• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
My Week 2 Finals Selections

McMullen Cup winners - Deni, Hay, Waratahs & Griffith in a close one over CSU
Womens Rugby - Leeton to run rings around City & CSU to get up in a close 1 over Tumut ?

2nd Grade- Griffith to knock off minor premiers City and Waratahs to do it pretty easy over Tumut in the Minor SF

1st Grade- Waratahs to look after Leeton preety comfortably and City to sneak home against Tumut in an upset

Lets hope the sun stays out for the rest of the week and Sat because someone told me the Grounds are pretty wet & heavy at the moment

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Griffith Blacks are good things for this year's 2nd Grade Grand Final at this stage- City won't win this weekend but will benefit the following week if their 1st Grade side gets knocked out this Saturday because they'll be able to drop several players back to 2nds

Does anyone know the Referee appointments yet - Some teams play well under certain Refs whilst others just don't see eye to etc for some reason.

Overall i reckon the standard of Referreeing has been pretty good this year

Go The Blacks

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I believe former Wagga Juniors Stu Dunbar (Syd Uni) and Harry Burey (Norths) are playing against each other in the Shute Shield 1st Grade Grand Final this Saturday

That's a great effort

Go Norths

willym

Bob McCowan (2)
Really looking forward to the City and tumut game in 1st Grade! After last year its amazing what finals footy can turn out like and all the advantages are with City you would have to say?
Home Ground advantage, confidence, it looks like they are playing a much quicker brand of rugby than what Tumut did last week....

It would be sad to see Tumut get knocked out but there is a real possibility if all Tumut grades getting the flick this weekend. CSU girls are pretty handy but i believe Tumut Bullettes got the result last time? 3rds Tumut are playing a very strong Hay side, 2s are playing a pretty handy 2s side in waratahs that have plenty to prove and again in 1s the game should be very close....

Im sure Chappy and Jock will have the boys flying but looking forward to a belter! Even better if Tumut win against City and Tahs get the result,;) making Leeton go to Tumut on their home Turf the week after would be a good game :)

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
No. 2 Ground will be pretty heavy tomorrow - that may suit the Tumut Bullettes because they play a pretty tight brand of 7s whereas the CSU Girls like to play a more open Game
I must admit I'm looking forward to all the Finals tomorrow because of the large number of Clubs represented
Let's hope the Weather stays Dry

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Guess my multi is done

c/o Courtney Rees

"Tumut go out in straight sets for a second year running as Wagga City stays alive with a 30-22 win"

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Week 2 Finals - major semi 1st Grade Waratahs 54 d Leeton 5, Minor Semi final Wagga City 30 d Tumut 22 - other scores 2nd Grade Griffith 17 d City 15, Waratahs 60 d Tumt 7, Women's - Leeton 26 d City 15 & CSU 27 d Tumut 15 - McMullen Cup - Hay 22 d Tumut 5, Deni 27 d Aggies 8, Waratahs 60 d City 0, CSU 33 d Griffth 5

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good Morning GAGR Tragics.

Discussion Point:
The Australian Women's (and Men's) Teams are well competitive at the games, with the Women a genuine shot at Gold at RIO and incude some local talent in Alicia Quirk and Sharni Williams.

The ARU will likely push for more focus on these formats of the game post RIO and if the Women or Men bag Gold, expect that push to have some Government money behind it too.

How should SIRU harness this increase in participation and how can we attract and retain players at all levels of the game in this area of the world across the many different formats (7's, Viva, 15's)?

Discuss.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Good Morning GAGR Tragics.

Discussion Point:
The Australian Women's (and Men's) Teams are well competitive at the games, with the Women a genuine shot at Gold at RIO and incude some local talent in Alicia Quirk and Sharni Williams.

The ARU will likely push for more focus on these formats of the game post RIO and if the Women or Men bag Gold, expect that push to have some Government money behind it too.

How should SIRU harness this increase in participation and how can we attract and retain players at all levels of the game in this area of the world across the many different formats (7's, Viva, 15's)?

Discuss.

Not such a big fan of 7's Rugby, however as a side note I have always considered Wagga's superior Touch Football competition has given it a leg up in the women's rugby arena and transition between juniors and seniors in men's rugby. So it follows that developing the 7's programs, particularly in schools, will only benefit Rugby across the region and Australia.

In regards to the finals, a couple of very interesting results. Full kudos to Wagga City, it has been a long time coming and momentum counts for everything in finals football. I imagine Seru is sweating on his halfback, as he is such a crucial lynchpin in their go forward game. In fact I would go as far as to say, that next weeks result will depend on if he plays or not.

Without seeing the game, I would also suspect that the Leeton's braintrust would not be shattered by the result against Mitchells Ferrari- given Dyer's early injury and a yellow card. If Leeton can keep 15 fully fit players on the paddock for 80 minutes they could do the unthinkable. Big week on the training paddock for a couple of clubs....

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Funny about you guys talking about 7s because the best match I saw at Conolly yersterday waws the Women's 7s match between Leeton & City

Whilst 7s is only for certain shapes and certain speeds (very fast) it is entertaining because the Match Officials have to take a back seat and the players get to play

Whilst I see your points with Wagga Touch etc I wonder why the Leeton Dianas have dominated the Womens 7s Comp since it kicked off

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)

I was not a fan of 7's as a player (price of being in the $1.15 club :() but as a rugby man I can see only good in the format. But it is like 20/20 is to test cricket ! If using 7's as a gateway to the real thing is the way to draw in potential players then I'm all for it.
To me , the best option SIRU has (and I think JB23 may have tried it when he was here) is to try and run a summer of 7's program . Make it officially sanctioned through SIRU. My thoughts:
1. Play it saturday twilight style games (beers on the hill!)
2. Play it every 3 -4 weeks
3. Have mens, womens and colts
4. Emphasis involvement rather than competition at this stage. Let it evolve to competitive!

As to Leeton Dianas ! Our girls tried their best and think they went bloody close, but that's a special team they've got there in leeton. As to why ? Culture is a big thing for that side I reckon, plus they may not have many alternatives in leeton in terms of womens sport ?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This Saturday could be the tale of two Waggas. The Waratahs are vying to fill 4 Grand Final spots, Wagga City are looking to fill 3 spots. Will the thoroughbreds complete the clean sweep or will the Seabiscuits of SIRU overcome their history?

The extra travel for Leeton might work against them as well...

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Seems very quiet in Wagga this week. Not much out of the Wagga City camp. I think that is a wise decision, keep as much as possible in house and concentrate on the momentum that the club has built going into this weekend. Maybe the DA is just spending a little more time on Rio as well.....

Going to change my tune and pick the Lollies this week. I think their confidence, coupled with the doubt over the Leeton halfback and the extra travel for Leeton will work in Cities favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.