• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
In regard to comments made by Bandar and Whistle Happy. Is it in the best interests of rugby in the riverina to be a franchise of a Super Rugby enterprise? Is it in the best interests of rugby in country areas of NSW to be beholding to the ARU?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2018 Round Five Scores:
Leeton 45 bt Griffith 33
Waratahs 85 bt CSU 5
Ag College 50 bt City 10
Tumut 45 bt Albury 15

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
SIRU will play a combined South Coast/Monaro team on the Saturday of the long weekend.
Not sure how the SIRU team is being selected.
i agree that, as a product, Super Rugby has just about run its product life and I am having difficulty seeing where to in the future for it.
The Wallabies need to become more relevant to supporters and winning does help bridge the gap, but not at all cost.
Having been around a range of competitions so far this year, I think rugby is still strong at the community level but is being neglected by the hierarchy of the game with resources and support.
Obviously the top down approach used by the ARU in recent times has failed dismally and reflects very poorly on those that have been providing direction for the "elite" level of the game.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Even though our rep fixture last year was more competitive than past years it is still inadequate. This is because our rep structure is tied to a Super Rugby franchise which has it's own agenda. As the Fox related the Super Rugby and the Wallabies brands are becoming increasingly irrelevant because of their selfishness. The interest of rugby types is more in tune with community rugby and the Shute Shield. Our rep program in the Riverina should include competition against other regional zones. Rugby needs to get back to a feeling of inclusiveness rather than superiority.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
I don’t think so, just get Brumbies to think and act beyond Canberra, so that the other competitions feel as though they are actually part of the group and not just an annoyance factor to the Brumbies.
If they started to foster the other competitions more, they may find there are some very good home grown players out there, that would probably play with more passion than some of the ones they have got now. That sounds very much like a comment that should be targeted at the NSW Waratahs!
Should be an interesting round in SIRU this weekend

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Punters may not be aware that SIRU are invited to the NSW Country Championships at the Senior and Junior level.

Maybe attendance at this tournament would breathe some life into SIRU rep rugby?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Close game at Exies. 40 - 29 I think. Take Waratahs no. 15 out and Griffith win. They (Waratahs) are definitely not unbeatable. Far from it.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
48-29 actually Paul, I don’t think anyone was thinking Waratahs were unbeatable this year but they are good.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I was under the impression Silver Fox that the rest of the competition had conceded this year's trophy to Waratahs. They are a really good team. Waratahs are really enjoyable to watch because they are so well drilled. The fullback would have to be the best player in SIRU. When Blacks got close near the end of the game Waratahs moved into another gear and pulled away again. I think in the 2nd round though we'll see Aggies, Steamers and Bulls being competitive Leeton and Waratahs.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
I hear on the grapevine that the referees had a pretty good turn out at their meeting in Wagga last night.
Perhaps it might be the turning point for the refs and have a few more are around.
Last few weeks they have been pretty thin on the ground.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I hear on the grapevine that the referees had a pretty good turn out at their meeting in Wagga last night.
Perhaps it might be the turning point for the refs and have a few more are around.
Last few weeks they have been pretty thin on the ground.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it along however the feedback from the group is that there were roughly 30 bodies in attendance with a second evening being discussed. This is a great outcome for the zone and a positive step forward for rugby in this area.

Watch this space over the coming weeks though, things will get tougher before they get better.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tips for Round 8
Waratahs to be too strong for a gallant Aggies side at Conolly tomorrow - they ('Tahs) got a fright last weekend at Griffith but at home tomorrow they will flex their muscles against the Young Aggies team and run out comfortable winners - 25+
Griffith will demolish City who are probably hoping the season would end this Weekend - City have been a major disappointment this season- Blacks by 50+
Tumut to down CSU at the Uni - Tumut are staying out of the limelight whilst Waratahs & Leeton grab all the haedlines- the Bulls are looking good to finish 3rd on the Ladder at the end of the season- Bulls by 30+
Leeton to beat Albury but if the Steamers take their best available side they will be a nuisance to the Phantoms just like Aggies last Weekend -Phantoms by 20+ if Albury travel minus a few of their stars

Disappointing to read the article relating to the poor crowds at Brumbies matches this year - could this have a spin off effect on SIRU down the track ? - Let's hope not

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...if-crowds-drop-continues-20180524-p4zh6e.html

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Disappointing to read the article relating to the poor crowds at Brumbies matches this year - could this have a spin off effect on SIRU down the track ? - Let's hope not

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...if-crowds-drop-continues-20180524-p4zh6e.html

Just shows up the lack of foresight by the ARU in axing the Force, the Brumbies should have either been merged with the Rebels or moved to Western Sydney.

There is no corporate support in Canberra, it's a cold place filled with public servants and a population who would rather stay at home than get into the stadium (and I don't blame them either).

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2018 Round 8 Scores
Albury 49 bt Leeton 28
Griffith 50 bt City 26
Tumut 65 bt CSU 10
Waratahs 84 bt Ag College 26

How good is it when the clubs use the rugbyAU app! If your club isn't on board, encourage them to be - such a simple way of keeping punters near and far up to date!

Southern Inland Zone on @rugbycomau app market://details?id=au.com.rugby.rugbyau #rugbyau

Status
Not open for further replies.