• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SMH Best Wallabies of the modern era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Oh... the delicious irony of Matt Burke not only being on the panel which is asking for public input, but in the running for the fullback position.

Surely he realises this is a meaningless exercise, and won't mind if he doesn't win - after all, our opinions are meaningless, as we have never played rugby at the state/national level. Seems there are at least a couple of hundred SMH readers who missed his previous pronouncement!

A panel of Herald and Sun-Herald experts is debating the greatest Wallabies XV of the World Cup era - and we want you to help us make the final selections.

Our panel of World Cup winners Matt Burke and Ewen McKenzie, rugby writers Greg Growden, Spiro Zavos and Rupert Guinness and rugbyheaven.com.au editor Stephen Samuelson has narrowed the list of candidates in each position. Over the next two weekends, we will be asking you to vote on your preferred player in each position, starting today with the fullback and left and right wingers.

Candidates for fullback: (vote here)
Matthew Burke
Chris Latham
Kurtley Beale
Marty Roebuck
Stephen Larkham

Full article here

T

Tireless Backrower

Gotta go with Burke there, edging out Latham only just.

Its no contest: Burke. He was absolutely world class for a long time. Latham was never really world class, to those of a different view: he wasn't world class for nearly as long.

Also Roger Gould, given that he played in the Amateur era, would have to go close to edging out Latham thus showing the bias to current players inherent in these polls. Beale would be reserve to both at this stage of his career.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Bit harsh on Tune going up against Campese. They shouldn't have split the wingers into left and right! But i guess i'm a bit biased.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The most hilarious thing about the poll is that they tell you who to vote for. Why not just have short, non-biased accounts of each player, let people vote and save all the fawning poetry for when they announce the winners?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
will be interesting when they get to THP. McKenzie is the man there - no competition really.

W

wikman

Beale certainly couldn't be a realistic candidate as he hasn't yet played in a world cup. Have to go to Burke, was an absolutely brilliant player and kicker during his playing time. Would have been more of a legend if he wasn't plagued by injury after the 1999 world cup.

W

What2040

Burke and Will Beale ever reach out to be a great player over a long extended period of time - that is the true indicator of a great player.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
15. Matt Burke
14. Joe Roff
13. Jason Little
12. Tim Horan
11. David Campese
10. Michael Lynagh
9. Nick Farr-Jones
8. Toutai Kefu
7. George Smith
6. Willie Ofahengaue
5. John Eales
4. Rod McCall
3. Ewen McKenzie
2. Phil Kearns
1. Dan Crowley
--------------------------
16. Jeremy Paul
17. Andrew Blades
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Simon Poidevin
20. George Gregan
21. Stephen Larkham
22. Stirling Mortlock
Coach: Rod MacQueen

How many of that team would make an all-time XV? Eales, Horan, Campese- anybody else?

W

wikman

You could say Nick Farr-Jones would almost make it. Maybe as well Jason Little. Really depends on who's picking the team though

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
15. Matt Burke
14. Joe Roff
13. Jason Little
12. Tim Horan
11. David Campese
10. Michael Lynagh
9. Nick Farr-Jones
8. Toutai Kefu
7. George Smith
6. Willie Ofahengaue
5. John Eales
4. Rod McCall
3. Ewen McKenzie
2. Phil Kearns
1. Dan Crowley
--------------------------
16. Jeremy Paul
17. Andrew Blades
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Simon Poidevin
20. George Gregan
21. Stephen Larkham
22. Stirling Mortlock
Coach: Rod MacQueen

How many of that team would make an all-time XV? Eales, Horan, Campese- anybody else?

Mortlock ahead of Little.
Can't we get Ben Tune into 14?
I would actually have Beale at 22.
Cockbain and Wilson would push Sharpe and Poido as options.

At hooker, TPN is probably not a bad option, although Foley and Moore are also close. Unlike Jeremy Paul.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Firstly it is an XV, not 22.

15 Burke
14 Tune
13 Mortlock
12 Horan
11 Campese
10 Larkham
9 Gregan
8 Kefu
7 Smith
6 Willie O
5 Eales
4 Sharpe
3 McKenzie
2 Kearns
1 Harry

I could be convinced otherwise on the bolded ones. Think Kearns was a little overrated, and Moore and TPN are just as good.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Oh... the delicious irony of Matt Burke not only being on the panel which is asking for public input, but in the running for the fullback position.

Surely he realises this is a meaningless exercise, and won't mind if he doesn't win - after all, our opinions are meaningless, as we have never played rugby at the state/national level. Seems there are at least a couple of hundred SMH readers who missed his previous pronouncement!

Full article here

For fullback, Burke would get the vote easily. If I had to choose a fullback at their peak in a lineup, I'd choose Latham, or Beale, but Burke was very good for a very long time. Beales been very good for a short period of time. And Latham seemed to have a funny carreer, almost in reverse as he aged. He never seemed exceptional at the beginning, and then out of no-where, over his last couple of years he seemed to have sprouted a third leg and a pair of wings. He was amazing. And then at he went overseas.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit harsh on Tune going up against Campese. They shouldn't have split the wingers into left and right! But i guess i'm a bit biased.

I guess SMH reads GAGR. Now left wing and right wing. Obviously Campo on his wing, but they could give us a few more than 2 options on the other wing to at least make us feel like we're making a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.