• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I reckon only 3 Teams can win the Comp this Year - Leeton, Waratahs or City
anyone disagree ?

Competition of 2 sides i reckon. Leeton and Tahs well ahead of everyone else.

Then its City, Ag College and Albury.

City touched up by tahs, touched up other opposition.
Ag College touched up by both Tahs and Leeton.
Albury beating sides below losing to sides above.
Tumut strong on the weekend. potential dark horse (finals) as season continues.

This weekends City vs Ag college may show who gets the second chance in week 1 of the finals.

On a side note. Not long now until rep season is upon us. Who (new or returners) has put their hand, up early for representative duties? interested to hear thoughts on a 23 man side from our esteemed colleagues.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Solutions? Go back to the roots of the club - students. Get old boys back into the club who are part of the fabric of it and let them bring the culture with them. CSU haven't been a student-oriented or dominated club for over a decade.
I can remember playing them back in the day when they'd have a cast of thousands roll out of their dormitories and play rugby, have a few drinks, cheer, have massive nights back at the Tavern and have a genuine ownership of the club.
Those days are gone, unfortunately.
They might survive, even if they don't go back to their student roots and build from there. But they will be a de-facto Uni club, which is very sad for the blokes of a bygone era.

I actually don't think any other club would let this type of degradation happen to it. Could you imagine the Aggies moving away from their student base? I don't think so. Too much pride in the jumper.

I think your'e missing my point mate. The Reddies haven't chosen to abandon the student base. The constant cycle of students between Aggies and Reddies is occuring again right now, to the benefit of the Aggies and the detriment of the Reddies. Students are looking at Ag College as the student option. The Reddies are trying to win that base but battling. Their attentions towards other recruitment options are more likely a result of realising on a yearly basis that they are missing the student base.

The constant chirp around the Reddies need the students is incessant.
Everyone gets that they need students. Continually offering this advise is pointless and incessant. The big question here is how? Talking of the collapse of the Reddies is so negative. it shouldn't surprise us though... Its often the standard around here.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Finals can do funny things - I'm pretty sure Leeton would have been short price to win the last two preliminary finals but never got there and the last two grand finals (although won by the favourite) have been very close and could have gone either way... Having said that the results so far suggest a race in two...

I reckon the Phantoms backline would have to be a fair chance of SIRU selection - the games I've seen their 12 and 14 have really shone. It looks also like their 10 is benefiting from the quality outside and is putting his hand up.

Aggies loosies and Tah's tight forwards are also look pretty good.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Bit early for writing off sides for my liking ! All sorts of things can happen between now and then.

Ive heard good things about Devlin from Albury (he missed City with hammy issues) as a quality full back option. Rory Sheard at 7 is a standout for city every week as is Stu Dyer.

I'm yet to see Leeton in action - thats 3 weeks away for us- so may have to reserve judgement there. But looking at results so far they're going to be a massive challenge to any side!

Lots to look forward to this week !

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Finals can do funny things - I'm pretty sure Leeton would have been short price to win the last two preliminary finals but never got there and the last two grand finals (although won by the favourite) have been very close and could have gone either way. Having said that the results so far suggest a race in two.

I reckon the Phantoms backline would have to be a fair chance of SIRU selection - the games I've seen their 12 and 14 have really shone. It looks also like their 10 is benefiting from the quality outside and is putting his hand up.

Aggies loosies and Tah's tight forwards are also look pretty good.

I don't reckon they were short favourites - they were up against 2 Teams (waratahs- 2015 & City -2016) who were reaching their peak at the right time
Leeton only lost to Waratahs in nearly the final play of the day and they had about 6 out injured last year against City at Tumut
They are the real deal this year and their 2nd Grade are also winning
I agree with Sicnarf - It's either Leeton, Waratahs or City to win the Comp this year - Albury, Griffith, Tumut and Aggies just haven't got the depth to match those 3 clubs this year

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Im not one for writing off any teams in this comp, not yet anyway.

4 of the last 5 Grand Finals have either been very close or fought between an outside and a favourite or both. It's only the 2013 GF where the start to finish favourite has won in comfort over the next best.

I think it's a great indicator of how even this comp can be.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Five Preview:
A tough week to preview this week as there is a deadest smorgasbord of rugby on show this weekend and some solid matchups across the park. Don’t let the ladder fool you, there’s plenty to play for at this early stage of the season and this week should start to show which teams mean business in 2017.

Griffith (7) v Leeton (1) – Friday Night under lights 7:30pm kick off

The Blacks head back to the Exies to take on the rampaging Phantoms on Friday evening and should be back at full strength at home. This match is aways a great local derby and a great opportunity for Friday night footy!

Leeton are really showcasing their attacking flair at this stage of the season, but may not find the space they are familiar with against the Blacks. Griffith have shown that they can attack in a similar vein as the Phantoms which should be a highlight for this game.

From what I have seen of both teams, there will be some great running rugby on display at the Exies tonight, however I wonder if this could cause some issues with the cooler conditions and potentially a slippery pill?

CSU (8) v Waratahs (2)
Another tough day out for the Reddies in this one. They played well in patches against the Phantoms last week and actually showed some real accuracy in certain areas of their game, however when their line was bent or broken, they struggled to turn and cover.

Waratahs are running pretty well at this stage of the season from all reports, however struggled to penetrate a passionate Ag College defence early in the game last week. Aggies eventually tired and Waratahs were able to score points later in the game which is a credit to their effort for the full 80mins.

Wagga City (3) v Ag College (6) – Match of the Round
A close pick for MotR this week against the Steamers/Bulls encounter but for me this game will highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both these teams reasonably well.

City have been burning down the house in the scrummaging department since they had a club session with Andrew Blades (great initiative by the club – why aren’t the ARU/Brumbies organising similar??? Don’t get me started) and while they are still finding their feet to a degree, this is a definite highlight for them.

Aggies are being defined by the power and the passion at the moment, which makes for some great nights on the tiles I’m sure, but they can’t keep on running themselves ragged for the season and need to start playing a structure that they can support. From what I’ve heard, their kicking game is letting them down a little but their defence is A plus, maybe they can play a smarter kicking game and apply pressure in the red zone?

I’d expect to see City try and control this game, playing to centre field and back into their forward pack, while Aggies will want to play side to side using their mobile forward pack. Wagga City will have a strong pack that could turn the set piece in their favour – will mobility be their issue?

Albury (4) v Tumut (5)
Just pipped for MotR this week, but only by a hair. This match will also be a really good indicator about whether these teams are contenders or pretenders for the competition in 2017. From all reports the Tumut Bulls are shaping well at this stage but may need to start running hills if they’re serious this year.

The Steamers backline is humming along pleasantly at the moment and they are being well supported by a mobile forward pack. My scouts tell me though that they’ll have some work to do to secure possession against the Bulls pack and as we all know – backs can’t do much with rubbish ball.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Leeton to keep on rolling.
Albury in a tight one.
City also in a tight one.
Tahs by a largish margin.

Should be a good round of rugby this weekend !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Leeton 24 bt Griffith 13

Leeton headed out to a 17-8 half time lead, Griffith scored first after the break and the game was in the balance for the next 20 to 30mins with only 4 points separating these teams.

Play went end to end and side to side for the second half as both teams attacked and defended well. Another try each in the second half finished out the game.

Leeton's positive start probably set the tone for the rest of the game as both teams were reasonably well matched. Plenty of strong Defence on show from both teams for the full 80mins also which was a highlight.

Both teams had ample opportunity to post more points, however weren't able to crack the line for a number of reasons. A great game of footy, high tempo and played in the right spirit.

On another note, the Exies is a sensational venue for night time footy. The lights are second to none in this area of the world. Well done to the Blacks executive for their decision to move back to the Exies, a smart decision.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
On another note, the Exies is a sensational venue for night time footy. The lights are second to none in this area of the world. Well done to the Blacks executive for their decision to move back to the Exies, a smart decision.

Do you see a night Grand Final in Griffith on the horizon?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Do you see a night Grand Final in Griffith on the horizon?

Watch that space. It would be a great day, 2 grounds, at least 4 change rooms, clubhouse with bistro at the ground, VIP seating, gate, full colour video screen scoreboard and foxtel standard lighting.

Why not?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 5 Scores
Leeton 27 d Griffith 13,
City 43 d Wagga Ag 21,
Albury 36 d Tumut 29,
Waratahs 64 d CSU 15

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't know about a night GF in Griffith this year but news today from SIRU is the winner of the major semi-final will host the grand final, the minor premier will host the major semi.

Going on the table at present it is a major semi in Leeton against Tah's with the winner to host the Grand Final...

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You are correct to a certain extent

Based on the Current Competition Ladder and the info received from SIRU Today Leeton would host the major semi in Week 2 against the Winner of the Qualifying Final between Waratahs & City - in other words the team that comes 3rd in the Competition (let's say City at this stage) still has the opportunity to host the Grand Final if it wins its first 2 matches of the Finals series.
This decision definitely livens up the Finals matches
It will be interesting to the overall reaction to the change in Hosting rights for the Grand Finals

Will Thomas

Frank Row (1)
Can understand the thought process about giving other towns an opportunity to host a grand final however it seems odd that there were plans to create a third field (currently levelled) at Connolly with the idea of creating a complex with the ability to host bigger games. Have SIRU scrapped this plan? Regarding travel if the game was to be held in Leeton for example it's no longer in a central location for all towns within SIRU in comparison to Wagga and I can't imagine the same crowd numbers. Also note if Ag College or Rivcoll were to host it defaults to Connolly anyway. Do Group 9 or the RFL do this or play at the best available facilities?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Do Group 9 or the RFL do this or play at the best available facilities?

I believe the RFL and Farrer league play at Narrandera and Robbo.
Group 9 play at Equex.

I think Group 9 did go through period where they were playing at other venues but am not 100% on that.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Do Group 9 or the RFL do this or play at the best available facilities?

I don't think Connolly are the best facilities for players or spectators - the addition of the field will only make it worse with no plans for extra change rooms or spectator bathrooms. Both Griffith and Leeton leave it for dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.