• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
This is the spot for all the latest and greatest for the #SIRU2018 season. Who's in and who's out? What are your thoughts for 2018? Post away folks.....

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Griffith have their AGM on October 14. The coaching position has already been advertised so something might be announced then.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hope it works out well for them
There are some quality players all around Griffith - especially some of the Juniors so I hope the person who gets the job bonds them together and the Blacks have a much better season next year
If they get the right person the sky's the limit

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I hope it works out well for them
There are some quality players all around Griffith - especially some of the Juniors so I hope the person who gets the job bonds them together and the Blacks have a much better season next year
If they get the right person the sky's the limit

If they get the right person they will win. The size and demographics of the town for one club mean they should be up there every year with Waratahs. Internal power struggles saw them lose their premiership winning coach and star players after one season and they have not been able to get back on track having gone through a new president every year since and more than a coach a year. I think we are going to be in for a more even competition, CSU, Albury and maybe Griffith to be stronger. Not sure if Leeton can keep all their stars, surely some of them will get a call from Canberra or Sydney clubs. Tahs will always be up there.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Demographics and size have got nothing to do with it Bandar. Wagga has 2 town teams with a population of 64000. Without the uni Wagga would have 2 teams. Griffith has a population of 26000. We don't have a tertiary institution like CSU and a lot of our potential players leave our town. Albury/Wodonga has a population of 100000. It has 1 team.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Well all I can say to Bandar & paul is that the Tumut Bulls are leaving all the other Clubs for dead in the Zone as far as Rugby Teams in concerned
For a town with a population of probably just over 6,000 they have 3 Grades plus a Womens' Team
Griffith & Wagga really aren't trying hard enough
Well Done the Bulls
Maybe Griffith & the Wagga Clubs need to find out from Tumut what their secret is

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Well all I can say to Bandar & paul is that the Tumut Bulls are leaving all the other Clubs for dead in the Zone as far as Rugby Teams in concerned
For a town with a population of probably just over 6,000 they have 3 Grades plus a Womens' Team
Griffith & Wagga really aren't trying hard enough
Well Done the Bulls
Maybe Griffith & the Wagga Clubs need to find out from Tumut what their secret is

Leeton???? SIRU 1st Grade Premiers SIRU Women's Premiers SIRU Club Champions RFL 1st Grade Premiers Their soccer team was also playing finals and they have 2 mungo clubs from a town the same size as Tumut... But Tumut are going well too ;)

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
My response to Bandar was probably unfair. The fact is that Wagga does provide 4 teams to Siru, which is half the competition. However Bandar's statement of Griffith winning the competition is only a matter of getting the right coach is way off the mark. When we did win the comp in 2014 the coach may have been local but a lot of the players didn't seem to be. Same with Leeton this year. For the sake of fairness to the rest of the comp teams shouldn't there be an import policy in place. A lot of Griffith's problems since 2014 stem not from the coach moving to Leeton but from the imports leaving for all parts domestically and internationally. Would Leeton recover if this year's imports for some reason or other decide to move on?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
A lot of Griffith's problems since 2014 stem not from the coach moving to Leeton but from the imports leaving for all parts domestically and internationally. Would Leeton recover if this year's imports for some reason or other decide to move on?

Unfortunately Paul, I think the days of whoever is in town plays are well and truly over. With the exception of Aggies and possibly CSU (who both should get a stack of new players each year, but also lose plenty) every club is bringing in a couple of players. I don't think there is a problem with doing it as long as local players are leaving the game because of a lack of opportunity for match time, it makes our competition stronger. My point was not about the couple of imports, if they leave they can be replaced... But if you have the right committee and coaching structures, towns like Griffith (and Leeton) with good populations of immigrants from places where rugby is king (like Samoa & Fiji) should be strong if you can get the community onside and discourage people from playing league for some cash. Then the couple of imports can change a club from being finalists to potential premiers.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Good points made there Bandar. It will be interesting to see the quantity and quality of Leeton's squad next sason.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Word is that lots of Clubs aren't happy with Direction that Central West is taking for next year
The likes of Coota, Wyalong & Temora are going to face massive increases in Travel if the new Format takes place
I can't see any room for them if they wanted to return to SIRU ?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Word is that lots of Clubs aren't happy with Direction that Central West is taking for next year
The likes of Coota, Wyalong & Temora are going to face massive increases in Travel if the new Format takes place
I can't see any room for them if they wanted to return to SIRU ?

There might be an option for a 1 team comp but would also be a fair bit of travel, Deni, Hay, Coota, Temora & West Wyalong - maybe Army or Junee??? Other than that they would have to come up with both 1st & 2nd grade and we don't really want a bye in the comp, so would only want 2 of the 3. In fact another 2 rounds wound probably be a good thing as we finished very early this year - especially those not making finals, and a top 5 is OK with 10 teams.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Craig Morris is club coach of Griffith Blacks for next year. Last year Craig was co coach of Griffith Black and Whites who were premiers of Group 20.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Hopefully that is a positive Appointment for the Blacks
Do u know him Paul and has he got any rugby Union background ?
If he had success with the Leaguies this year then things could turn around pretty quickly for the Blacks next Year

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
A mungo in his playing days Francis. Has high level mungo coaching qualifications. Helped change the culture and consequently success of local mungo club. Has been involved in coaching junior rugby union. His son plays prop for senior blacks. A good bloke who will be well liked by others in SIRU. Can he change things in the Blacks camp? He would be the most likely person in our community to do that. Many have tried before though Francis.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If the mail in the DA is correct and the Phantoms have the majority of their current roster returning in 2018 it definitely sets the bar at a significant height for the rest of the competition to aim for...

It'll be interesting to see how the competition squares up in 2018 with this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.