• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SOPA & PIPA

Will the SOPA and PIPA Laws have a positive or negative impact on society?

• Positive

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Negative

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spooony

If you post something on Facebook (or Google links to it), its copyright material in the US, as that is where there servers are located. Therefore, you are in violation of US law on US land and can be extradited.
Now they will close Facebook and Google down for hosting copyrighted material and arrest the owners. Me would sit at home laughing at the stupid Yank laws

Let me explain who this law targets or try to target. The net will be the same. All you have to do is you need to cite the original when the pictures are watermarked and such. Passing others work on as your own is a copyright infringement. Its plagarism as well which is a common crime and everyone hates it so nothing much will change with that.

But P2P is the one they are trying to get here. Now P2P sites couldn't be touched because technically those files are not on the server. Its on peoples pc all over the world. So they can't touch a website hosting such a site. Now Swedish Laws already made a judgment about these american Internet laws slashing most of them un-constitutional. Thats why Pirate Bay is on a Swedish Server and have a mok page showing all the people threatening them with law suites and where they have written underneath it that they won't change or remove anything they must take a hike. So for some of the US ass kissing countries it will effect hosting P2P content like the torrent file. Others not. I mean hell we are talking about the same government here who told a sperm donor selling sperm directly to people that he must stop producing. So they are a joke really like all politicians

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now they will close Facebook and Google down for hosting copyrighted material and arrest the owners. Me would sit at home laughing at the stupid Yank laws

Not just the big 2. Ever Pinged gagr? the IP 74.207.253.194 is hosted in the US.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The seppos should just call that the We don't like Wikileaks Bill. But um..yeah..its about piracy ! Not censorship of course.

Oh shit, they will take down this website for that comment. And if there's a U.S drone strike in Sydney's inner west, you'll know why.

S

spooony

Not just the big 2. Ever Pinged gagr? the IP 74.207.253.194 is hosted in the US.
Yes but does the site belong to you? They are going after the owners of the site not the user posting it. The owner of the site is responsible for the content not the users. Like megaupload. They are going after the owner not the people who uploaded the stuff.

So website owners have a harder job to keep their sites clean and thats what all the bitching and moaning is about

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How are the US law world law? My country have a constitution and it protects me.
The same constitution that protected David Hicks? I look forward to being locked up in cuba without trial or charge for 5 years and having my PM back it cause he doesn't like my mates.

S

spooony

The same constitution that protected David Hicks? I look forward to being locked up in cuba without trial or charge for 5 years and having my PM back it cause he doesn't like my mates.
I mean. Me connecting onto the inter through a VPN then with some fake name to a site. Now I do something naughty. What are they going to do? They don't know my ISP. They have to get a court order for my VPN which only keep half of my IP which btw change everytime I connect and disconnect from the internet.

Thats why they go after the website owners not users. They can't touch me. They can't even touch piratebay!
The whole basis of this industry, that today is screaming about losing control over immaterial rights, is that they circumvented immaterial rights. They copied (or put in their terminology: "stole") other peoples creative works, without paying for it. They did it in order to make a huge profit. Today, they're all successful and most of the studios are on the Fortune 500 list of the richest companies in the world. Congratulations - it's all based on being able to re-use other peoples creative works. And today they hold the rights to what other people create. If you want to get something released, you have to abide to their rules. The ones they created after circumventing other peoples rules.

The reason they are always complaining about "pirates" today is simple. We've done what they did. We circumvented the rules they created and created our own. We crushed their monopoly by giving people something more efficient. We allow people to have direct communication between each other, circumventing the profitable middle man, that in some cases take ver 107% of the profits (yes, you pay to work for them).

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes but does the site belong to you? They are going after the owners of the site not the user posting it. The owner of the site is responsible for the content not the users. Like megaupload. They are going after the owner not the people who uploaded the stuff.

So website owners have a harder job to keep their sites clean and thats what all the bitching and moaning is about
The bill states that anyone who posts or links to copyright infringement material can be jailed for up to 5 years, proxies are going to be a wonderful thing to come by.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
The bill states that anyone who posts or links to copyright infringement material can be jailed for up to 5 years, proxies are going to be a wonderful thing to come by.

Encrypted Proxies without logs... And I still reckon you could trace source and destination easily enough if you had access to the link - which could easily be done with a court order.

And still I think they could use these laws to attack the owner of the proxy server.

S

spooony

Encrypted Proxies without logs... And I still reckon you could trace source and destination easily enough if you had access to the link - which could easily be done with a court order.

And still I think they could use these laws to attack the owner of the proxy server.
no you can't. feds and US government are using a modded Nasus. Nasus is what the ISPs use to set the billing and customer groups. Now with a mod they can see anything on the ISP's in the US but as soon as it leaves that gateway then it will go onto other networks belonging to other countries. So now they got to get a curt order in that country jus t to find a part of that trace. Remember your connection will hop about through 20 routers. A VPN in Germany are not allowed to log what oyu do or keep records of your full ip only the last 8 bits are kept. Then from your vpn after months of getting a court order in germany they are going to trace it from there. As I said my Ip change every time I connect disconnect so its impossible. They dont have the dough or man power. They couldn't even trace P2P. So they will just hunt the websites it posted on not the users. So the owners are responsible basically for the users actions. If you want to be real clever use a chinese proxy no way US would get anything there.

S

spooony

Yes but its impossible to trace the users so the owner is responsible for the users. Like with megadownload. They arrested the owner in NZ

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
They don't have to track/sue everyone. They just want to be able to scare everyone. They just need to make it legally possible. Then sue one person a year and ruin them.

S

spooony

They don't have to track/sue everyone. They just want to be able to scare everyone. They just need to make it legally possible. Then sue one person a year and ruin them.
If you sue me then you can't arrest me due to the fact its a civil courts matter not criminal. The party that sue will be the prosecutor not the state

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
as far as im concerned people that host P2P sites etc, should be liable for copyrighted content. i dont know if this is the law or not, but this notion that everyone has the right to something for free is just bullshit and the more people that have nothing due to it is good in my books.

S

spooony

as far as im concerned people that host P2P sites etc, should be liable for copyrighted content. i dont know if this is the law or not, but this notion that everyone has the right to something for free is just bullshit and the more people that have nothing due to it is good in my books.
The argument was that with P2P those files are not on the servers. Just torrent files so in a country like Sweden they could not touch them. Don't mistake P2P with Piracy. P2P is a legal protocol which is used for gaming and other things as well. Its what you use it for that can make it illegal.

But let me tell you a short little story. Some might know this but it was how Hollywood was created. See back in the days Thomas Edison got the patent for a device which would "do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear". He called it the Kinetoscope. He was not only amongst the first to record video, he was also the first person to own the copyright to a motion picture. Because of this patent it was close to impossible to create movies on the North American East Coast. Financially impossible more like it. So the fat cats moved to California to avoid this patent and so was Holywood created.

Now you might say WTF has this to do with anything. Now let me tell you. First due to the lack of copyright protection those days they manage to go around Thomas and make movies without paying him a dime. Then what they did and still do they take old books and make movies out of it making millions. So they took someone elses work and made a movie out of it without paying the creator a dime. Like that they been going on enjoying ripping content off for free. Then torrents came to light. What happened now is that what they did all those years and decades ago until then is being done to them. Someone taking their content and make a buck out of it without paying them. And torrents made their own rules and not playing by theirs. So what they did is to bitch and moan they lose so much but all of them are in the top 500 richest companies in the world.

So they are trying everything to stop that because the current 107 percent profits they are currently making for ripping other peoples content off is not enough. They want more more more. Rupert Murdoch was happy with MySpace and had no problems with their own piracy until it failed. Now he's complainting that Google is the biggest source of piracy in the world - because he's jealous. He wants to retain his mind control over people and clearly you'd get a more honest view of things on Wikipedia and Google than on Fox News. Pirates have crushed their monopoly and now they are pissed.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry spoony, that is the largest amount of shit ever compiled in a story. Isita press release fro a torrent site?

Your talking about two different things. Yes Hollywood attracted film companies cos it was a patent free zone protected by it's own laws. But even when they were ripping off people's books, they were still producing content, employing people and making something. This issue has been addressed through royalties, ownership and rights now.

What your basically saying is this is the same as someone making a torrent of something or hosting a site that allows people to download said torrent. That's just stealing, there not making anything, there just stealing it.

If Holden builds a car, I look at the car, drive it and then go home and work hard to make a car that looks like it, it's very different from me just taking the car and giving it away.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

On one level I agree, but even with music, very little of it is totally original, everyone is just copying old riffs and chord progressions that bo diddly was playing 60 years ago and adding some new lyrics based around a 'story' thats already been told. Granted that takes time, talent and inspiration to do, but still.

Two things I can see happening in the future. The first is that advertising is increasingly added to film, books and music in order to make consumers the product rather than the film/book/song.

Second is that there will be less money making shitty pop type music, the type of stuff that conjured up by a record label and put on high rotation by the commercial stations, but is not actually that good and soon dies out and if forgotten when everybody realises that. Hopefully this will lead to a better, more innovative and more quality focused music industry, albeit one that is harder to make money in. Will probably lead to more live shows and tours as well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Shitty pop music is the consumer product placement advertising you see coming to movies (that's already here) it's not going away.

S

spooony

Sorry spoony, that is the largest amount of shit ever compiled in a story. Isita press release fro a torrent site?

Your talking about two different things. Yes Hollywood attracted film companies cos it was a patent free zone protected by it's own laws. But even when they were ripping off people's books, they were still producing content, employing people and making something. This issue has been addressed through royalties, ownership and rights now.

What your basically saying is this is the same as someone making a torrent of something or hosting a site that allows people to download said torrent. That's just stealing, there not making anything, there just stealing it.

If Holden builds a car, I look at the car, drive it and then go home and work hard to make a car that looks like it, it's very different from me just taking the car and giving it away.
No I was using a torrent site as a example. I am not saying it is right. What I'm trying to tell you they are no different than those pirates. The pirates are playing their games but with their own rules which means they lost that means of control. Making movies doesn't create jobs. I mean lets look at Fantasia which is a old book they ripped not paying a sent to original author and made millions with it. Was 200 jobs created? No a couple of fat cats pushed it in their pockets.

They are doing the exact same thing the pirates are doing. Ripping other peoples work off and making a free profit on it. Doesn't matter if the material is old. Someone elses work is still someone else work. They are the ones pushing for the laws because they want to rip of work alone by their rules. So do not think I say pirating is ok they do it I used it as a example and they are just as wrong as the ones they trying stop.

And no its not stealing. Stealing is taking someones property without permission where they sit with nothing. Me stealing the car out of your garage thats stealing. If someone make a copy they still sit with the product. The following explains it very clear as I see you need a bit of spoon feeding

See, when a pirate downloads a full version of a piece of software, the pirate isn't leeching bandwidth from the company's servers. The pirate has to download the software from some other person who has already purchased it. So bandwidth costs because of the pirate are zero for the company. Furthermore, the pirate isn't depriving any other potential customer of the game: he has not physically removed a copy of the software from a store shelf. There's no loss of sale for the company there, either. The software company paid absolutely nothing for the packaging or manufacturing of the product. Given the nature of computer software, it was downloaded from someone else's computer; so no manufacturing was needed.
It could be argued that piracy amounts to lost sales because a pirate would be motivated to buy the software if he couldn't download it. However, given that pirates go out of their way to search the internet for pirated copies and to wait for the software to finish downloading, it's still highly unlikely that they would have ever bought the software, whatever the circumstances. Pirates don't want to go to the store, and they don't want to pay money for software. So this can't be legitimately construed as a loss of revenue.

Piracy is not right, since you are using the good or service originally provided by the company without legitimately paying for it. Just as stealing is wrong, piracy is wrong, too.
Remember how Steve Jobs introduced the iTMS by showing how it's music download service was a much more reliable alternative to the underbelly of file sharing? Software companies need to do the same thing: they need to discourage the use of piracy not by implementing draconian copy protection measures, but by offering quality software in a convenient, acceptable manner. So, as a customer, here is some free advice to software companies that I can provide to reduce piracy.
Difference_a81f8d_1439175.jpg

People are making more money out of fake copies and then go sell it on street corners for a 6 in 1 dvd. Its a huge business in Taiwan and rival the drug industry. Yet they are not worried about those like they go running around the Internet. There are a lot of legal torrents as well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
First of all, here is the crew list from Fantasia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032455/fullcredits#cast
Second of all, here is the crew list from piracy
Bigboy69

A lot of people work for Disney, a lot of people worked on the project, yes the use of music has been disputed in courts, settlements have been made and laws in regards to copyright have been made to address this. I don't see why laws shouldn't change again to addrss it now.

The justification from the "pirates" side is so weak. Suggesting that an "argument could be made for loss of sales" is rediculus. If a product has demand and people make copies of it for freel, then sales and therefore revenue suffer. The next time something gets made, instead of a crew of 200, suddenly there is 150 and then 100. All cos the fat ass in his mums basement probably wouldn't have gone to the store anyway.

There seems to be this groudwell of support that because someone is rich at some end that its alright to take from them. That they have ripped everyone off. That's all well and good, but would you do your job for less cos someone was worse off than you? For every paramount pictures or Disney there are thousands of little independents struggling just like local shops, the time frame for them to make profit off there films and shows is vitually non existent now. It's only going to get worse and yet suddenly everyone seems to think there entitled to whatever they can get.

The arrogance to post a list of people wanting to sue you on the front page of your website, or host a site out of your ow country to get around laws just shows how stupid and arrogant these people are that when someone try's to do something about it they sit there and claim freedom of speech. There scum nothing more, and I hope each and everyone of them gets taken to the cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.