• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Social Media Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Interesting to see the social media popularity of different teams and competitions, the BBL is kicking some massive goals.

f7685ea1a019acc67aba915314a69567.jpg

f08237773134cb2706da1cc231e0d480.jpg

a7f1bfc99c3c261a6d971fda5009d7af.jpg

http://mrblairhughes.com/ausnz-social-media-sport-ladder-where-does-your-team-stand/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

For the record the Wallabies have 868'000 followers and the All Blacks have 4.5million.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Normalising by the population of the area each team represents could be a useful metric to add. CBF'd doing it myself, mind. At least, not right now, anyway.

EDIT: In saying that, normalising in such a manner would assume that all of these followers reside within the area each team represents. Which patently isn't the case. Still, it could generate some more interesting insights than just the raw counts.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting that the Storm have five times more followers than the Rebels but pretty similar game attendance.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting that the Storm have five times more followers than the Rebels but pretty similar game attendance.

More bandwagon support at times due to success. The type of followers that will watch the team in a big final but rarely if ever go to a game. I'm sure the gap would close if the Rebels had a dominant couple of years.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Getting a follower or a like isn't something you can really control though is it?
It absolutely is. Like anything though, volume only tells you so much. Be interesting, and far more valuable, to see the engagement metrics, but they're not going to be publicly available.

All the Australian Soup teams do a pretty average job with their social media really.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
More bandwagon support at times due to success. The type of followers that will watch the team in a big final but rarely if ever go to a game. I'm sure the gap would close if the Rebels had a dominant couple of years.
Then I expect the Rebels will hit 300,000 by the end of 2016 :D

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
It absolutely is. Like anything though, volume only tells you so much. Be interesting, and far more valuable, to see the engagement metrics, but they're not going to be publicly available.

All the Australian Soup teams do a pretty average job with their social media really.

I actually think the Rebs do a pretty decent job, at least with Facebook and Instagram. What do you think they could do to make it better?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They're not on the list, but St Kilda were basically in the bottom 10 across the 5 big leagues in terms of Social media, they're now comfortably middle tier, we had a crap season.

Played to the lowest common denominator a bit, but lots of memes, captioned photos, sillier match day commentary, back and forth with other clubs pages, and a bit of self depreciating stuff thrown in there too. Our media manager got binch by the big cheeses at AFL HQ, so I don't know if we'll keep growing or not.

T

TOCC

Yep through people 'sharing' videos/posts/articles, retweeting, friends commenting on something, friends tagging each other, having competitions like posting your favourite fan photo and tagging the team. All of these build awareness and get the team popping up in other people's news feeds who might not already follow them.

I have a friend who manages the social media account of a women's clothing label, and it's pretty interesting the work that goes into it, they have posts planned for different times of the day, they know what time and day of the week is most likely to get a response. They plan a month ahead with content and plan competitions to maximise the exposure and increase their followers.

Reds seem to manage their social media accounts pretty well, lots of videos, competitions and a regular output of content.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The thing is, social media followers don't necessarily equal actual supporters. We can see that in the example of the Storm and the Rebels. I'm not saying that having a lot of followers on its own is completely pointless - having people follow you on social media gets you in the door, increases awareness and affinity with the team etc. But it's no use having millions of followers if you don't extract any value from them. The end goal must be to increase the fan base. If you double your followers and most of the new additions are simply people who find your memes funny or like the videos you share, but don't care about the team, then you haven't achieved much.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I actually think the Rebs do a pretty decent job, at least with Facebook and Instagram. What do you think they could do to make it better?
Poor is probably a bit harsh, they're more just completely textbook. Look at their Facebook for example, on any given day I can almost guarantee that they'll have one post at 8:30-9:30 in the morning, then another a 6-7:30 in the evening. Conventional wisdom is that gets you the best reach, people are reading on their way in to work - or when they've just got their, and then when they get home.

They've got their Instagram colour scheme on point, look at all those blues and reds. They're not pushing too hard with video though. Not really taking advantage of layout options. It's just a bit... Flat. Would like to see them going way harder with video/gif content this coming season. Are they on Snapchat? If so, run a decent length story all day every day. Through training camp, through the season, through everything.

What they aren't doing a great job of is building any sort of consistent narrative. It's just like oh it's this players birthday or oh #gorebels. You need to give people story and characters to get invested in.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The thing is, social media followers don't necessarily equal actual supporters. We can see that in the example of the Storm and the Rebels. I'm not saying that having a lot of followers on its own is completely pointless - having people follow you on social media gets you in the door, increases awareness and affinity with the team etc. But it's no use having millions of followers if you don't extract any value from them. The end goal must be to increase the fan base. If you double your followers and most of the new additions are simply people who find your memes funny or like the videos you share, but don't care about the team, then you haven't achieved much.
Which is why there are a whole load of internal metrics dedicated to tracking conversion rates etc. Volume is interesting, but it only tells us a very limited amount of information.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Which is why there are a whole load of internal metrics dedicated to tracking conversion rates etc. Volume is interesting, but it only tells us a very limited amount of information.

Yep, but I presume that teams would have different objectives on social media. The metrics that are most valuable to them will depend on this, as will their content. If your goal is maximising the number of followers then your content will be quite different than if your goal is to enhance loyalty and connection with genuine supporters. Don't think it's really possible to do both well at the same time. Having too much focus on the former, even if you get high engagement from it, could work against the latter and I think that would be a mistake.

Completely agree with your point about storytelling/narrative.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think the totals are way off.

Facebook + Twitter + Instagram = Total followers

I follow the Reds and Wallabies on all three platforms but am only one follower, not three.

I think a review of email addresses linked to followers would give a more accurate total.

If this is actually of importance then I would promote competitions during the game on TV and at the ground. Quick quizzes that can be tweeted and a prize won may get people to sign up.

Even a basic "which player will score the next try?", will this conversion be successful?". Quickly tweet your answer and win a double pass/other prize

Status
Not open for further replies.