• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I've said it before on this thread, that I reckon the only way to sustain rugby on the region, particularly in the small towns is to adapt something along the lines of what the Central West NSW have in place. A competition where sides can supply 1st, 2nd, 3rds and another competition (Central West call it the "Village Comp") for the clubs who are only able to supply one grade.
Central West is the strongest Country rugby competition in NSW (I don't cont Newcastle or Woolongong as country!) so they're probably not a bad zone to get some advice from.
I agree Sam, its probably got to happen sooner rather than later (2016)
Similar to the country rugby around Canberra, Premier is 4 grades including colts, Div 1 is two grades and Div 2 is a single team; works well up here with Crookwell v Taralga a fantastic derby!!

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The Village Comp is a good idea in theory but it probably needs a minimum of 6 Clubs for it to work in SIRU - at the moment the 1 Team Clubs in the SIRU comp as far as I can work out are Hay, Temora, Junee & Deniliquin which wouldn't work.
Clubs should be looking at ways to get stronger not Weaker because once you lose your Reserve Grade it's pretty hard to get back

Zist

Frank Row (1)
Looking at the DA online, all the articles are on AFL and Group 9. Surely with the season starting in 2 days there could be at least something for SIRU? Have I missed anything, or is there a ban on SIRU news? There is all this talk about player numbers dropping in SIRU, but if the game isn't promoted in the local papers (especially when it is full of Group 9 and Riverina/Farrar FL) we are fighting an uphill battle to get the next generation of kids to play Rugby in a very competitive sporting town. Combined with an increase in fees, unfortunately I think Rugby has a fight on its hands to get numbers in the Riverina.

oosik

Frank Row (1)
We've relied heavily on Mick for years to write DA articles. It is disappointing to not see any articles in the DA, however, if we don't write them for the DA there will be no publications. The DA is on a downward spiral

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
i'm going to put my Tipping Hat on and pick the winners in Tomorrow's Round 1 of the SIRU comp - Albury v waratahs- Albury to win, Tumut v Griffith- Griffith to win, Young v Temora (Young), City v CSU (City just), Ag College v Leeton (Aggies)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round 1 - 1st Grade scores- City 35 d CSU 19, Leeton 25 d Aggies 15, Albury 50 d Waratahs 10, Griffith 17 d Tumut 5, Young 26 d Temora 13

2nd Grade;

Wagga City 22 d CSU 17, Ag College 26 d Leeton 7, Waratahs 62 d Albury 0, Tumut d Hay , Cootamundra 36 d Deniliquin 5,

3rd Grade;

CSU 50 d City 5, Leeton 32 d Ag College 0

Womens' 7-A-Side;

Wagga City 17 d CSU 0, Leeton 44 d Ag College 7, Waratahs 46 d Albury 0, Temora 48 d Young 0, Griffith 36 d Tumut 0

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's a great win for the Phantoms yesterday because my mail was that Aggies were going to give the Comp a shake this year.
Seru Rogo must be a very Good coach

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Great to see Young putting in a 16's and 18's side in the ACT Junior Competition.

This is a great outcome from a sad demise. Young have always threatened to become a SIRU rugby powerhouse and this will be one more step down that path. As long as Canberra doesn't 'CherryPick' the young ones out of the Yabbies seniors.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
This is a great outcome from a sad demise. Young have always threatened to become a SIRU rugby powerhouse and this will be one more step down that path. As long as Canberra doesn't 'CherryPick' the young ones out of the Yabbies seniors.
Ha Ha, I see what you did there...

Seth Stoltenberg is a Yabbies Junior and is one example of the solid junior pathway that the Yabbies have put a lot of effort into.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
If young yabbies want to claim a former junior,
Perhaps angus crichton is a good start

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ There is another (elder) Carter as well.

Throw in the Clancy twins who are the same cohort as Crichton.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
@hugh jars the Clancy twins from that 'cohort' are from up the hill at Tumut'.

Also I hear a rep team is being assembled for the May country champs, can anyone shed any light on players selected??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Rep Squad announced:

SIRU Rep Coach Richard Turnbull has selected the below squad from a total of 71 players who made themselves available for the 2015 Rep Program and it looks like a pretty sharp team, particularly in the backs.

There are plenty of options amongst the inside backs for Richard to work with combinations there - Manion, Olds, Manulaveo, Curgenven are all proven performers from 10-13. There are also some big boppers in the forwards in Ben Leaper, Ash Lefevre, Chris Latu and Daniel Dowson to lead from the front.

It's been a while between drinks for SIRU at the NSW Country Championships with SIRU's last outing in 2003 before the Brumbies affiliation began. In terms of ongoing commitment to the NSW Country Championships, SIRU have only been invited to the 2015 Competition, however there will likely be a review of SIRU participation by NSW Country, SIRU and Brumbies Rugby post-tournament.

Historically, SIRU have been a little off the pace in terms of competitiveness but will likely be able to mix it with the teams in the second tier. From my perspective, I would suggest that this tournament gives SIRU the chance to see where they stand in the greater scheme of things and also to prepare for the showdown with NSW Country on the 13th June at Bruce Stadium.

The SIRU Rep Pathway has caused much debate in recent years and 2015 provides the perfect opportunity for players from this area to showcase their talents to a wider audience.

Ag College and Albury are the two teams with the highest representation - I wonder if this is any indication of likely standings later in the season?

SIRU have drawn Western Plains on the first day of the Richardson Shield in Bowral at 10.10am. Further games are dependant on results in the competition.

The SIRU Rep. squad is;
Tom Dunstan, James Grimmett, Ben Leaper, Tanian Naude & Sam Hobbs (Wagga Ag. College), James Daley & Steve Tracey (Wagga Waratahs), Ash Lefevre, Aaron McDougall , Richard Manion, Liam Krautz, Blake LeCornu & James Olds (Albury), Rambo Lagaali, Seth Stoltenberg & James Curgenven , (Wagga City), Nick Gleeson, Daniel Dowson, & Chris Latu (Griffith), Daniel Patu, Maika Ravouvou & Farrel Maota (Leeton ), Tino Manualevo (Tumut)

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree with your Comments - some pretty handy players there - seems to be plenty of depth there as well
Krautz is an interesting selection in the squad and I presume they have picked him as a flanker but he can play in the Centres as well
How old is Rambo Lagaali ? he deserves his place in the side no matter what his age is

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Two Preview:

Morning all. First up, my apologies for not getting a season preview or Round One preview up, I don’t have the time that I used to at the moment!!

Secondly, I’m not tipping a Match of the Round this week as I think there are three games that have the potential to bag that title and at this early stage of the season (and with a seriously quite pre-season) I think it’s too hard to try and pick the most important game.

Some gossip – Who was the ex Ag College Premiership Winner having a beer out at the uni last week? Maybe he’s keen to link up with his old partner in crime in 2015? A change of scenery and a return to competitive rugby may be on the cards?

CSU (9) v Albury (1)
According to my sources, tackling was optional for CSU last week and it took them a good 15mins to wake up and start playing rugby. A continuation of this attitude will no doubt cost them some serious points against the Steamers this week.

From what I have seen and heard around the place, 2015 will showcase some real attacking flair in the backs and the Steamers have some gems in this regard. Richard Manion and James Olds are two quality ball players and their influence on this game should be a highlight.

CSU will welcome some new players into the forwards this week and will be relieved to see Brad Armstrong back in Red this weekend. The mercurial Paul Hood will have his work cut out for himself against the slick Albury backs – How many more years has Shoody got left in him?

Waratahs (10) v Young (3)
What happened to the Waratahs last weekend? An absolute drubbing at the hands of the Steamers was unexpected and something one has come to expect from the NSW Horrortahs, not the local variety.

2015 will see a new breed at the glamour club with many new faces breaking into the team this year to compliment the older heads across the park. Losing Matt Binks will hurt these guys and it looks like finding a replacement will be high on Coach Mitchell’s priorities.

The Yabbies have been very quiet during the pre-season but I think they are going to be a danger team this year. I think the word “team” will be a key statement for the Yabbies this year also as I hear that there aren’t any rockstars but plenty of workhorses to get the job done. It was good to see the Yabbies bagging a first round win also.

Temora (8) v Coota (11) – 1st Grade only
The Tuskers have had a rough off-season over the break, however I hear some reinforcements are on the way and that Coach Tudulu has been scouting the islands for some talented players.

Cootamundra appear to be in a similar position to the Tuskers and this game is the perfect opportunity for the Tri-Colours to determine how they will travel later in the season.

Deni v Tumut (7) – 2nd Grade only

Griffith/Hay (5) v Ag College (6)
Aggies had plenty of opportunities last week, however just couldn’t turn pressure into points against a committed Leeton Phantoms outfit. Sam Hobbs will be a key player in this game against a large Griffith pack as he will need to guide his forwards around well.

Daniel Dowson v Ben Leaper will be a key matchup, particularly these player’s ability to take their team forward. Also watch out for Chris Latu who is a damaging ball runner at the best of times!

Griffith did well travelling to Tumut last week and coming home with a win, a big effort for a club that had some well documented issues over the off-season. From what I have heard about Griffith, there are some obvious omissions in Vunibaka and Rawaqa, however the core of the team has stayed in Griffith which is a good sign for the Blacks in 2015.

Leeton (4) v City (2)
When was the last time the Phantoms won a first up match? Leeton played a smart game against Aggies and managed to make the best of their chances which ultimately won them the game.

From what I have heard about Wagga City, they are going to look very different in 2015 with a very mobile forward pack whilst maintaining some spark in the backline with James Curgenven leading the way.

The Phantoms will be happy to face their big town opponents on home turf this week and I reckon this match will be a tough hitout for both teams. Leeton’s inside backs led the way last week and allowed one of their key defenders to move into #6 last week which was a key in stopping their opposition’s go-forward.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
These are my Winners (in Brackets) for Round 2;
CSU v Albury (Albury), Griffith v Aggies (Griffith), Leeton v City (City), Temora v Coota (Temora) & Waratahs v Young (Waratahs)

Status
Not open for further replies.