1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by yourmatesam, Dec 12, 2018.

1. yourmatesam Dick Tooth (41)

Post all your 2019 thoughts and ideas in here guys.
  2. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Great to read of the Positive Numbers being talked about for the Rep Squad next year- 1st Training run this Saturady at Conolly
    If the Best players from every Club made themselves available for the Rep Squad next year it would be a pretty handy side
    Waratahs brushed the Rep Program this year but with new coaches let's hope there is a better response next year
    Does anyone know from the AGM what Date the Comp is expected to kick off next year - I hope there are Comp. matches planned to be played before Easter next year
  3. Bandar Fred Wood (13)

The suggested draw dates has 2 rounds before Easter but 5 general byes, the last between round 14 and the first week of finals.

Finals back to a top 4 played over 3 weeks.

Personally I think it is too many byes, the clubs have been asked to discuss with their committees and provide feedback.
  4. Bandar Fred Wood (13)

Sorry I had that wrong - there are actually 6 byes penciled in.
  5. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

I can see a place for the 5 byes with the rep and medal presentation. What was the 6th bye actually for Bandar.
  6. yourmatesam Dick Tooth (41)

Cool your jets folks, clubs are voting on the draw.

I think it's a good thing to see the zone putting these ideas out to the clubs and having them organised. Ideally, the 2020 draw should be getting worked on during the season, with a draft draw being forwarded to clubs in preparation for the next year before the season is over.
  7. yourmatesam Dick Tooth (41)

From memory, the draft draw saw the comp kick off two weeks before Easter.

Byes - Easter Long Weekend, June Long Weekend, week after June Long Weekend, before Finals Series plus two others intermittently in there to line up with Junior Gala Days which is when the "City v Country" games are scheduled for.

14 rounds of footy through there
    something like..

April 6th Round 1
    April 13th Round 2
    April 20th BYE - Easter
    April 27th Round 3
    May 4th Round 4
    May 11th BYE - City v Country
    May 18th Round 5
    May 25th Round 6
    June 1st Round 7 (FSC v Monaro)
    June 8th BYE - June Long Weekend SIRU v FSC/Monaro
    June 15th BYE - Brumbies P v NSWC
    June 22nd Round 8
    June 29th Round 9
    Juny 6th Round 10
    July 13th BYE - City v Country
    July 20th Round 11
    July 27th Round 12
    August 3rd Round 13
    August 10th Round 14
    August 17th BYE - Bill Castle Medal/Alicia Quirk Medal Luncheon
    August 24th Finals 1
    August 31st Finals 2
    September 7th GF
  8. Maulalltheway Ted Fahey (11)

65 nominations. Around 30 attendees yesterday with available and non available players.
    Great result, heaps of support from the players.
  9. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

Firstly, Mauler do you honestly agree that we should have 6 byes in a 14 round competition? Secondly what could be the purpose of the July 13 bye? All this is happening because we we can’t attend the Country Championships because we are part of the Brumbies franchise isn’t it? You say people don’t suggest solutions. Here’s a suggestion. Get Super Rugby out of rugby in country NSW and let us all operate on an equal footing.
  10. Maulalltheway Ted Fahey (11)

6 byes 2 byes no byes not my decision mate. Let the clubs decide. If you’re so worried about it get on your local committee or nominate for the zone board and put your ideas forward
    yourmatesam likes this.
  11. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

I realise it’s not your decision mate. As usual you don’t answer anything.
  12. Maulalltheway Ted Fahey (11)

I don’t really care as long as it’s been decided by a majority of the club committees. I care what these people think because they have the go forward to do something about what they believe and are more than words on a forum.

Just quietly, there is a big difference between not getting an answer and getting an answer you didn’t like.
    Thanks for the feedback pal
  13. yourmatesam Dick Tooth (41)

I agree here Reasoning, let the clubs tell the Board what they want, it's their comp after all. I like that there is some positive chat around at this stage of the season, it's good to see.

I'd rather see players make it on merit anyway, if they aren't up to scratch, they generally move on to other things anyway.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I reckon the most successful player from Southern Inland was actually a player from Wagga City - Ben Miller, played for Wests in the early 2000's and won two Premierships ('02 & '05 possibly) with them from memory out of a total of 6 years playing 1st Grade for them.

That's pretty impressive in my view.

It's a pathway, not perfect but neither in Country Week either.
  14. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

Why is the issue about pathways such a big deal. If the selected rep team went to country week couldn’t the players just enjoy the competition. 99% of siru players just want to play weekly rugby. Who cares about being poached to Canberra rugby.
  15. yourmatesam Dick Tooth (41)

I don't see it as a major issue Paul, probably just a point for those that are capable and interested that there is a pathway available.

In terms of playing weekly rugby, if that focus remains on the local competition, great. If the focus is on having a run and a few froffies at Country Week, I don't see why the zone would/should be on that train?
  16. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

Well worded Sam. Just don’t spend too much time and emphasis on the rep stuff. Pathways should be mainly a focus for junior siru.
    yourmatesam likes this.
  17. Maulalltheway Ted Fahey (11)

Can’t please you blokes.
    Always hear reps not adequate. Something new in the pipeline and now it’s dont worry about rep, not important.
    Don’t know why I’m surprised though.
    “We want change, but not that change”

Who is rep footy for, the players who want to be part of it or old blokes throwing darts from the sidelines. Perhaps ask a few of the guys involved and see if they think Saturday was worth it prior to passing judgement. Right now you lot are sounding like Ian Chappell running out the “back in my days” storylines.
  18. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

Back in my day rep anything was for the best. Not for those who ‘want’ to be part of it. Trouble is our best aren’t interested in being part of it. They’d rather be home playing darts.
  19. Maulalltheway Ted Fahey (11)

So more opportunities for more players is a bad thing?

Heard it all now
  20. paul bristow Ward Prentice (10)

OK Mauler lets just agree to disagree. I think the rep program is inadequate and you think it’s fine and headed in the right direction. Like you said I’m only throwing darts from the sidelines. It will be really interesting to see how the clubs vote.