• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round Six Preview:
Geez it’s tough to pick a Match of the Round this week, from what I’ve seen of the competition there is genuine potential for movement through the 2nd to 7th ladder positions as clubs jostle for points over the coming weeks. Okay, so maybe 2nd to 7th is an exaggeration, but you get the picture. I expect to see some improvement from Aggies, Griffith and Albury as depth becomes important over the coming rounds and from what I’ve seen of these clubs, they are not far away from clicking with each other and will cause some damage when they do.

Waratahs (2) v Griffith (7) – At Rugby One, Kapooka, Home of the RARC
Griffith will be keen to overcome the “Tough as Teak” Waratahs (never thought you’d see those words together did you?) this week as they take on the current Premiers at the Home of the Soldier – Rugby One at Kapooka. The RARC have sadly fallen by the way-side in recent years but have a strong and proud history as a tough but fair club in the Riverina, always great hosts and very happy to have a few cold ones with all comers post-match to either commiserate your loss or celebrate their victory. I have fond memories of playing against the RARC, you always knew you’d played a fair game of rugby after playing these guys and that you were always going to have a good time after the game. $2 stubbies anyone?

The Blacks held the Phantoms to a 4 point lead last week for 25-30mins of the game and should be really motivated by that. If they clean up a few areas of their game, they will be a force to be reckoned with. While they might have to take the long road later in the season, they’ve already knocked over their two biggest road trips of the year (Albury and Tumut) so only have to travel to Wagga and Leeton over the remaining rounds of the competition. They’ve got some rampaging ball runners in Augustin De Notta (early) and Enoch Tia (final 20mins) who can really cause some headaches when they get a run up and once they get some momentum, they’re hard to stop.

Waratahs appear to be heading in the right direction and have got some handy cards to play in different areas of the field. Waratahs have definitely come back to the pack in terms of calibre of player from 2016, however they still have plenty of firepower in key positions. Will Xavier Chigwidden start to come into the frame more over the coming weeks? Tom Hallam? My scouts tell me that Harry Hosegood and Austin Wallace are two key players in their forward pack also.

CSU (8) v Ag College (6)
The traditional campus grudge match – Chalks v Aggies is usually one for the ages and has been known to serve up a few upsets over the years as blokes grow extra legs and nerves get to others. Will this be the case in 2017? Key questions such as who is Trevor Fosdyke may be answered this weekend.

The track should be fast and will allow both sides to play an expansive game of footy if they are able to. CSU don’t have a strong front row and are hurting since guys like Dean Smart got injured recently but they do have a mobile forward pack and an accurate kicking game with Mitch Fealy really hitting some form here. Aggies have probably got the edge in the backline and the backrow but I reckon a strong kicking 5/8 can negate these in certain situations and this is an area that Aggies have not been performing well in in recent weeks.

As most grudge matches go though, they generally don’t live up to the hype but I’m sure the testosterone levels will be elevated for both teams here and this match is always a great day out.

EXTRA EXTRA
In preparation for late Friday web surfing, <insert nameless faceless bagging of CSU here> Honestly, if you can’t be constructive, stop gobbing off and find somewhere else to showcase your keyboard warrior prowess. We’re all sick of it, it’s done to death, leave it alone. You know who I’m looking at.

Leeton (1) v Albury (4) – Match of the Round
Leeton are certainly setting the SIRU Competition on fire at this stage of the season aren’t they! A strong forward pack (strengthened by the return of Simon Vunilagi this week) and some really exciting backs are creating a world of hurt with creative passing bamboozling would-be tacklers left, right and centre!

The Phantoms are relishing in their ability to play expansive, ad hoc rugby and teams are struggling to come to terms with how to respond defensively to this style of play. If the Phantoms get a chance to offload, they can really tear teams apart with multiple runners in gaps and from depth able to slice defensive structures apart with surgical precision. Noa Rabici has been a stellar performer for the Phantoms in this area and he is well supported by junior Namadu, Nathan Batina and Freddy Tupou in the loose.

I expect the Steamers to apply a cunning game plan here and look for the likes of Richard Manion to step up at key times in this game, some sniping kicks to turn them around, maybe a few quick taps at penalty time, even some backrow moves? Griffith managed to nail their first up tackles last week and this should be a key focus area for any team playing Leeton. From what I have seen of the teams this season, scrummaging is an area that all teams have some room to improve on – some more than others but I think this is an area of the game that has a way to go for some teams.

A big road trip for the Steamers out to Leeton #1 Oval (which is potentially where the GF could be played) will be a tough day out for the Steamers but one that they’ll just have to suck it up.

Tumut (5) v Wagga City (3)
No guarantees for either team in this one. City are building on some solid foundations with a competitive scrum early in the season, however Tumut have the ability to present a real challenge here as it’s an area of their game that they really enjoy. Both teams play traditionally lean towards the 10-man style of rugby but this has changed a bit in recent years. With some wet weather tipped for the hills this weekend, will we be “back to the future”?

I keep getting mail that the Bulls have some tough hombres in their team and that they are playing a very competitive brand of footy and have really pushed some of the higher ranked teams on the ladder who are not looking forward to playing the Bulls in Round 2. Hopefully a damp Saturday at Jarrah Park will allow for a style of play that highlights both team’s strengths in this one.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Although the winners on Saturday look pretty straightforward I reckon the forecast wet weather may keep the scores a little bit closer than expected- Waratahs, Aggies, City & Leeton look the winners but CSU v Aggies and Tumut v City might see a surprise or two

MonkeyWrangler

Frank Row (1)
Wagga City have been impressive of late, improving every game and a team to watch in the second round of fixtures when i think they will really hit their straps. Waratahs' depth is being stretched at the moment with injuries and absentees so the Griffith game will be a test this weekend. Looking forward to a cracking game.

Leeton have been pretty good, some of the offloads are outta this league, but i think they can be undone with strong structured tactics and i expect them to be tested by the more structure driven teams - next weekend for a start. Absolutely lethal with the ball in hand.

This weekend Tahs, Aggies, City and Leeton.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 - Round 6 scores -
Waratahs 41 d Griffith 15,
Leeton 107 d Albury 0,
Tumut 29 d City 19,
Wagga Ag 29 d CSU 26

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Gee Monkey wrangler I wonder if City had too much focus on next Saturday's match against Leeton and FORGOT about Tumut Today

A Great win for the Bulls in both 1st & 2nd Grades today and City were previously undefeated in 2nd Grade

MonkeyWrangler

Frank Row (1)
Don't mind being corrected when it involves City. Good to see Tumut bringing back some of last years form. Game with Ag College this weekend looks to be a cracker. Has anyone heard anything from Albury since Saturday? Waratahs first half was one of their best this season but the second half didn't match up. Shout out to the numerous blokes from Griffith who played near on, if not, two full games on the weekend.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Albury did much of the same with only 22 making the trip to Leeton - very tired boys by the end of 1st grade but they kept trying.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Heard there are some quality players floating around in Leetons ranks this year. Maybe some Fiji u20's and Rebels u20's are making the trip up each weekend?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What has happened to Albury - How the mighty have fallen - No depth in the Club and players not prepared to travel to Away Games

the team coming 4th in the Comp up until last week beaten 107-0 - Embarrassing !!!

I think the club is playing the long game, with a lot of energy going into the Juniors programme.

As for travel, its well documented that the Wagga teams are only travelling away for 4 games in the year. With the longest journey at 2 hours.

Whereas the out of town teams, are travelling for 7 games with the longest trips being over 3 hours one way. That does take a big toll on any club, and when results are fair to middling it makes it a very long day at the office. It's neither a whinge nor an excuse, just a reflection of the reality of the situation.

I think Marika will have no trouble getting Leeton to travel distances because they are rolling along beautifully, and it's a lot easier to sit in a bus for 3 or 4 hours after a win. Albury was the same a couple of years, with spots on the buses hard to come by.

I haven't even raised the dedication which Deni and Hay bring to their weekends!!!

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Obviously if we are looking to the long term future of the game we look to our juniors. SIRU Juniors moved to an even age group so we would have an U16s age group. There are only 2 teams nominated. Griffith and Temora. The home of SIRU. 60000 pop Wagga Wagga can't get 15 kids interested enough to play a game of rugby. Can anyone explain or comment. I'm sorry to sound negative and coming from Griffith I can hear the groans now from other clubs but how can temporarily importing players from Rebels or another Fiji franchise into a club to flog another team 107 - 0 help either Siru or either team involved.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Obviously if we are looking to the long term future of the game we look to our juniors. SIRU Juniors moved to an even age group so we would have an U16s age group. There are only 2 teams nominated. Griffith and Temora. The home of SIRU. 60000 pop Wagga Wagga can't get 15 kids interested enough to play a game of rugby. Can anyone explain or comment. I'm sorry to sound negative and coming from Griffith I can hear the groans now from other clubs but how can temporarily importing players from Rebels or another Fiji franchise into a club to flog another team 107 - 0 help either Siru or either team involved.

Without condoning Wagga's lack of a 16's , its also got be said that 16's is the hardest age group to get to play sport full stop. A quick look at Group 9 and local Australian Rules comps will tell you that straight away. My personal opinion was that moving to evens on a sunday was not beneficial at all for local rugby. I understand and appreciate why the decision was made but don't think it was made for the right reason. That's my opinion anyway.

I also understand the sentiments about importing bulk amounts of out of town players. My concern is what happens when they go ? Premiership to one grade club in a year ? Yes I applaud the short term success they are having (except this week ;)) - its nice for some apart usual suspects to be at the top- but worry for long term rugby development. 107 to blip results are not a good thing.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I really don’t think the Rebels and the Fijian Rugby Union are sending the best of their Under 20’s players to Leeton every weekend to play - my comment was tongue in cheek ;)

All clubs are now recruiting players to be competitive and the standard of the competition has improved as a result. You only need to look at the last few years - when Griffith won, they had Dan Rawaka, and Marika in their backline along with others like Maika Rovouvou.

As for this year, how many players have been recruited (as in flown into Australia) by Leeton and how many are guys who were in town working and wanted to stay so they could play under Marika? How many are into their 3rd, 4th or 5th season with the club? You would have to ask the club that but it is not as though they have come from nowhere, they have played in the past two Preliminary Finals.

I also agree junior development is vital and very much should be part of clubs long term plans, maybe Tah’s and City should take over the Wagga Juniors so there are clear pathways from Under 7’s to senior rugby. Also in relation to Under 16’s this is the first year the age group has run and I think in a year or two we will see improvement.

Anyway winners this week:
Leeton
Waratahs
Aggies
Griffith

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Just looking at the Siru site it appears that 80% of the Leeton team could be Fijian. That's fine by me. Fijian people are wonderful people. But if it is true that players are being sent from the Rebels and the Fijian Rugby Union every weekend to play for Leeton surely there should be some questions asked about something like this. Is it against the culture of the competition. Good luck if everybody is OK with the situation but it just doesn't seem right or fair even for the rugby playing actual residents of Leeton.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
"Against the Culture of the Competition" what By Law does that come under mate
Albury stacked their Team with outsiders a few years ago (they weren't Fijians- just Sth africans, Pommies, Kiwis and plenty of players from all over Australia- they probably had 1 local in their Team )

Most of the fijians playing with the Phantoms have a link to the Griffith Blacks from a few years ago but they weren't welcomed by that Club and the president at the Time

MIA Jealousy - youv'e got to love it

Go the Phantoms

Albury... Boyle, Le Cornu, Irwin, Manion, Allan. 5 locals straight up.

Leeton are playing the short reward game recruitment wise and all the best to them. If you've got the opportunity go for it.
Sterling Ross will also be suiting up for the Phantoms this weekend if my sources are correct.

However i doubt there is any MIA Jealousy. 1 premiership from the last 15 years out of the MIA is hardly anything to be jealous of...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU Round 7 Preview:
The ladder looks a bit odd at this stage of the season based on form I reckon. I don’t think any punter would have tipped Griffith to be winless at this stage of the season and for them to be bottom table with CSU in 7th. Ladder position isn’t overly important at this stage of the season, there is still opportunity for clubs to move up or down but I see Points Differential as being a reasonable indicator of where clubs could finish up on the ladder later in the season.

Based on Competition Points, the ladder looks like this:
Leeton (30),
Waratahs (27),
City (20),
Tumut (17),
Albury (16),
Ag College (15),
CSU (6),
Griffith (4)

Based on Points Differential, the ladder looks like this:
Leeton (269),
Waratahs (160),
City (45),
Tumut (1),
Ag College (-47),
Griffith (-112),
Albury (-116),
CSU (-200)

No major changes to the top four based on PD, however some reasonable movement in that bottom tier and remember there is only 5 competition points separating 3rd and 6th on the ladder which will make for some interesting match ups later in the season.

http://www.southerninlandru.com/seniors-ladders.html

Griffith (8) v CSU (7)
Two winless teams face off here and Griffith will probably hold a bit more confidence hosting on their home ground. Reddies played some good footy last weekend against Ag College and had options there to win the game but just weren’t able to close out at key times. Strong leadership from Mitch Fealy is really guiding the CSU Team, his attitude remains positive and upbeat all game and he deserves wraps for his ability to keep encouraging his charges for the full 80mins.

Griffith have been oh so close on a number of occasions this season but they seem to be struggling to click consistently. There are plenty of positives there for them though and I’m sure with some perseverance, they’ll return to the winners circle in due course. Highlights for this match will be the physical confrontation between Andy Bedford and Teei Piawi through the centres – both strong defenders. I also think that the back three for both teams can potentially open things up a bit in this game.

Albury (5) v Waratahs (2)
Two proud old clubs having a crack at each other again this week, there is a strong history of classic matches between these two clubs and I am confident that the Steamers will rise to the occasion in this one. The Steamers are being well served by Steamers junior James Devlin at fullback, his match up with Dan Selmes will be a “back to the future” moment for these two who have played a few junior’s grand finals against each other through the years.

Despite some injury concerns, Waratahs were not happy to let in some soft points from the Blacks at Kapooka last weekend and this is something that Coach Macleod will be keen to reverse against a Steamers team who will keep on coming late in the game. Look out for the match up between Richard Manion and Xavier Chigwidden at #10 – a showdown between the old bull and the young pup here.

City (3) v Leeton (1) – Match of the Round
An easy tip for MOTR this week and one that will pit Stuart Dyer against his former club, although I’m not sure that he’ll know many of the boys? What happened to the City juggernaut against the Bulls last weekend? Whatever it was, they’ll need to turn up the heat for the Phantoms!

Blind Freddy will tell you that the Phantoms are playing some livewire footy which is really exciting to watch. I’ve only heard of one team getting the mix right when it comes to containing these guys and that was Griffith – they did the complete opposite of the other teams I’ve seen, they made their tackles stick and they took their chances when they got them. Some clubs look to be taking all the wrong options - aimless kicking, poor kick chase, loose passes, isolated ball runners and missing first up tackles is how some teams are trying to lose to the Phantoms and they’re doing a great job of it.

Wagga City have the ability to set a strong base for attack through their scrum but this could also prove to be their Achilles heel against the Phantoms who may look to exploit out wide in this instance against a slower moving forward pack. The Phantoms are really catching teams napping out wide but also have the ability to snipe around the rucks making half-breaks through Freddy Tupou being supported by Simon Vunilagi and Co. who can then really break the defensive line wide open. For me, Wagga City will need to focus on their defensive structure before worrying about how to attack against the Phantoms who can prove to be a handful across the park.

Leeton were well deserved winners last weekend, but how does this match prepare the Phantoms for a tough match against the Boiled Lollies here? Wagga City may have got the fright they needed at the hands of the Bulls last week which may shock them into action and provide more starch than the Steamers did – how will Leeton respond to this? How will the Phantoms fair when they are away from Leeton No 1 Oval?

Key matchups here are Keifer Power vs Siti Watkins, Monson Tuvale vs Simon Vunilagi and Rory Sheard vs Ben Latumainakoro

Ag College (6) v Tumut (4)
Aggies were stunned by a determined Reddies outfit last weekend and will want to hit the ground running against the Bulls this weekend or they could pay a hefty price. My scouts keep telling me that Tumut are a tough team and that they just need to get some more running under their belt to be truly competitive in this competition in 2017. I reckon this match could show us a bit about whether these scouts are dreaming or not. Aggies are probably unhappy about their current ladder position but they need to keep working hard and grinding away at games to earn the right to win games.

The Bulls have been plugging along pretty reasonably this season, just minding their own business and notching up some wins when it suits them. For a team that was talking about struggle street without Tino, they’re not doing too badly for themselves at this stage of the competition but I’m sure their coaching team would tell you they know they need to keep working and that they’re not going to stay under the radar for much longer.

Watch the fireworks when Dan Dowson and Ben Brookes lock horns.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sam that was a cracking write up for this weekends round, good job.
We are really looking forward to the game against City, particularly Stu'y, coming for you big fella. Great bloke, great competitor.
Any news as to when Siru squad is named?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So all those guys you quoted are locals - played their Juniors in Albury and the Seniors
I think u need to check your facts big Time esp. Manion - he is from Boorowa which last time I looked wasn't a suburb of Albury / Wodonga
The same Sterling Ross who Aggies went down on their knees last year to let him play 1 or 2 Games - It was one of Aggies lowest acts in their History
The Ag College coach who allowed that to happen should be ashamed of himself

Sounds a little bitter. No-one begrudges clubs who bring in players to the comp. Especially ones who add to the colour and level of competition in SIRU. Most of the Steamers recruits over the years have added real value to the club, wether on the field or off. The bulk of them stay beyond their initial tender and create lives for themselves either in Albury or further afield. If we want to be pedantic, in the 2015 Steamers grand final 23 there was:

9 locals
3 Aussies that moved here for work/family
4 Overseas guys that moved here for work/family
1 Army guy
3 Overseas recruits from earlier years that stayed beyond their tender because they love Albury so much
3 Overseas recruits from that year - 1 of whom is still with the club.

The bottom line is Albury is not in a position to have 4 rugby clubs across 3 grades. The town competes with AFL at an unprecedented level (I think Albury supports around 10 AFL clubs in different comps with very deep numbers). So the 3 options are to either suck it up and play with what walks in the door, recruit some top-up players or wait for the juniors to expand and come through the seniors. Whatever works and whatever keeps good rugby played in the region I say.

On to more important stuff. I agree, that YourMateSam's previews are next level this year - I see a career in the offing....

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
So all those guys you quoted are locals - played their Juniors in Albury and the Seniors
I think u need to check your facts big Time esp. Manion - he is from Boorowa which last time I looked wasn't a suburb of Albury / Wodonga
The same Sterling Ross who Aggies went down on their knees last year to let him play 1 or 2 Games - It was one of Aggies lowest acts in their History
The Ag College coach who allowed that to happen should be ashamed of himself

If you can prove Albury imported Manion I'll eat my hat... he works locally. Do you want blokes to not play rugby simply because they aren't local...

Your comments on Sterling Ross are nothing short of a cheap shot. Unless, of course you were involved in the conversations... or are bitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.