• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@CoachMickR has tipped correctly. Wagga City through to their first Grand Final since Jesus was a boy.
City 29 bt Leeton 19

Further results to follow.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Results

City 22 d CSU 5 - Women's
Waratahs 53 d 19 City - 2nds
Waratahs 22 d Deni 10 - 3rds
CSU 17 d Hay 12 - 3rds
1sts -City 29 d Leeton 19

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A great result for both Wagga City and Waratahs. Full kudos to the Wagga City coaching staff for maintaining the Seabiscuit storyline. I'd be thinking this is going to be a long week for both clubs for different reasons. City could end up emotionally exhausted over the next 6 days and I reckon Will Mitchell will be imagining all kinds of horror scenarios.

The result will depend on one group of players - the Wagga City forward pack, and their ability to firstly hold and then take it to the Waratah Gringotts. Even though City have the momentum and the 40 year wait, I wouldn't be underestimating the drive of the wizened old walnuts down at Romano's. Those boys haven't won a GF for over 4 years, and have lost 2 in the interim - which in Waratah years is about 80 years.

Waratahs by 20

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well done to the Boiled Lollies - it's been a long wait !!
City have played Sudden Death football for several weeks now and seem to be thriving on it.
As much as I can't see them winning next Saturday they deserve their spot and it is very good for the Club as a whole getting the Men & the Women into the Grand Final
If there was a coach of the year then City's Nathan Honeyman would surely be the favourite.
I'm hoping for a City upset followed by the Wallabies doing the same thing in the Bledisloe next Saturday Night
We'll never hear the end of it if Waratahs win all 3 Grades
What a great Weekend of Rugby coming up

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
There is a few similarities with the way both teams got to the grand final this year as last season.
Albury were undefeated last year only to be pushed all the way by a Waratahs team that finished 4th in he GF

Will history repeat or will City coz the upset of the year.
I'm backing City by 5

RuckHunter101

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to City for their win on Saturday in Tumut, I thought Leeton would have come out with a lot more ambition to take the win after their loss to Waratahs last week. However, I feel that City will not be up to the task to take down the undefeated Waratahs in this weekend’s grand finale. City have been a scrape through team all year and only just beat the Aggies in week one due to a poor penalty call in front of the sticks not only that tries in that match were flukes at best from City. This weekend’s grand final will see Waratahs become Undefeated Premiers for 2016 with City to put up a fight for the first half and Waratahs to run away with it in the Second. Final Score 47–12 to the Tahs

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Keep an eye on the GAGR front page for the preview this week punters.

Timetable for the games on Saturday is below:

11:10am 3rd Grade Waratahs v CSU
12:45pm 2nd Grade Griffith v Waratahs
2:15pm Women's Leeton v Wagga City
3:15pm 1st Grade Waratahs v City

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Predictions Time

3rds - Reddies by 5
2nds- Waratahs by 10
Women's - Leeton by 10
1sts - Waratahs by 25

Another Prediction - City supporters to outnumber Waratahs supporters by 3:1

Should be a cracking Day and the Bledisloe later that Night

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Grand Final Previews:
Congratulations to all teams who are present on Grand Final day this year. You have all earnt your places here and now is your opportunity to put all your hard work and effort onto the park one last time for this season! Hopefully you can bring home the biscuits in your respective match.

The BOM radar is not as clear as we would like and temps are predicted to max out at 12oC which is not a bad temperature for the day as long as the rain stays away. The pitch is in tip top condition for this match, a bit of rain on Friday will probably help the surface a bit but it's looking pretty sharp at the moment.

First Grade:
Waratahs v Wagga City, Conolly Park #1 @ 3:15pm, Referee: P Dean

Check out the GAGR front page for the First Grade preview, so good they named it twice...

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-2016-wagga-wagga-grand-grand-final-final-preview-preview/

Second Grade:
Griffith v Waratahs, Conolly Park #1 @ 12:45pm, Referee: S Donelan

There was no love lost between these two teams in Griffith in week one of the finals where Griffith got the better of Waratahs on their home turf. Waratahs have played some tough games in recent weeks whereas Griffith arguably got out of jail in their match against Wagga City thanks to a missed penalty late in the game. Will the path each team has taken be a bonus or a curse for each club?

Griffith are the kings of broken play running and will make any team who wants to play a loose game pay very dearly, they also have a plethora of ball running options at their disposal and when these runners are on song, they are hard to stop.

Waratahs are more likely to play to a structured game plan with definite goals in key parts of the field and will look to their experienced forward pack to lead the way. The Glamour Club tend to focus their game plan around starter plays from scrum and lineout which appears to be working well for them this season.

Keep an eye on: Ina Pulega and Alaparti Taifai (Griffith), Sam Priest and Pat Barrett (Waratahs)

Third Grade:
Waratahs v CSU, Conolly Park #1 @ 11:10am, Referee: M Ryan

A battle of the old heads here for sure and a match that will likely be a pretty tight game. Waratahs and CSU have traditionally been strong competitors in the Thirsty Thirds competition and although they probably wouldn’t admit it, they really like playing against each other…

I would expect CSU to use their nouse to get themselves around the park in this match, particularly with the “back to the future” pairing of Leon Larsen and Paul Hood through the middle. Waratahs will be keen to use their experienced backline to finish off strong forward movements. A key question for Waratahs this week is “Will Simon O ever work”?

Keep an eye on: Tom Finucane and Frank Coorey (Waratahs), Johnny Fekeila and Paul Hood (CSU)

Women’s Sevens:
Leeton v Wagga City, Conolly Park #1 @ 2:15pm, Referee: M Dwyer

There is no doubt that the Diana’s will go into this match as hot favourites, they have been undefeated for two seasons for a reason and deserve to head into this match as the top team of the competition.

Both these teams are able to throw the ball around and will want to show their wares in this department on the big stage. Neither team is particularly structured and that ties in well with their catch-pass game and ability to spread the ball to the fringes.

Substitutions become important in the Seven’s format in SIRU and Wagga City have been using Terri-Ann Cain as an impact player to great effect recently. The Diana’s have also been able to rotate some key players at key moments which tends to reap rewards for them.

Keep an eye on: Bulou Baravilala and Monique Higgins (Leeton), Lyndall Callaghan and Laura Hogan (Wagga City)

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
can there be an upset looming at Conolly Today ? - No I don't think so
City have shown some great fighting qualities to get to the Big Dance today but this is where it stops because they just haven't got the players in their side that will go with Waratahs for the FULL 80 minutes.
Waratahs have class, speed , toughness and a big big desire to win after losing last year to Albury.
This will have to be the one we had to lose for City who could be on the verge of plenty of Finals apperaences in the near future.
A number of waratahs players will finish up after their victory today and the Comp will be a lot more open next year

Other selections are Waratahs to win all 3 Grades, Leeton to win the Womens
My Best & Fairest prediction is Sean Kearns- Waratahs breakaway

2 former SIRU Clubs face off in a C/West 3rd Division Prelim Final Today (Temora v Coota at Temora) the winner between these 2 Heavyweights will take on Blayney at Blayney next Weekend !!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks you linesmen, thank you ball boys. Great day of rugby and a nail biter of a game in the big one. Time for a few frothies now team, more information to follow tomorrow.

#SIRU2016 Grand Finals - 1st Grade -Waratahs 28 d City 25, 2nds- Waratahs 34 d Griffith 19, 3rds- Waratahs 21 d CSU 0, Womens - Leeton 21 d City 12

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
YourMateSam: who picked up the medals from each game ?
Rivcoll Old Boy
Bill Castle

SIRU Grand Finals Results at Conolly Rugby Complex, Wagga -Saturday Aug 20

1st Grade;

Wagga Waratahs 28 d Wagga City 25

Best on Ground- Rivcoll Old Boys Medal - Sean Kearns (Waratahs)

Best & Fairest for the Season - Bill Castle Medal - Winner - Angus Le Lievre (Waratahs)
- Runner Up- Menzies Seumanatafu (Tumut)

2nd Grade;

Wagga Waratahs 34 d Griffith 19

Best on Ground- Warwick Tout Memorial Medal- Tom Hobbs (Waratahs)

3rd Grade;

Wagga Waratahs 21 d CSU 0

Best on Ground- Ken McMullen Memorial Medal- Tom Finucane (Waratahs)

Women's 7-A-Side;

Leeton 21 d Wagga City 12

Best on Ground- Adamson's Medal- Aimee Spowart- ( Leeton)

Best & Fairest for the Season - Alicia Quirk Medal- Winner - Tara Arnall (Tumut)
- Runner Up- Monique Higgins (Leeton)

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yesterday was one of the best Grand Finals Days I have been to at Conolly
It was good to have the 4 Grand Finals on the one Field and the atmosphere in the 2nd half of the Tahs v City 1st Grade decider was electric.
Well Done to City from fighting back from a 19-3 deficit at one stage in the first half- I certainly didn't think that they would end up making the outcome a nail biter
If Curgenven (City) kicks the conversion with about 6 minutes remaining then City are up 27-25 and Waratahs would have been in big trouble
A good competitive season comes to a thrilling end
Well done to the Leeton Women's team - they are a talented group

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A magnificent day of rugby at Conolly Rugby Park in the sporting capital of the western world, albeit a tad cold and wet. Considered myself lucky I decided to travel to Wagga rather than Homebush for Saturday's fixtures. One (un)lucky Waggatah raced off the ground after his lower grade GF to jump in a taxi and dash to the airport and on to Sydney for the Bledisloe, shoulda stayed in Wagga to celebrate his win!

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks for running this show during the year YMS.

I think SIRU is in a healthy position, if for the last 3 years a roughie and the favourite have made the GF and the roughie has pushed the favourite right up until the final whistle.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks for running this show during the year YMS.

I think SIRU is in a healthy position, if for the last 3 years a roughie and the favourite have made the GF and the roughie has pushed the favourite right up until the final whistle.

No dramas mate, the aim is to promote SIRU as far and wide as possible, thanks for your contribution, positive as always!

Status
Not open for further replies.