• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Post your SIRU 2013 thoughts, gossip and ideas in here, check back weekly for updates as the season gets underway.

Any mail on 2013 Coach and Player movements?

Reddies lose a few, Tahs and Griffith have new coaches (Hugh Palmer and Lee Kimball respectively), what's happening down on the border?

SIRU will possibly gain a combined Hay/Deni team as RARC appear to be out of the 2013 competition, there's talk about a different finals format in 2013 pending a vote by the clubs.

I'm already looking forward to the 2013 season - there's only 20 odd weeks to go!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
yms, what're the kms for trips to Hay and Deniliquin from, say, Wagga, Albury and Young?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Lindommer - Surely of all the GAGR members you are aware that it is a long way from Deni or Hay to most places in Southern NSW!

Bus trips are the order of the day when visiting these towns and they are very liquid trips home!

Hay - Deni = 120kms

Wagga - Deni = 275kms
Wagga - Hay = 270kms

Albury - Deni = 200kms
Albury - Hay = 325kms

Tumut - Deni = 400kms
Tumut - Hay = 370kms

Young - Deni = 415kms
Young - Hay = 390kms

Griffith - Deni = 225kms
Griffith - Hay = 150kms

It must be said that these two clubs are amicable hosts and put on some great days for their home games - and they are both obviously committed to rugby in this area.

Pending acceptance by the SIRU clubs, Hay and Deni would share their home games so that clubs don't split when they play these two clubs.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thanks, yms, just making sure we're all aware of the distances involved here. Especially those wet blankets from Illawarra who don't want to travel the extra 90km from Bundanoon to Wollondilly to get a game.

As a matter of curiosity, what's the greatest distance for a match in NSW? Somewhere in the north-west I'd wager.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Southern Inland to announce 2013 Rep 'Head Coach' @ Sundays AGM. Watch this space!

SIRU & Brumbies Provincial coming on 2 consecutive wins (2011&2012) will be big shoes to fill ... Im sure this guy has big feet.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Announcement made at the SIRU AGM that Richard Turnbull will be the 2013 SIRU Head Coach supported by Mick Small and Luke Eldridge.

Great news for the zone and having a Level III Coach for SIRU should flush out some interest in the rep team that will play in the Brumbies Provincial Tournament.

jb23 Beat you to it!

GottaloveSIRU

Frank Row (1)
So Scott Glover is the Albury head coach for next year. Scott has been assistant coach for the last couple of years. Dave Stewart is going to stay involved in coaching and take on an assistant role.

Still a few retirements from down on the border. Looking like 'House" our big prop is set to retire, Justin Wheatley isn't looking like he'll run around again. Knob Hanniford is the same and Brighty from last reports is still retiring.

Do we know who was elected as president for SIRU for next year?

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
No longer in the circles now that the new year has officially rolled around, but I'm hearing words of Mick Wakeling being the main coach of his beloved club in red out on campus with some other old boys to help out.

Other rumours suggest the boys in blue were shy about giving a young female journalist the name of their new coach, considering its been on their website for months it hardly rates as a back pager.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
2013 Season Thoughts.

Hi folks, apologies for being a bit slack over the off-season, although I'm sure that those of you who are local or in the know have been keeping an eye on Pam Whaley's great work over at the DA, see links to her stories on Griffith, Wagga City, and SIRU.

From my point of view, I can add the following:

Wagga Waratahs will welcome back travelling international coach Hugh Palmer as their 2013 First Grade Coach. They've got good numbers coming through the ranks which will be interesting to see how things unfold for those regular second graders.

Aggies will be happy to have Richard Turnbull involved again, but my mail says that it will be in a lesser capacity than it was in 2012. There will also be a glut of halfbacks vying for the First Grade #9 at the College.

City will be keen to see how their recruiting campaign pans out and will definitely be sweating on Hamish Wrafter to hang around for 2013. I'll be interested to see what Jason Lagaali brings to the coaching table, he has been coached by some quality coaches in the past, I wonder whether that will come through for the Boiled Lollies.

CSU will be under the pump this year. Mass player departures will not help their cause following the loss of Stirling Ross, Dave White and Jack Burey (all regular long time First Graders). Mick Wakeling will have his work cut out for himself but does have the benefit of having a strong local profile having worked with a lot of the zone's younger players in the past.

Griffith will be very happy to have club stalwart (and ex SIRU Coach) Lee Kimball back at the helm. Lee has an uncanny ability to get the most out of his players and I'm looking forward to seeing how his hard work pays off for the Blacks.

Leeton will be looking to build on what is a solid forward pack under Greg Horton and Matt Allen as co-coaches again in 2013

Albury. I'm hearing that there will be a combined coaching team down on the border with the likes of ex President Scotty Fraser and Dave "Wal" Stuart being involved. I wonder if Albury will manage to coax Nathan Bright and his hombres out of retirement for one last hurrah?

Tumut will need to dig deep again for Tim Graham. The mill may be a great drawcard for the town, but it can be a drawback for the footy club when it comes to shift work. Hopefully the Bulls can wrangle a few this year.

Young will be happy with Luke Eldridge signing on for another season. Luke's positive attitude to all things rugby are a real highlight for this zone and it's a wrap for him to be involved with the rep team again this year.

Temora have gained Apenisa Tudulu as their 2013 coach. Benny has been there behind the scenes for a long time now and I think Bill McCrone will appreciate the lighter load allowing him to focus on playing footy.

Cootamundra haven't confirmed their coach for 2013. I worry about that because these guys have potential and need a strong leader to take charge and point them in the right direction. Hopefully the Tri-Colours get this sorted and can progress into 2013 seamlessly.

RARC have folded and will not take part in the 2013 competition. At this point in time, it's looking like there will be a bye round for First and Second Grade but watch this space to see where things are headed for Hay and Deni.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Cootamundra have announced their 2013 Coach as ex NSW Country Rep Andrew Glover following the resignation of long-term coach Kristian Bodycott.

Wagga Girl Rebeka Lally has been making some headlines also, hopefully this publicity bodes well for the 2013 Women's 7 a side competition within SIRU.

An update on the Griffith Blacks also. It seems that reputations bring in old blood to the club with Lee Kimball securing the services of handy 5/8 and ex-Manly First Grader Seru Rogo as the Blacks Backs Coach in 2013. Seru blew the competition apart in 2003/4 and will be a great influence on the Blacks, particularly if they can get him on the park.

Also, ex Griffith Black Enoch Tia looks set to play for Griffith in 2013 along with Andre Boon. Could the Blacks be set for a fair dinkum resurgence in 2013?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Albury Steamers this year are having a solid pre-season. Lots of numbers from last year, but still missing a few.

Steve Stone ex Coach of Welsh team Neath is leading the charges along with Nathan Honeyman and Dave Stuart. Scott Glover on his way to Canberra.

A degree of confidence about the season ahead

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to hear namtrak, further to that inroads have been development wise though the scotts school. Hopefully this can see a futre U17's steamers.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Things have been fairly quiet for the last few months in SIRU as clubs begin preparing for the season, but things are starting to heat up in the zone with the Cootamundra 10's played yesterday at Country Club Oval.

10 Teams were in attendance as follows: Griffith Blacks x2, Cootamundra Tricolours, Grenfell Black Panthers, CSU Reddies, Wagga Waratahs, Temora Tuskers, Young Yabbies, Wagga City and Yass Rams.

The weather was pretty warm for what was a beautiful autumn day in the Riverina and all the teams seemed to have a good hit out to blow the cobwebs out of the system.

The pool rounds were played in good spirits with some teams struggling with the heat during the day - maybe some more running is required over the next few weeks for some?

The Griffith Blacks had some good numbers over there with plenty of support shown by those in attendance, it was also great to see the formerly mighty Grenfell Black Panthers running around. CSU were able to blood some of their younger up and coming players while the Temora Tuskers had a chance to show off their international flavour in 2013.

Waratahs played in good spirits and showed off some good individual skills, the Yabbies seem to be in a similar position to 2012 but I didn't get a chance to have a decent look at them over the course of the day. Wagga City had strong support and looked to have built on their 2012 season. Cootamundra had some ups and downs but were probably focussed more on hosting than playing.

Wagga City and Yass played off in the final which really highlighted the strength of the Wagga club as they ran away 48-7 winners. I think the longer game time and previous string hit outs was just too much for the Rams as City cruised through to an easy win.

The games were played in a good spirit and probably showed all clubs where they are at versus where they need to be at this stage of the season. It was good to see so many new faces on display at most clubs. Cootamundra, Temora, City and Griffith have all recruited well over the off-season and I'm looking forward to seeing how these teams come together over the coming months.

The Yass Rams were the surprise package of the tournament with a good mix of youth and experience and some hard hitters on display. Yass #17 - Connors was a standout in all games on the day and will be a handful if he continues with the Rams in the Monaro competition in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.