• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I am just going to squash this now.

It was purely out of respect that the players weren't to be contacted as most were going to attend the funeral yesterday, that was it. I would be more than happy to speak with the journalist to help build hype around tomorrows big game.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

not the first time something wildly inaccurate has been reported in the DA. Good response here i reckon.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Waratahs are never wrong just mis qouted all the time ??

So it was a 1 day Media Ban but the coach gave an interview in the article anyways- Go Figure !!

Waratahs to win by 25+ tomorrow and a toss of the coin between the Phantoms & the Bulls - maybe the Bulls by 2 points

Aggies probably need a break after 2 busy Weeks both on and off the Field = Waratahs to get their measure big tiime in the 2nd half

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting results at Conolly yesterday with Tumut bowing out of the Competition due to being unable to close out the match against the Phantoms and a couple of questionable Refereeing decisions going against them in the second half
Waratahs were never in doubt against Aggies who battled away but just couldn't match the undefeated Minor Premiers
Leeton were written off after Aggies trounced them in the last Round of the Competition and in the Qualifying Final last Saturday but are desperate to defend their Premiership on Grand Final Day - Aggies looked a little off the pace yesterday and it should be another close encounter at Tumut on Saturday

Not sure about questionable refereeing decisions Reasoning, any in particular you would like to share? I would have the penalty count about 10-3 in Tumut's favor in the 2nd half and would think they were very lucky not to lose someone to the bin in the first with a deliberate knock on penalised that otherwise would have been a Leeton try. Not really sure what the first yellow to Leeton was for either???

I think refereeing decisions are certainly in the eye of the beholder...

I agree it should be another cracking game next week, all the pressure is on Aggies and Leeton playing in their 4th straight prelim have the experience.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does anyone know the Times for Saturday's Prelim Finals at Tumut ?

Big Trips for the Griffith Women's Team and the Deni Drovers this Weekend - that should favour Waratahs qualifying for all Grand Finals on Saturday Week in their 60th Anniversary - they will be Happy with that

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
3rd Grade 1130hrs Waratahs v Deni
2nd Grade 1240hrs City v Tumut
Womens 1420hrs Griffith v Waratahs
1st Grade 1510hrs Ag v Leeton

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's do or die for both Leeton & Ag College this Saturday at Tumut
Despite tipping Albury to make it to the big Dance on Saturday Week I reckon the defending Premiers (Leeton) will provide us with a 2017 Grand Final Replay on Aug 18
Leeton were written off during the season after big losses to Albury, Waratahs & Ag College but have managed to claw their way back into the contest with a gutsy win over Tumut last Saturday when the defence of their Premiership was on very shaky Grounds (trailing 20-10)
Wagga Ag will now face Leeton for the 3rd Time in 4 weeks and on top of that with playing Waratahs last Weekend they will have played the 2 most physical teams in the Competition in the last month.
Some of their players maybe will be feeling the effects of those physical encounters and if Leeton get the jump on Ag College like Waratahs did last Saturday I can't see Aggies reeling the Phantoms in.
Leeton to win by 10 points and do it by having too much power and strength for their younger opposition.

Tumut to beat City in the Reserve Grade, Waratahs Women to beat Griffith and Waratahs to knock off Deniliquin in the 3rd Grade Preliminary Final

I hope it is a great day of Rugby for the Players & Supporters

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Take a bow Will Mitchell, you embody all the good things about rugby.
You have taken a group of boys and turned them into men.
You've taught them what it takes to win, you've laughed with them in the good things in life and cried with them in the bad.
You've been a great mentor to these young men and instilled in them what it takes to be good men.
The team ground out a gutsy win against Leeton today which showed their character which has been built through Will's guidance.
Lets hope the belief Ag College has in itself can drive it forward to another win in next weeks grand final.
An Ag College win would be a fitting reward for all those involved in the club this year - EGO YAH
Grand Finals are funny things, anything can happen on the day.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Two weeks to go to kick off of the 2018 comp, lots of new and old faces, some gone, some come.
Who will be the big movers in 2018, Albury could be a dark horse, Tumut will be strong in the forwards still, backs?, Ag College could be the Winx of SIRU?, Leeton will definitely be strong and retain quite a few of last years team, Griffith will make a big resurgence and rightly so, hopefully CSU will be competitive but need to do some work this year for future years, City is anyone’s guess at the moment but they will always be competitive and play a strong role, and then there is Waratahs, the blue baggers may have a few new recruits to reveal in round 1????

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well done to Aggies - that is a fantastic effort to qualify for the GF
Will Mitchell has inspired his players to great heights this year both on and off the Field
Are we looking at history repeating itself on Saturday after Aggies beat the undefeated Waratahs in 2009 ??
Waratahs deserve to be Warm Favourites but Aggies won't lie down for them
The Underdogs will have plenty of support next Saturday but they will have to play out of their skins as well

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2018 GF Preview:

Waratahs v Ag College – 1st Grade Grand Final
3:15pm Kickoff @ Conolly Oark #1. Referee – S Donelan
Check the GAGR front page (link above)

CSU v Griffith – Women’s Grand Final
2:15pm Kickoff @ Conolly Park #1. Referee – J Martel
Griffith rolled past Waratahs last week to book their spot into the GF, whereas Reddies had done enough in previous weeks to book their ticket. From what my scouts tell me, this match will be defined by the match up between the form team of the season (Griffith – Minor Premiers) vs the form team of the finals (Reddies – 2017 Runners Up).

Reddies are no stranger to finals football and will no doubt be driven by a heartbreaking loss in extra time last year, interestingly Ua Ravu was playing for the Dianas in that game, will her experience lend Griffith the edge they need?

Keep an eye on – Biola Dawe and Britney Bedford (CSU) and Ua Ravu and Lele Katoa (Griffith)

Waratahs v Wagga City – 2nd Grade Grand Final
12:35pm Kickoff @ Conolly Park #1. Referee – B Reynolds
Punters could be excused for thinking this is a 1st Grade game in this match up, such is the experience across both teams. There’s enough experience and talent in these two teams to give most of the 1st XV’s in SIRU a shake!

Wagga City broke Waratah’s hearts last season after the siren on Grand Final day and I reckon they’re going to have to work pretty hard to get a similar result this year. Waratahs haven’t really been challenged in 2nds this season but that’s not always a positive coming into a GF in 2’s is it?
Waratahs probably have the edge in the tight five, City in the backrow, even stevens through the playmakers. I’d give Waratahs an edge in the outside backs though. For me, this match will be decided by the team who controls the half-five eight combination the best as it’s likely to be wet in this game and decision making could prove the difference.

Keep an eye out for – Tony Ritchie, Morgan Jones and Justin Shortis (Waratahs)
and Josh Crockett, Rambo Lagaali and Aaron Hand (City)

Hay v Waratahs – 3rd Grade Grand Final
11:05am Kickoff @ Conolly Park #1. Referee – T Adamson
Hay are out to make amends for their slip up in the preliminary final in 2017 but will be wary of their Waratahs counterparts here.

The 3rd Grade Match last week between Deni and Waratahs got off to a cracking start with both teams throwing the ball around from side to side, once they settled down though, the game became a little more structured.
Waratahs have got a pretty experienced team across the board in this game and will be looking to draw on that experience at key times in this match. While Hay have probably got a younger, fitter team with a sprinkling of experience, they aren’t strangers to finals footy and have an impressive record of being there when it counts at the pointy end of the season.
Expect to see a rolling game plan from Hay, strong defence from both teams and Waratahs keen to play on the fringes of the field.

Keep an eye out for – Manning Doughty, Tom Lilburne and Bill Nadin (Hay) and Tim King, Ritchie Lamont and the evergreen Matt “Premiership” Hannaford (Waratahs)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Waratahs 52 bt Ag College 14
Harry Hosegood MOM
Blake Hart B&F

More to follow tomorrow.

Short version. Waratahs 3 grades, Reddies in Women's

Will Thomas

Frank Row (1)
Rumours or suggestions of Waratah players gaining financial incentives is completely untrue and does no service to the competition or the players and coaches of Waratahs who worked so hard. Instead of worrying about Waratahs losing players in hoping they come back to a level playing field for next year perhaps clubs should focus on striving to get to the standard Waratahs showed this season for the betterment of the competition.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Another season over and Waratahs as expected win the 1st Grade Grand Final and the other Grades as well
Aggies were gallant in defeat but in the end it was Men playing Boys and over 80 minutes the Men are always going to be too strong

I'd say Aggies are setting the foundations for a strong few years ahead of them, a strong backbone with McTaggart, Duffy, Harris, Brooke and Woods really laying a decent platform for the future.

The retrirement of several premiership players has been announced but more importantly the Premiership winning Coach is believed to be also pulling the Pin

Lots of rumours over the years have suggested that financial incentives have been made available to Waratahs players so it will be interesting to see what happens next year, particularly with the Coach exiting as well !

I also hear a range of other retirements are on the books and I reckon if you spoke to the players in 1st Grade for Waratahs, they were pretty open about 2018 being their last go round.

Sounds like a post full of sour grapes to me mate. Cast your mind back to 2017 where Waratahs made the big dance across all three Men's grades as they did this year. How many Premierships did they bring home then? Zero.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say the taste of defeat was a motivator much greater than any financial incentive that can be put forward.

The SIRU Referees association is apparently frustrated with the lack of Support from the ACT Refs Association and they are looking in the C/West direction as well

I can lay that to rest right now, not happening mate. Regardless of issues with numbers, SIRRA are a committed group of referees who are rugby fans first and foremost and local rugby people. SIRRA is named SIRRA for a reason.

When you consider that the likes of Coota, Temora, Wyalong, Harden, Grenfell & Condobolin (all former SIRU Clubs) have moved to a NSW Country Competition in recent years you wonder if the attraction of resuming links with NSW Country is gathering a bit of pace

SIRU probably can't fix everything but hopefully the Clubs will get to voice their opinions at this year's AGM

I'd encourage clubs to start thinking now about what worked in 2018 and what they want in 2019 through to 2020 at least. Why wait to the AGM, start talking to your own club committee and the SIRU Board now.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It's great to see the zone kicking off a formal post-season review for the Juniors competition.

Keep an eye on the SIRU Facebook page for further information about the Seniors review also.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Righto Punters, now's your chance to put all your thoughts and ideas into action.

SIRU are looking for a 360 degree feedback from punters, coaches, club stalwarts, canteen managers, gate keepers, trainers, referees, players and the general rugby public.

Who wants more footy in the season? What should SIRU do with the Rep Program? Can SIRU expand the Women's Rep Program? What's the future of the competition? Who wants a Top 4 Finals Series? How many byes should the competition have?

Have your say... Click on the below link and put your voice forward!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Shute Shield Grand Final this Saturday afternoon at North Sydney Oval between Sydney Uni & Warringah
Great to see former Wagga Junior Stu Dunbar playing 5/8 for Sydney Uni - he was one of their best players on the field last Saturday in their Semi final win over Manly.
Another former Wagga Junior Harry Burey missed out on a GF appearance after Norths were beaten by Warringah last Sunday in the other semi final
Great to see former Wagga & Riverina Juniors doing well at a number of Shute Shield Clubs - in fact Stu Dunbar, Harry Burey & Harry Tyson (Randwick) all have played 5/8 for their respective 1st Grade teams this year.
Over the years several SIRU Players have tried their hand in the Canberra Competition but for various reasons have struggled to gain recognition from the Clubs in the ACT ?? (Burey & Tyson come into this Category)
Despite SIRU having huge numbers in the Brumbies Provincial Team in recent years not one player has been ear marked for a shot at the ACT NRC Squad ? - despite promises of a legitimate Pathway for these players
The Sydney Colts Competition is 10 times stronger than the ACT Colts Competition which prepares the players well for Grade Rugby
To become better players our Juniors need to look at playing in stronger Competitions and that means looking outside the ACT if you don't have to go to Canberra for work or Study purposes.

Also the feedback survey being conducted by SIRU will hopefully be acted on at this year's AGM because a number of changes are needed for the future

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Despite SIRU having huge numbers in the Brumbies Provincial Team in recent years not one player has been ear marked for a shot at the ACT NRC Squad ? - despite promises of a legitimate Pathway for these players

Ok, I understand the background/intent/etc to the above, but who from SIRU would you put ahead of the squad that the Vikings have named for the NRC?

Remember that Angus Le Lievre is the most recent player from this area to be considered for the ACT Griffins team and prior to that was Ben Leaper - both pretty handy footballers.

Corey Toole is the most recent "junior" to have been recognised from this area. If that's the standard, I'd say that the selections are pretty spot on. Maybe Blake Hart is worthy of a trial with the Griffins, but would you expect to see some more footy from him before putting him into that group?

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/08/21/nrc-2018-vikings-squad

Interestingly, the Rebels and Brumbies development programs are meeting in Albury later this month in the 15's, 16's and 19's age groups. I'm not aware of any juniors from this area in these programs?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My understanding is that SIRU is supposed to be a Nursery for ACT (Brumbies Rugby) - we are Affiliated with the Brumbies after previously being affiliated with NSW Country
The Vikings have named 33 (yes 33) players for their squad with the likes of Tom Banks & Rory Arnold hardly up & coming players which I thought the NRC Comp was originally introduced for.
My point is do the SIRU & Brumbies Provincial players get a chance to be looked at before the Squad is named - was the coach of the Vikings team or any of his assistants at the match at Camden earlier in the year between NSW Country & the Brumbies Provincial Team ?- maybe the SIRU players mighnt be good enough to get in the Vikings squad but surely they should be given the chance to trial at least with the Squad before it is announced- sometimes people need to be given an OPPORTUNITY !!
Blake Hart won the Bill Castle Medal this year so it makes even more sense even when he missed matches due to injury that he should have been sighted by the Vikings & Brumbies and given a Trial
Do we know all the positions of the players named in the Squad - No we don't - who are the Wingers, who are the No.8s (Hatrry Hosefgood) could easily hold his own in that Squad any day of the Week
The Vikings Team list backs up the intent of my previous Post that the Brumbies say there is a Pathway for our better players but they never get looked at !!- I believe it stretches from the Juniors right through to the Seniors that the ACT Clubs Don't want outsiders (that being SIRU Players) to take the positions of their own players and their Kids (Juniors)
How can we find out who makes up the Brumbies 15s, 16s & 19s because if Toole isn't in the 19s Squad there has to be something seriously wrong here

The Bureys and Tysons of this world were only considered reasonable 2nd or 3rd Grade players in Canberra but after going to Sydney in their first year they both cracked 1st Grade for Norths & Randwick respectively & lets face it the Competition for spots in the Shute Shield teams is a lot more difficult than trying out for the ACT Competition
Australian Rugby is struggling big time at the moment and whilst coaches from Cheika downwards to the likes of ACT clubs continue to play their favourites the Code has no chance of Advancing
The Brumbies are offering 'Token support' only and need to change the way they treat Zones such as Monaro, South Coast & SIRU because people in this Zone are waking up to the 'Neglected Country Bumpkins" attitude that is coming from a Territory that is currently a Joke in the eyes of many people at the moment and I'm not talking about Sport either
Lets hope we see changes in the Future with our Pathways and players are at least given a chance to showcase their skills in a more competitive environment - is that too much to ask for ??
Lets hope the Current survey being conducted by SIRU highlights the overall inactivity of Brumbies Rugby in this area of our Game in the South of our State

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Interestingly enough the two current Brumbies staff in the SIRU region are aligned with two clubs (Ag College and Tumut). Who knows if this is right or wrong? They are entitled to play for whoever they want but could their expertise be better for the zone if spread around the clubs?
I believe Nathaniel Mooney from Wagga is currently in the Brumbies Under 16 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.