• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Whatever the argument about Albury's reign of success the fact remains that the players playing for Albury lived in that community for the year. Are Leeton's imports FIFO. Surely that's not cricket or in this case rugby.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Whatever the argument about Albury's reign of success the fact remains that the players playing for Albury lived in that community for the year. Are Leeton's imports FIFO. Surely that's not cricket or in this case rugby.

As I posted earlier my comments we very much in jest.... Not sure where these rumours started....

For someone to be eligible for the Rebels U20's they would have to be playing in a VRU competition - just so we are clear SIRU is a Brumbies competition so nobody playing for Leeton (or any other SIRU club) could be picked for the Rebels...

I think any Fijian U20's players would be over in Georgia for the U20's World Cup.

Was having a laugh with some of the Leeton guys about these comments today and hope to be able to easy your fears by confirming that there are two players with a 2680 postcode but the rest of the team reside in 2705.

No need to be jealous, every dog has their day and Leeton are having a good season after probably 15 years of being the competitions whipping boys... Griffith will one day go back to being the dominant MIA club and all will be good in the world.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The rumours started with you Bandar on Thursday at 10:05 pm. "They did play a combination of Fiji and Rebels U20s". Quote unquote mate.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Haha, as repeatedly stated my comment was in jest - a problem with social media is people taking everything as gospel...

Just look two posts before that one paul, maybe namtrak is the one responsible???

"Heard there are some quality players floating around in Leetons ranks this year. Maybe some Fiji u20's and Rebels u20's are making the trip up each weekend?"

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I see your point Bandar. I do have an issue with the importation of players into sporting clubs in rural areas. I live in Griffith and follow the Blacks. I have no idea of what is happening in Leeton. However when rural town sporting clubs replace local players with imported (usually paid) players the money will quickly run out and the imports move on. You are then left with a shell of a club. Great to watch CSU yesterday. They are obviously all or nearly all students and looked like they were mates playing for each other and having fun.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Just look two posts before that one paul, maybe namtrak is the one responsible???

"Heard there are some quality players floating around in Leetons ranks this year. Maybe some Fiji u20's and Rebels u20's are making the trip up each weekend?"

I guess the Fijian grapevine is not as reliable as it once was. Either way the Steamers appreciated the level of speed and skills in some of their Leeton opponents, regardless of where they came from.

More importantly, Round 7 proved to be a very good round for the balance of the comp. Every game threw up something, which I suspect the harbingers of doom didn't predict.

CSU first win since 2015.
Leeton kept in check by City. (Would like to get more info the YC punishment by Marika?)
Tumut with an away win over Aggies
Steamers bouncing back to a respectable loss.

All in all, makes for a promising second half of the SIRU season - the Grand Final hasn't been won just yet.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey guys,

Hope everything is travelling well in Southern Inland world.

A couple of questions;

Do you guys know the venue for the Brumbies Provincial Champs this year - I know Monaro is hosting but interested to know where.

Considering his connection with Southern Inland Rugby - does anyone have any insight in regards to Angus Le Lievre's mid year switch from Queanbeyan to Royals - didn't look like Queanbeyan took the news well on the weekend when they played Royals and Angus was running around in 2nd Grade for Royals.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The 2017 SIRU Rep. squad is;
Jack McIntosh, Tom Macleay, Mike Van Diggelen, (Wagga Ag.), Austin Wallace, Harry Hosegood, Tom Hallam, Xavier Chigwidden (WaggaWaratahs), Roussoux Visser, James Devlin (Albury), Nathan Seymour, Stu Dyer (Wagga City) Chris Latu , Andrew Madden (Griffith), Moses Waqa, Si Ratugradra, Pene Kafoa, Simon Vunilagi, Noa Rabici, Siti Watkins, Joe Ratu, Nathan Batina (Leeton ), Angus Forster, Tom Mouat, Josef Glamuzina (Tumut),

SHADOW PLAYERS- Tom Boyle (Albury), Dan Dowson (Tumut), Cam Duffy (Wagga Ag)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Do you guys know the venue for the Brumbies Provincial Champs this year - I know Monaro is hosting but interested to know where.
I believe the game is being played at Uni-Norths Home Ground? SIRU are playing a combined FSC/Monaro Team - only one game. I believe the FSC/Monaro game was on the weekend - not sure of the result.

Considering his connection with Southern Inland Rugby - does anyone have any insight in regards to Angus Le Lievre's mid year switch from Queanbeyan to Royals - didn't look like Queanbeyan took the news well on the weekend when they played Royals and Angus was running around in 2nd Grade for Royals.

I believe Angus' employer is the physio that works with Royals, which would make sense. Royals have also had a strong connection to the Riverina in recent years.

Did the Queanbeayan locals pull out the chainsaw at the Tourist? :)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I believe the game is being played at Uni-Norths Home Ground? SIRU are playing a combined FSC/Monaro Team - only one game. I believe the FSC/Monaro game was on the weekend - not sure of the result.

I believe Angus' employer is the physio that works with Royals, which would make sense. Royals have also had a strong connection to the Riverina in recent years.

Did the Queanbeayan locals pull out the chainsaw at the Tourist? :)

Cheers mate - if it's in Canberra that would be great - very keen to see Southern Inland play.

I believe FSC won 31-7 V's Monaro yesterday.

Cheers for the feedback re: Angus - this could just be the reason - Queanbeyan were pretty close to getting the chainsaw out on him on the weekend haha

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The 2017 SIRU Rep. squad is;
Jack McIntosh, Tom Macleay, Mike Van Diggelen, (Wagga Ag.), Austin Wallace, Harry Hosegood, Tom Hallam, Xavier Chigwidden (WaggaWaratahs), Roussoux Visser, James Devlin (Albury), Nathan Seymour, Stu Dyer (Wagga City) Chris Latu , Andrew Madden (Griffith), Moses Waqa, Si Ratugradra, Pene Kafoa, Simon Vunilagi, Noa Rabici, Siti Watkins, Joe Ratu, Nathan Batina (Leeton ), Angus Forster, Tom Mouat, Josef Glamuzina (Tumut),

SHADOW PLAYERS- Tom Boyle (Albury), Dan Dowson (Tumut), Cam Duffy (Wagga Ag)

Just my 2 cents worth... Not sure where to put the players and I'm really not that familiar with names.

Starting halves combination would be Dyer/Chigwidden, Chris Latu starting at hooker, backrow should be pretty accurate.

No idea who to put where for the back line.

1 - Nathan Seymour/Angus Forster?
2 - Chris Latu
3 - Moji Waqa/Si Ratugradra?
4 - Joe Kafoa-Pene
5 - Harry Hosegood
6 - Roussow Visser/Tom Macleay
7 - Mike Van Diggelen
8 - Simon Vunilagi
9 - Stu Dyer
10 - Xavier Chigwidden
11 - James Devlin?
12 - Noa Rabici
13 - Siti Watkins
14 - Josef Glamuzina?
15 - Nathan Batina

MonkeyWrangler

Frank Row (1)
The Rep situation really is a mess and a real shame for the blokes having a go and wanting to play their rugby at the highest level they can in the area that they live. Whoever is responsible for having us pull out of NSW rugby all those years ago is clearly a mug. One representative game against the best of the rest of a poor provincial area is a joke. Hopefully some of the players that would like to take their rugby further and beyond where they live will get picked up with a contract, seeing as though they are clearly putting on a trial for the Canberra club scouts.

Congratulations to those bloke picked, looks like a potentially cracking side. There are a few good players missing but we don't know whether they have not nominated or simply not been picked. Jayden Stanton is a stand out omission???

If we were allowed to play in Country week(end) again would the side look a little different?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Whoever is responsible for having us pull out of NSW rugby all those years ago is clearly a mug.
You clearly have no awareness of the history behind the decision to leave NSW Rugby.

Congratulations to those bloke picked, looks like a potentially cracking side. There are a few good players missing but we don't know whether they have not nominated or simply not been picked. Jayden Stanton is a stand out omission???
The zone asks players to nominate for the team, it'd be interesting to see which players nominated vs what was actually picked up. There are always a range of reasons why players aren't available. I think you'll find that the general feeling amongst players is that they're happy to play the one game on the June Long Weekend, it's not as great a commitment and they can enjoy the rest of the weekend off.

Also, they do get the chance to play against NSW Country the following week which pits them against the best players in Regional NSW - that's not a bad carrot is it?

If we were allowed to play in Country week(end) again would the side look a little different?
I believe SIRU are welcome at Country Week, however were the players keen on a cool 822kms one-way from Wagga to Port Mac for two days of rugby in April?
Remember, SIRU players aren't eligible for selection in NSW Country Teams...

I can think of better things to do.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 8 Preview:
So, we’re into the second half of the season now and are seeing the reflected draw in effect. This round sees a strange turn of events where every team plays someone 2 spots lower than them on the ladder – is it time for tin foil hats?

Tough to tip a MOTR this week, Albury v CSU and Ag v Griffith will be important in determining the 5th placed team for the finals series while Tumut v Leeton and City v Tahs are important for the make-up of who slots into 3rd position coming into the finals. With that in mind and the outcomes for each game this round, I’m not selecting a MOTR – there’s just too much at play for one game to be more important than another.

Ag College (6) v Griffith (8)
Who would have tipped that the Blacks would be winless at this stage of the competition, someone in the MIA has killed a black cat for sure. In defence of the Blacks, they’ve been very close to bagging a W in a number of matches but just haven’t been able to close out games or hang on in defence. They can play well in patches but patches don’t win matches. See what I did there, that’s not cricket. Boom tish, I’ll see myself out.

Aggies are in a position now where they have to fight to maintain ladder position, they’re only 4 competition points clear of CSU and have 4 less bonus points than the Reddies – the lowest in the competition. Coach Mitchell must be scratching his head to figure out what’s happened to the season this year – how can he make the most out of players like Cam Duffy, Riley Brennan and Tom Macleay over the remaining rounds? Mobility is a great asset to have in a team, but it means nought without go-forward and from what I’ve seen of Aggies this season, this has been their Achilles heel. How do you generate forward momentum to allow the rangier players to show their wares?

Albury (5) v CSU (7)
This is an important game, no doubt. Both teams will be itching to get onto the park this weekend and take maximum points from their opposition. Albury made Waratahs accountable last weekend and made them work for every metre they gained and while Waratahs deserved the win, they didn’t have it all their own way.

The Steamers backrow have been working hard this season and are frustrating teams from week to week but will want to be on top of their game against Reddies who will be buoyed by their first win for the season (since 2015?). While Albury got the biscuits in round one, CSU are playing some confident footy at the moment and will come into this game with the taste of victory fresh in their minds.

Reddies will have to make do without the services of the resurgent Andy Bedford in the centres which could create some holes for the likes of James Devlin and Richard Manion to explore. Mitch Fealy will have his work cut out for himself trying to contain the slippery Manion at 5/8 but is more than capable in this area.

City (4) v Waratahs (2) – Indigenous Match
Grand Final rematch and another important game for both clubs this week. Waratahs will be coming into this match without the services of a number of regular first and second graders who will enjoy the serenity as Dave Armstrong ties the knot. Will that be an advantage for City or will the replacements step up to the plate?

Wagga City are making some solid ground with their scrum in recent weeks with this area of their game bearing some fruit for them in terms of set-piece, Waratahs had plenty of scrum practice last weekend but here’s hoping that both teams manage to hold onto the ball in some fresh conditions on Saturday.

Tumut (3) v Leeton (1)
A real test for the Bulls here and time for them to step up their game based on what the pundits are telling me. This will be their biggest game leading into the second half of the season. How much has their fitness improved? What impact will Dan Dowson have on them? Do they have the mustard to control Leeton? This is also a great opportunity for them as they take on the Phantoms on a chilly weekend up in the hills, conditions are perfect for the boys from Tumut to execute a boilover.

The Phantoms are still cruising aren’t they. Marika is working on some discipline issues with his own unique style but will this result in an improved performance for the Phantoms this week? While the Phantoms are setting the world on fire through their backs, I don’t know about their tight five options at this stage of the season – is this a chink in their armour?

Of all the games on show this weekend, this game should be the most physical of the lot – Tumut won’t back down in defence and the Phantoms are going to keep on attacking all day which should make for a cracking combination!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2017 Round 8 - Leeton 39 d Tumut 24, Waratahs 31 d City 5, Wagga Ag 47 d Griffith 22, CSU 52 d Albury 51 - Albury kicker hit the upright after full time

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I reckon only 3 Teams can win the Comp this Year - Leeton, Waratahs or City
anyone disagree ?

You posted this on the 8 May 2017. This week we are deep in crisis, lacking skills and haven't progressed forward . And we need the committee to do something.
Do you even read your own posts ?

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Oh well I suppose People are entitled to change their minds after they watch teams play in recent weeks and look at their results
At least I got Leeton & Waratahs Right !!
I will remove the Post because it obviously upset you - Apologies to you and the City faithful for calling it as i see it NOW - maybe things might turn around in another month or so - Good Luck

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Did anyone see the Blacks /Aggies game? Blacks seem to have improved significantly to lead 22-5 at 1/2 time. After that it was all Aggies. Did Blacks lack player no.s and have players backing up from their 2s or did Aggies really get their act together after 1/2 time?

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
Griffith played well and had good numbers for both grades, however there discipline let them down in the end. The Aggies seemed lost for the first 20 minutes with 5 fresh faces in the team, but once they clicked especially their backline lead by Cameron Duffy, the points flowed. Also in the absence of probably their four best forwards, Aggies dominated the Griffith pack all game which eventually caused the flood gates to open.
The Aggies have the firepower and skills, it is just a matter of them being mentally strong, as they probably lack some experience. But a win to Griffith seems close, I think teams should be wary of them as a few upsets could be on the cards if taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.