• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Smith Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Some good news for you lot, Smith will return to SA after the last test. The reason being is to recover properly from his tennis elbow problem.

F

formeropenside

*shrug* One day cricket, who cares?

I dont understand why he wasn't targeted with more short balls throughout the series to date. The Aussies are not ruthless enough, these days.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope this will open the door for Vaugn van Jaarsveld from GMans Lions country. Quite a talent and have the record for the quickest ton in our domestic OD Cricket. Nearly lose him ala KP to the Poms but here he are, ready for the toughest test for a cricketer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
NTA said:
I blame Ponting.

So will Peter Roebuck.
Yeah, I noticed he mangaged to wring yet another column out of the Sydney test 2008 the other day. So that's about 10-12 he's managed to cut and paste on one subject / soap-box rant. Good journalism. Seriously, the guy is a twat of the first order. I noticed he even managed the paragraph where he described how he gave his free advice to Cricket Australia about the whole Harbhajan / monkey issue and how they should proceed but they foolishly ignored his advice. Can't imagine why anyone would choose to ignore the advice of such a sage figure as Roebuck? Yet again, he paints the whole incident as Australia's fault, with his usual craven grovelling to India. I agree with his assessment of Ponting as a captain, but his repeated calls for Ponting to be dropped altogether are just ridiculous. And his identification of himself as Australian just grates with me - he couldn't decide whether he was English or Zimbabwean, and shows total disdain for all things Australian. He is in the same box as Tony Greig for mine - Aussie for lifestyle purposes but nothing else.
Sorry mods if this is OT, but the weather up here on the north NSW coast is shite, and I needed to vent!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And interestingly on the ABC radio commentary he's fairly incisive - I guess in the moment of any shot being played or strategy being employed, he's not too bad. Its when he gets to sit and think in front of a word processor that things go astray.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And interestingly on the ABC radio commentary he's fairly incisive - I guess in the moment of any shot being played or strategy being employed, he's not too bad. Its when he gets to sit and think in front of a word processor that things go astray.

Yeah, I think his commentary is quite good as well, but everytime I hear him speak I recall some of his more over the top articles. He doesn't seem to have the guts to say the sorts of things he does in the SMH while on the radio next to guys like O' Keefe. Some of his fellow commentators must surely think him to be a bit of a d$ck, like the rest of us do.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Back to the topic - nasty broken knuckle for Smith. Those little bones can be real arses to get back into shape but at least he got it plastered asap.

T

Turban

NTA said:
I blame Ponting.

Ponting needs to give it up. THe problem is who do you replace him with? Clarke is young and leading the team to SA would be a huge task and risks knocking his form about which has been tops this series. Hussey probably has the opposite problems, too old to captain and his form is too poor. Who else is there?

Ponting can be a great batsman, he needs to focus on doing that again.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Turban said:
NTA said:
I blame Ponting.

Ponting needs to give it up. THe problem is who do you replace him with? Clarke is young and leading the team to SA would be a huge task and risks knocking his form about which has been tops this series. Hussey probably has the opposite problems, too old to captain and his form is too poor. Who else is there?

27 aint he? That aint young for my mine.

I'd be making him skipper now. The hardest part now is that Punter must stay in the team. He is our best batsman. That makes it tough, to have an ex-skipper there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
let's face it. It will be a rare person (ala Gilly) who retires from hereonin. When your earning $1,000,000 year playing sport, it really puts the onus on the selectors to make the call when a player's career is finished, not the player.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm also sick of current players "backing their mate to bat on" and all that shit. I think there should be a standard response to that sort of shit, and that is "no comment".

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's been puzzling to see Katich, Clarke and Hussey appear before the media in captains' guises recently. Has Ponting been injured? Or is it a portent of things to come?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lindommer, I think thats the because they want to show that there is a leadership "team" of senior players and it not just Ponting making odd decisions.

Katich probably is the next best contender after Ponting right now. I do wonder how secure his place in the team is long term though and my preference would be to keep Ponting for another 12 months and then hand over to Clarke at the start of next summer. Clarke has impressed my greatly in the series against SA, watching him bat live showed see how much he coached his batting partners and kept them focussed. Before then, I thought Clarke was maybe still 2 years away.

There is no reason not change the captain for ODI now though. I would personally like to See Ponting rested for these altogether to extend his test career by a year or two.

T

Turban

Noddy said:
Turban said:
NTA said:
I blame Ponting.

27 aint he? That aint young for my mine.

I'd be making him skipper now. The hardest part now is that Punter must stay in the team. He is our best batsman. That makes it tough, to have an ex-skipper there.

Ain't young? He could play for another 10 years.

Punter does strike me as a guy who would be difficult to manage in a team when he's not captain. I don't see him happily handing over the reins but remaining with the team. It's a shame that Pontings carrear has taken the turn it has over the last 12 months. It wasn't long ago I was wondering how long it would take Ponting to catch Tendulkar in centuries, now I'm wondering if he'll last out the ashes.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Back to Smith. He recieved a hero welcome back home only reserved for rugby players in SA. Listened to a local radio interview with him and he sure cant wait to get back on the field. Will play a view T20s for WeePee before the Aussies arrive once his injury heals.

Status
Not open for further replies.