• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I've heard that Harden have nominated a 2nd grade team this year so that could be another option for Coota or Young.

I've heard that they are interested in playing in SIRU, possibly in a 2nd Grade format which is being driven by the local publican (as most good publicans do :) ). Coota and Young have both nominated 1st and 2nd Grade teams for 2015 which would leave Temora as the only option for Harden to be involved in.

The issue that I see here is that both clubs (Temora and Harden) have sponsors who they have obligations to and the visiting clubs do not like to split their teams.

It would have been good to see Temora nominate 2 grades, I think they would have found the numbers in the end. Hopefully this isn't a step back for them as they've had a really hard working committee who have put a lot of effort into the Senior and Junior clubs over the past decade that got them up to 2 grades which was a great asset to the zone.

While the Wagga clubs have a large population to draw on, it is the strength and ongoing viability of the smaller towns that determines the strength of the competition.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Harden actually have 2 options don't they - play as Temora's 2nd Grade or take part in the 3rd Grade Competition - the more teams in each Comp the merrier
Any news on the Coota 10s tomorrow ? - how many Clubs have entered and what time does it kick off

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Harden actually have 2 options don't they - play as Temora's 2nd Grade or take part in the 3rd Grade Competition - the more teams in each Comp the merrier
The way I see it, they don't have many options really. The competition kicks off in less than a month, these sort of requests need to come through the AGM and Council Meeting to allow clubs to consider what impact it will have on their club. What would the Railway Hotel in Temora say about the Tuskers taking home games to Harden? What will the other clubs say about having to split their teams if that's the case?

It makes more sense for Junee to be involved with Temora than Harden. From a geographical perspective of course.

I agree with "the more the merrier" and SIRU has definitely tried to work around all clubs in the past, it's not as simple as just signing them up as Temora's seconds. 3rd Grade is the easiest place for them to sit, maybe they can play there in 2015 with a view to presenting options to clubs for a 2016 combined Temora/Harden team.

Any news on the Coota 10s tomorrow ? - how many Clubs have entered and what time does it kick off

6 teams have entered, not sure what time kick off is though. Probably 10am.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
He is the "Devil's advocates view" for Hardens inclusion. In SIRU 3's Hardens round trip to Hay is approx 850kms. In SIRU 2's the round trip to Deni is approx 900kms. In Monaro 2nd Div round trip to Jindabyne is approx 650 Kim's. These are all just numbers but I do recall a club east of Wagga that refused to travel west of Wagga for 2 seasons and that was even after SIRU had organized for Hay to play their "home game" in Leeton as an enticement to get this club to travel west of Wagga.

McMullen Cup is starting to show signs of becoming a stand alone 1 grade comp, not just a 3rd grade comp, much as it was in the early 2000's when it had Hay Deni Hilston Riv Army & Border Army in the comp. Travel is a huge commitment that should not be discounted/underestimated and as I have stated before there is probably only 2 of the big clubs who have shown that they can continually split week in week out year in year out.

McMullen Cup would be a good starter/entry point for Harden but I wonder what some of the 3 senior grade clubs really think with another team split being added to their season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any reports from Coota 10's?

Won by Leeton, haven't heard anything other than that. Not much to report for pre-season to be honest.

Tumut are hosting Wagga City and Royals this weekend at Jarrah Park.

Does anyone else have any mail on pre-season matches? I hear that the SIRU Knockout may be on the backburner?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I heard it was a pretty long day at Coota and the standard was pretty average- Leeton beat City in the Final according to the DA
The Leeton 15s is on March 21st and there is no sign of a SIRU pre Season Tournament on the recent Draw that was released
I 've heard that Aggies are also hosting Bathurst this weekend

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Coota are hosting Bungendore this Saturday in a Trial, Tumut are hosting Royals Canberra & Wagga City in a 3 way trial at Jarrah Park this Saturday & Aggies are playing trials aginst CSU Bathurst at Conolly on Saturday

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Coota are hosting Bungendore this Saturday in a Trial, Tumut are hosting Royals Canberra & Wagga City in a 3 way trial at Jarrah Park this Saturday & Aggies are playing trials aginst CSU Bathurst at Conolly on Saturday

Any Results from the trials on the weekend?
I heard that CSU Bathurst pulled the pin on Ag College at late notice. This resulted in a 1st grade vs 2nd grade intraclub trial match

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
CSU head to Tumut this Saturday for a Trial & City head to Leeton
Things seem to be pretty quiet leading up to this year's Competition
My mail is Aggies will be strong and no surprise with this prediction Leeton will be the big improvers
Aggies host Leeton in Round 1 at CSU with the following Round 1 Matches on Apr 11;
Albury v Waratahs, Tumut v Griffith, City v CSU, Young v Temora & Coota v Deni (2nd Grade)
Has anyone seen the makeup of this year's 3rd Grade Comp yet

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The rather secretive Laffan Cup for University Rugby clubs was recently held in Sydney. Newcastle Uni, Hawkesbury Ag College, Sydney Uni, Macquarie Uni, Uni-Norths (ACT), UNSW attended with Woollongong Uni apparently pulling out at the last moment. There was a bot of a flurry of posts about it on the Sydney Colts 2015 thread.

Apparently the Australian University RU selectors were there to select an Representative team. In the pre-professional days, this organisation had some standing occasionally playing NZ Universities but of late I'm not sure of what they do. Uni Games only offer a Rugby Sevens competition.

My question is are CSU aware of the Laffan Cup (similar question for UNE rugby but not for this thread), or is it some sort of Sydney (and local special friends) arrangement where you need to know and to be on the inside to score an invite to participate?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The rather secretive Laffan Cup for University Rugby clubs was recently held in Sydney. Newcastle Uni, Hawkesbury Ag College, Sydney Uni, Macquarie Uni, Uni-Norths (ACT), UNSW attended with Woollongong Uni apparently pulling out at the last moment. There was a bot of a flurry of posts about it on the Sydney Colts 2015 thread.

Apparently the Australian University RU selectors were there to select an Representative team. In the pre-professional days, this organisation had some standing occasionally playing NZ Universities but of late I'm not sure of what they do. Uni Games only offer a Rugby Sevens competition.

My question is are CSU aware of the Laffan Cup (similar question for UNE rugby but not for this thread), or is it some sort of Sydney (and local special friends) arrangement where you need to know and to be on the inside to score an invite to participate?

Not sure TBH HJ. I know of one player from CSU - Wagga who played for Australian Universities and then vanished into thin air but this was a while ago now.

It is possible that CSU were made aware of the tournament but chose not to attend, there might be some value in a combined CSU (CSU-W, WAC, CSU-B, OAC) playing in a tournament like that?

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
What's the word on form from the pre season games?
Waratahs look like they did well in a trial against UNSW and Goulburn.
Reddies beat Tumut?
I'd read the DA but there hasn't been an article about SIRU in weeks. Is it the DA not having a go or are clubs not giving them the stories?

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
From all reports the Steamers have a pretty quite pre-season. Concentrating on fitness and unity I think. Bright and House have retired and a couple of the backs have moved on as well, some rebuilding afoot.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Reddies beat Tumut?
I'd read the DA but there hasn't been an article about SIRU in weeks. Is it the DA not having a go or are clubs not giving them the stories?

The mail I hear to date is that the Leeton Blacks Phantoms will be the big improvers, Ag College seem to have recruited well and have some good numbers at the club, Waratahs seem to be status quo from 2014, Albury lose a few old heads, Young are building and Wagga City's star recruit is injured at the minute.

Early season form is early season form, gossip is gossip, let's see what's what when the season kicks off. Only 3 weeks to go!

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
@yourmatesam , what's is the story with the clubs. I'm hearing after the draw some clubs were still undecided on a fielding both 1st & 2nd grade, namely Griffith & Temora ???

Also funny you mention that the comp is 3weeks away, it's crazy we are up to Round 4 this weekend, makes for some HOT rugby and sunburn lines

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Reddies beat Tumut?

Good Point about the DA Coverage - the Paper itself has become an absolute Joke - do not blame the Clubs at all
The DA has got hardly any staff and if you buy a copy look at the number & size (Big) of the Ads - bit of a disgrace
The way it is going with Fairfax Media & The DA you will be lucky to see any scores & Ladders each Monday
I used to buy the DA but have better things to do with my money instead of buying extra Toilet Paper for the Family

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gave up reading the DA months ago they have got no idea
I heard a rumour that Junee & hay may be playing in the 2nd Grade Competition this year ? after SIRU put a bit of pressure on them

Status
Not open for further replies.