• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for @Reasoning to comment on this forum again either Sam. I assume they were his thoughts about the situation last weekend at Connolly. I would also assume it was his right to express those thoughts on this forum. It's not his fault there is a lack of match officials this year. I don't think we are too good Maulalltheway. I think we are playing in the wrong rep situation - because we are controlled by a Super Rugby Franchise. As for political correctness or incorrectness. There were 13 SIRU players and 10 SCM players selected. Congratulations to all Brumbies Provincial players and good luck on the weekend. I just don't think we had our strongest squad representing SIRU last weekend. In fact I wonder whether another team could be picked from the remaining non-selected (for whatever reason) players in the SIRU comp that would be competitive against the Brumbies Provincial team.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for @Reasoning to comment on this forum again either Sam. I assume they were his thoughts about the situation last weekend at Connolly. I would also assume it was his right to express those thoughts on this forum. It's not his fault there is a lack of match officials this year. I don't think we are too good Maulalltheway. I think we are playing in the wrong rep situation - because we are controlled by a Super Rugby Franchise. As for political correctness or incorrectness. There were 13 SIRU players and 10 SCM players selected. Congratulations to all Brumbies Provincial players and good luck on the weekend. I just don't think we had our strongest squad representing SIRU last weekend. In fact I wonder whether another team could be picked from the remaining non-selected (for whatever reason) players in the SIRU comp that would be competitive against the Brumbies Provincial team.

Being controlled by a super rugby franchise is a positive in my opinion. We are provided a development officer, a comp administrator and readily available access to professional players, along with pathways for juniors(Corey Toole) and seniors.
I can only assume that you think a return to NSW country would be a better solution.
I grew up a lot closer to Sydney than we are here and didn't see a development officer or player from the Waratahs or Country rugby once. When the transfer from NSW country rugby to the ACT zone occurred the impact was instant.

Offer a solution to this broken rep situation mate. That alone would be positive.

You're probably right re selecting a better squad. However, to clarify, players need to nominate to play rep rugby. Either you were unaware of this or you feel that someone was hard done by to miss selection? without seeing the nominated players who weren't selected how are we to tell this for sure?

I cant believe the level of negativity towards our zone. Weather it be referees, clubs, rep program, brumbies involvement...

Lets look at the positives from the weekend.
18,19 and 20 year olds being selected in the zone is only good for the development of our players.
The development of Cam Duffy and Tom Moaut through the rep program over the last 3 years is huge.

While i believe that outside of our zone (monaro and South Coast) there are rep issues which we cant do anything about. To Say that the whole system is broken is wrong. It could improve but we have a pathway currently and i would assume thats something.

In the last 5 years SIRU have provided Ben Leaper, Angus Le Lievre, Chris Latu, Tanian Naude, Sam Hobbs, Simon Vunilagi and Cam Duffy who have all played or trained with the ACT Giffons or the ACT 7s teams.
Sounds like a pretty good broken system.

I leave the floor open to you Paul...
preach to me and provide us with an alternate solution

one last thing... express your opinions on all things SIRU all you like, just be prepared to be called out on those opinions of you aren't willing to do something to help.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure about the whole blow up occurring - is it OK to say the SIRU No. 2 throwing was not up to scratch but not the the refereeing could have been better????

Yes we are short of referees and whatever we can do to encourage more would be great - the same could be said about players at CSU or City currently, Albury & Leeton in the past, but that hasn't prevented people having a go at those clubs here.

Referees are part of the game and if the players can be critiqued so can they.

As for the rep situation, I don't think Paul was bagging it to the extent you seem to think, he was saying the rep set up could be improved upon. I agree, we are the dominant zone out of 3 in the Brumbies provincial area, and they have only a 7 club 2 grade & colts comp in the city.

The Waratahs have the Shute Shield, 11 clubs with 5 grades and 3-4 of colts above 5 divisions of subbies rugby in the city. There are at least 10 NSW Country zones, the majority of which would be on par or stronger than SIRU for player numbers and depth.

Maybe the resources should be split more evenly with Central West and Illawarra becoming provincial zones under the Brumbies, even if it is just for representative honors then a combined NSW Country team could be picked for their tours when they have them. When the Lions came on their last tour they played a combined NSW & QLD Country team, nobody from SIRU (or SC/Monaro for that matter) was even considered. That's not a good pathway.

I know this is not in SIRU's control but has the question even been asked?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Not sure about the whole blow up occurring - is it OK to say the SIRU No. 2 throwing was not up to scratch but not the the refereeing could have been better????

As for the rep situation, I don't think Paul was bagging it to the extent you seem to think, he was saying the rep set up could be improved upon. I agree, we are the dominant zone out of 3 in the Brumbies provincial area, and they have only a 7 club 2 grade & colts comp in the city.

The Waratahs have the Shute Shield, 11 clubs with 5 grades and 3-4 of colts above 5 divisions of subbies rugby in the city. There are at least 10 NSW Country zones, the majority of which would be on par or stronger than SIRU for player numbers and depth.

Maybe the resources should be split more evenly with Central West and Illawarra becoming provincial zones under the Brumbies, even if it is just for representative honors then a combined NSW Country team could be picked for their tours when they have them. When the Lions came on their last tour they played a combined NSW & QLD Country team, nobody from SIRU (or SC/Monaro for that matter) was even considered. That's not a good pathway.

I know this is not in SIRU's control but has the question even been asked?

Interesting thoughts here. Couple of facts to remember
Monaro select from the following sides. Hall (2 grades), ADFA (3 grades), Goulburn (2 grades), Young (1 grade), Cooma (2 grades), Crookwell, Taralga, Jindabyne, Yass, Boorowa, RMC. 16 sides to select the Monaro side. From this group Young nominated 3 players, ADFA nominated 15 players, Hall nominated 1 player and Boorowa nominated 1 player. Where are the nominations from Goulburn, Young, Coma, Crookwell, Taralga, Jindabyne, Yass, and RMC. glad this isn't our zone to be honest.
South Coast select from Bungendore, Batemans Bay, Braidwood. 12 from Bungendore, 7 from the bay and 4 from braidwood.

So the combined Monaro South Coast side selected from 7 of a possible 19 sides.

This isnt ideal, but its not our issue. We can only play as SIRU what is there to play against.

i feel your comments are slightly contradictory when explaining our broken rep program. On one hand you say "10 NSW Country zones, the majority of which would be on par or stronger than SIRU" then suggest that players from SIRU are god enough to be playing against the Lions?
That team was 13 of the 23 from either Premier Rugby or Super Rugby. there were a token number of country players, 3 from NSW country (Dylan Evans, Via the Brumbies Academy, Now playing as a Scarlets Squad member in Wales) and 7 from QLD country (rory arnold?)

When our pathway is club, SIRU, ACT Provincial, Griffons/ACT 7s and we have had 7 blokes in the last 5 years promoted to these squads i think were doing pretty well. This along with Corey Toole in the ACT Schools side for the nationals.

Pathways are just that, the opportunity for players to track through the system if they are good enough. Hanging about asking for and waiting for a better setup is simply wasting time.

For the record i don't hate the idea of Central West and Illawarra becoming part of the ACT Provincial zones for rep purposes. SIRU would come third in this setup based on current sides. but thats another discussion.

Lets, just for this week, enjoy that a fair chunk of our boys are given an opportunity to play against the best from Country NSW and as a result are given the opportunity to be seen by the ACT pathways people.

Mauler out

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
i feel your comments are slightly contradictory when explaining our broken rep program. On one hand you say "10 NSW Country zones, the majority of which would be on par or stronger than SIRU" then suggest that players from SIRU are god enough to be playing against the Lions?
That team was 13 of the 23 from either Premier Rugby or Super Rugby. there were a token number of country players, 3 from NSW country (Dylan Evans, Via the Brumbies Academy, Now playing as a Scarlets Squad member in Wales) and 7 from QLD country (rory arnold?)

I didn't say they were good enough - just the pathway isn't there.

Pathways are really for juniors now any with the professional setup. There is really no chance of replicating Steve Merrick and playing for the Wallabies from a country club, even wallaby bolters are full time professionals.

Good luck for the weekend - would love to see the Brumbies Provincial come home with the win.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I didn't say they were good enough - just the pathway isn't there.

Pathways are really for juniors now any with the professional setup. There is really no chance of replicating Steve Merrick and playing for the Wallabies from a country club, even wallaby bolters like are full time professionals.

Good luck for the weekend - would love to see the Brumbies Provincial come home with the win.

Cue the chorus
“Those were the days my friend”

The pathway is there. You just need to be good enough and willing to follow it if you want to play professionally.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't know anywhere near as much about the rugby set up as you and Bandar, Mauler. Personally I don't think of rep rugby in the country areas as being a stepping stone to higher levels - but if that happens, great. What about this. We have SIRU K/O at the beginning of the season. Compulsory attendance of clubs. SCM rep attend as a team. Out of this K/O we pick a Brumbies Prov team with power to add during the season. We then have 3 training runs on Sundays when Juniors have Gala Days in Wagga and get our Rep players to do skills sessions with the kids as well as their own rep training. Have the game we are having this weekend next year on the long weekend - if you get what I'm trying to say. At least that way we are taking the whole thing more seriously and a weekend isn't taken out of the SIRU sequence of games.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't know anywhere near as much about the rugby set up as you and Bandar, Mauler. Personally I don't think of rep rugby in the country areas as being a stepping stone to higher levels - but if that happens, great. What about this. We have SIRU K/O at the beginning of the season. Compulsory attendance of clubs. SCM rep attend as a team. Out of this K/O we pick a Brumbies Prov team with power to add during the season. We then have 3 training runs on Sundays when Juniors have Gala Days in Wagga and get our Rep players to do skills sessions with the kids as well as their own rep training. Have the game we are having this weekend next year on the long weekend - if you get what I'm trying to say. At least that way we are taking the whole thing more seriously and a weekend isn't taken out of the SIRU sequence of games.

This has merit i reckon mate.
We'd still face the "my old/tired body wants a rest" excuse but the idea of a full program sounds heaps better to me.
i could see South Coast Monaro not coming to the party but it is an idea we should explore.

Even if it is a SIRU only rep program from that point it would benefit the zone tremendously, both as a senior program but as a junior mentor program for SIRU juniors and junior rep.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
NSW country 34 - 24 ACT Provincial.
Good, tough rugby match.

10-0 to country at halftime who had a strong wind at their back for the first 40 minutes. Noa Rabici (broken arm), Josef Glamuina (concussion) and Ash Kenny (Concussion), all injured in the first half. Replaced by Jonte Hirshfield, Vaughn Scott and Jack Kearns respectively.

Skipper Matt Todd dislocated shoulder early in second half, replaced by Callum Marr.
ACT used wind well early in second half and scored through Mike Van Diggelen, converted by Blake Le Cornu took the score to 10-7.

Poor exit following try allowed country strong field position and they capitalised down the right wing with try converted to take score to 17-7.

Country controlled the ball and field position for the next 10 minutes. An intercept from Jonte Hirshfield was was called back for offside. From ensuing scrum country scored in the right hand corner again. A missed conversion took the score to 24-7.
ACT loked to speed the game up and scored a quality try down the left wing through Mark Poplin from Boorowa. Conversion missed. 24-12.

2 quick tries to Country off the back of sustained pressure saw the score move to 34-12.
A late rally and some very good offloading and speed in the play saw ACT score 2 late tries to Apimaleki Kuladonu and Jack Kearns with one conversion taking the final score to 34-24.

Country were very strong in the pack and ACT battled to contain the scrum. Parity was gained at the lineout with Austen Wallace, Jack Kearns and Callum Marr Strong in the air and breakdown through the Mike Van Diggelen.

Backs played very well considering the changes to the setup through injury. Probably lost a bit of penetration with Noa and Josef departing early. Cam Duffy and Jonte Hirshfield defended and created well. Blake Le Cornu was all class at the back and well supported by wingers Poplin and Corey Toole.

Best for ACT were Duffy, Le Cornu, McTaggert in the Backs and Wallace, Kearns and Van Diggelen. Menzies Seumanutafa put his hand up all day looking for the tough carry meters in the midfield.

All in all, with minimal prep, multiple injury changes and some very young players(Toole and Kearns) a god performance from the ACT boys against a very good rejuvenated Country side.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Injury to Noa Rabici (broken arm) is very unfortunate and is a big loss for Leeton for the remainder of the season
2 Interesting matches this Weekend in Wagga with Waratahs hosting Tumut and Ag College hosting Albury
At this stage of the season I reckon it might be Waratahs against either Albury or Tumut on Grand Final Day
The Steamers are one of the form teams in the Competition at the moment and with Uni holidays on at the moment they will tear the Aggies forward pack apart
That's a good effort by the Brumbies Provincial team in the end against Country

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Round 10 matches today and respective winners look pretty obvious on Paper
Waratahs will again prove too strong for Tumut and they will remain undefeated (most likely the whole season in fact)
Albury are probably now 2nd favourites to win the Comp after some good wins before the Byes and a gutsy loss to Waratahs
The Steamers will be much too strong for Aggies who are on holidays and apparently have several players unavailable doe tp Prac. work
Leeton (minus Noa Rabici) will still be too good for Wagga City at Leeton and Griffith will make their way back into the Top 5 with a win over CSU at Griffith
Good Luck to the Wallabies tonite - If they play attacking Rugby they can win

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
'The Steamers will be much too strong for Aggies who are on holidays and apparently have several players unavailable doe tp Prac. work'. You did get the rest of the round predictions right Whistle. Griffith now in 4th spot. Can they consolidate by beating the Steamers next weekend at Murrayfield.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At half time Albury led 19-10 apparently and were well in control of the game from all accounts
I don't know whether Albury eased up or Aggies found a new lease of Life
Big match at Murrayfield next Saturday between the Blacks & the Steamers and also at Tumut when the Bulls host Aggies
Were Griffith very good yesterday or was it a case of Reddies being too far off the pace as they have been for most of the season

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The Reddies tried all day. The game looked like a Colts team playing a 1st grade team. If the Blacks were to win next week it would give them a confidence boost coming into their 2 in a row home games against Leeton and Tumut. I've got a feeling their season depends on what happens at Murrayfield next Sat.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Round 11 Matches- Waratahs to run all over City again - let's hope they (Waratahs) don't pass the Century again
Leeton travel to Wagga to take on CSU Reddies and will return home comfortable winners based on last Weekend's results
Albury host the Griffith Blacks and I reckon the Steamers are certainties - that loss to Aggies last week would have shocked them as they apparently compounded in the second half - these 2 teams drew in the first Round at Griffith and the Blacks are always a risk on the Road !
Tumut host Wagga Ag College in another interesting clash. The Tumut Bulls had their colours lowered by Waratahs last saturday but were not disgraced and like Albury they will be keen to get back into Winning form on their Home Ground
Ag College apparently played 2 halves of Football last Weekend against the Steamers but will need to play their best Rugby from the opening whistle if they are to trouble the Bulls tomorrow - Tumut to win between 10-15 points

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
#SIRU2018 Round 11 Scores

Albury 54 bt Griffith 5
Ag 41 bt Tumut 24
Leeton 61 bt CSU 7
Waratahs 127 bt City 3

Dumbstruck by the Waratahs v City score- What is going on with Wagga City Rugby Club this year ??
Grand Finalists in 2016 and now only 2 years later getting beaten by the same team in that Grand Final by scores of 117-0 and 127-3 - Thank God they kicked that penalty or field goal to improve their percentages
This is not a Good Look for the SIRU Competition heading forward and with CSU not performing very well again this year there may be causes for concern with team numbers down the track
I'm sure City will roll out all the reasons and excuses for their poor performances this year but a bit of a story doing the Rounds is that they are stacking their 2nd & 3rd Grade Teams for the Finals !!!!
If this is the case the Club needs to have a Good hard look at themselves for the rest of the season and the Future
I don't want t o kick a Club when they are obviously down but surely the Club has some Pride in their Performances on the field and for the Future
Who wouls sertiously think of playing for Cuity if they arrived in Wagga next year looking for a Game Of Rugby
I hope they finish the season off on a better note.

Aggies are proving to be a bit of a 'Dark Horse ' in this year's Competition - I wonder if the youngsters can keep their Momentum going for the rest of the year

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Just reflecting on my predictions from March, 2 weeks before the comp kicked off.
The only ones I got correct were Waratahs and Ag College & CSU.
Thought Griffith would have been stronger and Leeton would have stayed more focused.
Tumut wavering around, City a real concern at present, Albury lurking in the middle.
I’ll stick my neck out and make a prediction for the GF- Waratahs V Ag College, with the winner being whoever is up for it more on the day, undefeated premierships are hard to do. We have seen this in previous years

Status
Not open for further replies.