• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South African Rugby - Proper Dinkum Ridgy Didge Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl got pissed at me for not supporting his team. Sorry. I can't support the Stormers. If they had a progressive coach, who TRIED the get his team to play rugby then maybe. But keep playing that caveman style and they deserved to lose. Get fucked, Cape Town. The best thing that could ever happen to Stormers rugby finally has with Coetzee leaving. Years of wasted talent and an inability to come up with an style that can win championships. It borders on criminal what this guy did to your rugby. I'd call for his head if I was a Stormers supporter.

I am as sick of the crap the Stormers serve up as I am about the my team, the Bulls. It's not progressive. It's pathetic. Oh we did not have Duane and Schalk on Saturday they say. Well you kept kicking everything away. How would they have changed that?

Let's see if the Bulls and Stormers have the BALLS to pick the best man for the coaching job or if they will stick to jobs for mates. I will wager a packet that they WILL NOT take a bold step.

Robbie Deans and John Michell are both looking for a job. Todd Blackadder might be soon and so is Ewen McKenzie. But the SA franchise bosses don't want a coach who tells them to fuck off, this is they way I am going to do this shit. No thanks. Just look at the Sharks. Jake White did it his way but the Sharks management didn't like it (you can argue for or against Mr White but he gets shit done). They chose the nice guy as coach who got steamrolled by senior players. I bet John Smit and Brendan Venter thought ah, Gary Gold is such a nice guy. Hugs all around. Is it beer time yet?

People talk about quotas killing SA rugby. It plays a massive role, and will even more so before long. However, egos are really killing our rugby. Small dicked, big headed fluffybunnys who think they know everything and won't pick the best coach because they are worried that so and so "won't fit the culture", or "won't connect with the players". Their fucking egos can't handle a strong personality who doesn't come from their insular little tribe. That's the reason. They will rather wallow in the mire .

South Africa do not possess the coaches who can take the next step. That's as fucking clear as day.We have the players. They are being let down by the assholes in their ivory towers who cannot look beyond the end of the boardroom table.

Cheika, Jamie Joseph, Larkham etc etc. These are guys who have taken franchises who were doing poorly, innovated and are seeing result. At the moment this guy does not exist in South Africa.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
However, egos are really killing our rugby. Small dicked, big headed fluffybunnys who think they know everything and won't pick the best coach because they are worried that so and so "won't fit the culture", or "won't connect with the players". Their fucking egos can't handle a strong personality who doesn't come from their insular little tribe. That's the reason. They will rather wallow in the mire .
It's a fair rant, Blue. Paarl is probably a bit shellshocked to reply.

Some sort of culture shift does seem required. The Super Rugby coaching upheaval across the board would indicate so. But like you say, the players are there. An upswing could be possible in as short as 3-12 months.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How much of an impact has the massive exodus of players to Europe had on the teams there? Just seems like it would have to have a major impact even if it's only on the team's ability to make decent injury replacements etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Classic rant, @Blue. Much of it is equally applicable to the Leather Patch Shiraz Swillers running Australian Rugby as well.

2015 was always going to be a tough year for teams looking for a Coach, due to the RWC, and the time is right now to sack current coaches if they are not performing, because I reckon quite a few top quality coaches will come on the market post RWC15 as various Countries complete their post RWC reviews, and the Coaches themselves review their career progression plans to position themselves for RWC19.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Blue I think that the SA teams are all over-coached. To such an extent that the players can only play to a pre-arranged plan. If plan A does not work then they are farked. The standard of schools rugby in SA is extremely high. The schoolboys play some of the most entertaining rugby I have ever seen. As you move through the age groups the individual brilliance becomes less and less as the players have thjis coached out of them. The risk taking by coaches is also reduced.
Compare that to Aus who have such a small pool of talent, but manage to get far more out of it by proper coaching and an intelligent game plan.
One of the hardest things in life is supporting a SA team, they just never manage to live up to the potential that they have.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
How much of an impact has the massive exodus of players to Europe had on the teams there? Just seems like it would have to have a major impact even if it's only on the team's ability to make decent injury replacements etc.

The players remaining will be a thin spread over six franchises.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Blue I think that the SA teams are all over-coached. To such an extent that the players can only play to a pre-arranged plan. If plan A does not work then they are farked. The standard of schools rugby in SA is extremely high. The schoolboys play some of the most entertaining rugby I have ever seen. As you move through the age groups the individual brilliance becomes less and less as the players have thjis coached out of them. The risk taking by coaches is also reduced.
Compare that to Aus who have such a small pool of talent, but manage to get far more out of it by proper coaching and an intelligent game plan.
One of the hardest things in life is supporting a SA team, they just never manage to live up to the potential that they have.

It's a fair point and I think the cricket team has the same problem at times. Rugby at below Super level in South Africa is fantastic to watch from what I've seen, but it does become very conservative at rep level.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Larkham took over a team that made the final. Not doing poorly.

Larkham was part of the coaching setup that brought the Brumbies back from the brink or are you suggesting he has had nothing to do with their rise?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

An impact sure. But it would go a long way to have coaches who can make the most of their roster. which the current crop has not done. Other than Ackermann at the Lions.

There is a plethora of talent in SA. Enough to compete better if coached well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
An impact sure. But it would go a long way to have coaches who can make the most of their roster. which the current crop has not done. Other than Ackermann at the Lions.

There is a plethora of talent in SA. Enough to compete better if coached well.

Given the lack of talent at the Lions (did anyone make the Boks squad?) their performance over the last two years has been absolutely exceptional. So why isn't Ackermann more highly rated? You'd think the richer franchises would be breaking the door down to get his signature, but he doesn't seem to get much credit.

Based on the last two years, he would have to be the best-credentialed senior coach in South Africa and a walk-up start when Meyer goes. But I haven't heard that he's held in high regard, more the contrary.

Does anyone have better information on how he is regarded?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And, while we're here, is there still a bit of Voortrekker vs Soutie going on in SA rugby?

Reactions: Tex

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I was chatting with a SA born rep at work today. He told me he is supporting the Boks this RWC but it will be the last one. He is so disillusioned with SARU next year he is switching over to his adopted countries team.

Pretty damning stuff.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I was chatting with a SA born rep at work today. He told me he is supporting the Boks this RWC but it will be the last one. He is so disillusioned with SARU next year he is switching over to his adopted countries team.

Pretty damning stuff.

He is not alone. I know some diehards who have done the same. Sure I know a lot of people who are a bit fickle but I know people who are staunch Saffers and identify strangle in every regard who are supporting the Tahs and the the Wobs now. Sure they still root for SA, but they aren't committed any more.

I am not anywhere near yet but boy I'm getting fed up.

It is going to get worse. The quotas are going to kick in stronger next year from what I hear. Much stronger.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
IF the Boks struggle at the RWC, would they take a chance on a guy like Ackermann or circle the wagons and plan to bash and plod harder?

T

TOCC

Next year will see a massive shakeup of the South Africa conference as well...

Obviously you have the addition of a 6th team which will spread the talent further, but you also have the addition of the Argentinean team who have been recruiting very well and the Japanese team which I've heard nothing about. So 3 new teams making a total of 8 teams in the South African region split across 2 conferences.

The top team from each conference get a home QF and the next highest ranked team on points will secure a wildcard position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Whilst I have had Allende score many points in my Super fantasy team this year, I'd target him as the weakest link the Saffies' defence should he get picked, he sometimes tries to tackle by pulling on the carrier's arm.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Whilst I have had Allende score many points in my Super fantasy team this year, I'd target him as the weakest link the Saffies' defence should he get picked, he sometimes tries to tackle by pulling on the carrier's arm.
Kafe picked it up. He drifts sideways with his body faceing the sideline. Time and time again he gets stepped. Until he fixes that he cannot play test ugby.

BUT.

His useless coaching staff should have picked it up months ago. but they don't. They just look at the team's record in defense which is good and carry on. His missed always get mopped up by his back row.

I have on good authority that de Villers will be eased back during the tests and if he comes through reasonably unscathed he will captain in the World Cup.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Next year will see a massive shakeup of the South Africa conference as well.

Obviously you have the addition of a 6th team which will spread the talent further, but you also have the addition of the Argentinean team who have been recruiting very well and the Japanese team which I've heard nothing about. So 3 new teams making a total of 8 teams in the South African region split across 2 conferences.

The top team from each conference get a home QF and the next highest ranked team on points will secure a wildcard position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is enough talent coming through to make a proper go of it if we get proper coaches in place. That is my point.

Look at the Lions and the Rebels. For the most part dirt trackers with one or two stars. That's it. They compete. In the case of the Lions they did more than compete.

Quickly off the top of your head name 10 Lions players. See my point?

Status
Not open for further replies.