• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
@berrablue, the players wouldn't have to "give up the chance to have a run around at Bruce before a Brumbies game" (Brumbies Provincial Slection)

The BP championship to be held in wagga in 2015 would remain the top priority for the Siru rep team, that is a condition from the Brums & the board, going to Cntry Wk would just be a bonus add on

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I have two points here. One, that SIRU would not be playing in a higher standard of competion at country week and two, if the players can't get picked in the Cockatoos why give up the chance to have a run around at Bruce before a Brumbies game.
Good points @berrablue, I understand that SIRU will be playingin the second tier of the competition which they should be competitive at. I don't think attendance at Country Week would exclude SIRU from playing in the Brumbies Provincial Championships.

On the BPC, I hear that South Australia were quite surprised at the level of competition (particularly SIRU) and that they are keen to have a more committed approach to 2015 in Wagga. I've also heard rumours that Tasmania are interested. Not sure how valid the Tasmanian rumour is but the more the merrier. If SA have a crack it can only increase the standard of the competition which would hopefully lift the Monaro & FSC guys as well.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
@yourmatesam, Any inside scoop or rumors in regards to the Tah's head coach??
I heard that they might be looking at a Coaching Director type role as well as a 1st grade coach, if they could get their man/men?? A name mentioned in the conversation surprised me!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@yourmatesam, Any inside scoop or rumors in regards to the Tah's head coach??
I heard that they might be looking at a Coaching Director type role as well as a 1st grade coach, if they could get their man/men?? A name mentioned in the conversation surprised me!

I can confirm two things with regards to this.
1 - It's not me.
2 - It's not Hugh Palmer.

Over.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks for the reply @yourmatesam. However, sheds no light on the information I have, as neither yourself or Hugh were mentioned.
Over.

I heard mention of a similar structure but no names mentioned. I think a lot of the clubs in the zone would benefit from a coaching panel type arrangement as a way of lightening the load for the coaches in the club.

If you were to breakdown the number of hours that a 1st Grade coach would spend on rugby on a weekly basis, I would start counting at 20hrs which is a significant commitment in anyone's book. The group coaching model would assist in dividing tasks amongst specific areas. Food for thought anyway.

Who was the name that was mentioned to you?

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
The time spent on rugby is a significant factor any potential first grade coach does need to consider. The smaller clubs or "country" clubs really find it tough, as they simply do not have the personnel at their disposal to have a coaching director type model. On the other hand though, there can always be the old "too many chiefs, not enough Indians" situation which Ag College found themselves in 2014.
It was mentioned to me that Richard Turnbull would be Tah's first choice as in a director type role, however work commitments may be the biggest hurdle there. Another name mentioned was a guy who had an assistant role or was rather involved with another club in 2014.
Despite Megginson saying they were happy with their list, I know they are scouting for a Fly Half.
I've got three names, but two play for different clubs & one hasn't played in a while.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Good to see the SIRU Board vote to go to the Country C'Ships next year at Bowral- It will be interesting to see who puts their hand up for selection

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
read on the SIRU Website that the SIRU Rams will play the SIRU Redbacks as a curtain raiser to the Super 15 trial next year.
it will be interesting to see who puts their hand up to coach these 2 teams.
I reckon Small will put his hand up for the Rams job but haven't got a clue who would take on the Redbacks position.
The concept is great & I hope the players support it

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The concept is great & I hope the players support it

This is a "Back to the Future" type concept and worked really well in the early 2000's when I was lucky enough to still be running around.

Way back then there were a number of very competitive rugby teams in this area that were able to provide some high quality players from the likes of Griffith (Seru Rogo, Bill Bainbury, Junior Vakolaloma), West Wyalong (Sykes, Matt Cooper), Grenfell (Hughes Brothers, Nowlan Brothers, Cooper Brothers, Brook Butler and a speedy winger), Albury (Bell, Alexander Brothers, Wes Grayson (Army) possibly also Wheatley?), City (Crowley, Galloway, Fraunfelder), Waratahs (Herriot, Benecke, Francis, Walker, Saddler, Condon, Brabin) Tumut (Roche, Mason), Condobolin (The Halfback that won a million B&F points was handy), Hay ("Carp "Bell, Jim Ives), Rivoll (Hoody, Shoody, Gordon Refshauge, Bump, Matty Conn, Geoff Davis and another second rower), RARC (Waters, Dumigan and many others).

That's not to say that there aren't handy players out there in SIRU at the moment (and maybe I'm just reflecting on a Sunday morning!) but from my memory there were a lot of handy players spread across the zone and the players were very much at the same level/age/experience etc.

I seriously hope that the local players get behind this, it's the first step in building towards a solid rep program. My mail tells me that South Australia are building well for the BPT in June. Also, what a great stepping stone to a SIRU return to Country Week.

If I was playing and knew that SIRU were going to Country Week, I'd want to take the chance to show the other zones in NSW how strong we actually are and this starts now. As much as I don't agree with the separation between Brumbies/NSW Rugby and Country Week it is a good chance for those players who are putting their hand up to show the other competitions what they are made of. Start working now and give it everything you've got...

Do I sound like a has been already? :)

Or a never was!!

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
I understand there is some pretty fired up clubs down in the SIRU in regard to the new insurance approach by the ARU and the Brumbies. I thought I might provoke a bit of discussion with a few questions.
An Aussie rules club in a small club like Holbrook can generate up to $110k for match payment each year. Why then are rugby clubs with all there 'blue blood' supporters battling to pull together enough cash to subsidise their players??
Secondly on any given day there over winter, 90% of the daily advertiser/prime sport etc is taken up by league and rules reports. What can SIRU clubs do to raise the profile of the sport in the area?
Surely by addressing the above two questions we can build the sport rather than sitting on our hands saying poor us.
While it is not fare to compare the Canberra comp with SIRU due to population and the fact that we have a Super team, I still think that we have done a good job a raising the profile of club rugby over here.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Big News out of Griffith Today with the departure of Seru Rogo. Also likely that Rawaqa has moved on also.
If the chat on Vuni is true also it'll be a very different Griffith team 2015!!!

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Surprise ! Surprise ! - Griffith bought the 2014 Competition if you haven't worked it out already- some of their players were on big $$$ to stay with the Blacks in 2014- The money has run out now and the players disappear

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
Surprise ! Surprise ! - Griffith bought the 2014 Competition if you haven't worked it out already- some of their players were on big $$$ to stay with the Blacks in 2014- The money has run out now and the players disappear
This is the attitude that holds rugby back from being as successful as other codes in the Riverina. It really gets me down. By no means were Griffith miles in front of everyone throughout the year, in fact by my recollection they lost a few games mid season. If they had gone undefeated and beaten everyone by a hundred points I might have a different opinion.
Through good connections and undoubtably a relatively small amount of cash they picked up some bloody good talent. I for one am glad to see Easts have picked up Rogo as he will help Easts get back on track which is what this comp needs, but it's a shame Griffith couldn't hold on to him and keep up there winning ways.
If you want SIRU to be regarded as a C grade sport, then by all means discourage clubs from investing in talent that lifts the standard of the entire comp, but if SIRU is to lift standard of play and encourage teams to get better then everyone should support talent being injected into the comp.
What do you think sponsors and supporters want to see?
If you want to keep rugby a true 'grass roots' game, there are plenty of third grade teams to support on a Saturday.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)

lol someone is a little upset

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
This is the attitude that holds rugby back from being as successful as other codes in the Riverina. It really gets me down. By no means were Griffith miles in front of everyone throughout the year, in fact by my recollection they lost a few games mid season. If they had gone undefeated and beaten everyone by a hundred points I might have a different opinion.
Through good connections and undoubtably a relatively small amount of cash they picked up some bloody good talent. I for one am glad to see Easts have picked up Rogo as he will help Easts get back on track which is what this comp needs, but it's a shame Griffith couldn't hold on to him and keep up there winning ways.
If you want SIRU to be regarded as a C grade sport, then by all means discourage clubs from investing in talent that lifts the standard of the entire comp, but if SIRU is to lift standard of play and encourage teams to get better then everyone should support talent being injected into the comp.
What do you think sponsors and supporters want to see?
If you want to keep rugby a true 'grass roots' game, there are plenty of third grade teams to support on a Saturday.

Don't have a problem at all with Clubs helping out players with jobs, pocket money, rent assistance etc etc but my point is that the 2 High Profile Players for Griffith this year cost them an arm and a leg to play with the Blacks in 2014 and now they look like they have disappeared leaving the club with a dark financial hole say to speak. The Blacks are always crying poor but they only have themselves to blame with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.