• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I don’t want to seem like I’m putting the boot into the Leeton Rugby Club when they’re obviously struggling a bit but aren’t a lot of the players in the Phantoms 1st grade team imported players. By imported I mean they originally came to Leeton to play rugby. How many players in the Leeton club actually come from Leeton. The Phantoms 1st grade team may be a potent force now they don’t have to play 2 games.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd suggest that there are no strategic plans in place for Rugby in this area of the world that have tangible outcomes. I am aware of some strategies there to increase the junior competition which is pleasing to see some thought go into, however I am not aware of any plans for the Senior Competition. The competition lost a great asset with the election of the new Board last year, losing a key asset who had some good ideas about forward thinking and accountability.

In my eyes, the previous decisions to let Coota/Temora/Grenfell/Young/Wyalong/Condo/Harden etc move to the CW competition were probably short sighted and pointed to a lack of strategic planning also. While the movement of Condo and West Wyalong (initially?) probably made sense at the time, I think there is a bigger issue at play for rugby in this area of the world.

If you think about the geography of where we sit in the rugby landscape, we are located between ACT/NSW/VIC. Surrounded by 3 franchises and with links to all 3. Is the lack of strategic planning linked to our location? We're in an area that is caught between 3 franchises, it's part of why I think the ARU should have kept the Western Force and moved/merged the Brumbies and Rebels to cover the "Southern Zone" of ACT/Vic (and chuck Tas/SA in there too).

ACT-SNSW/Brumbies Rugby have really gone off the boil in this area in the past 5 years particularly. Remember the heady days of the Tooheys $15k Sponsorship (I think there's still a silver can of Tooheys Blue in the canteen at Tumut), 2003 RWC, Colts, Vodafone Championships, SIRU Playing in the ACT Pre-Season Competition. All that has gone in 15 years.

A serious threat to the zone is how the area is funded and the risk to the Senior Competition is actually the Junior Competition. It becomes a mathematical nightmare to figure out how the funding is developed for this area, but essentially it's based on a participant figure which is forecast for the next season based on last season's figures. The biggest participant base for the competition is the Juniors. I see a future where the clubs to the north of Wagga choose to align themselves with the Central West competition entirely from Seniors through to Juniors which would be a genuine death knock for footy in this area of the world.

The Brumbies are not interested in the behind the scenes work that develops footy in the region. Did anyone know that the ACT Schoolboys (with 2 kids from this area of the world) played Victoria in Albury on the Long Weekend? Yes, they send the Brumbies players out here on a bye weekend, but where are the fundamentals for building rugby in the zone? The SIRU Rep program has been a hot topic on here and I see that program as being symptomatic of the wider problem - local interest, local support, passionate people but arguably lacking in direction. (No, that is not a shot at the Rep Program, but an observation of what I see as wider Rugby issues).

If the Junior clubs choose to change their allegiance to the CW Competition (remember, they didn't have a President last year and I forget whether they do have one this year) that will be a death knock for Rugby in Southern Inland. It will cut funding in this area by at least a third.

In regards to Referee numbers, SIRRA have been engaging with clubs on this matter for a number of seasons now, have spoken to the Board, Development Staff, Development Managers at an ARU/Brumbies Rugby level and requests for support, courses, etc all fall on deaf ears. We're not on the radar at those levels.

We have some really positive support from some clubs in the area, particularly at the Junior level and there is interest out there from rugby people who want to take up the whistle, the challenge is convincing the bodies that support this area to run courses targetted at getting those people to transfer into qualified referees.

The start needs to be at the Junior level, getting kids/parents/coaches to help out at their junior gala days and support those parents/kids/coaches to do that regularly - it's where the vast majority of handy referees in this area have cut their teeth and there are prospects in those groups now.

The best thing the rugby community can do to assist with referee numbers is be positive about the referee - win/lose or draw. No ifs, ands or buts, the people standing by you in the crowd while you lose your nut at the referee are making a decision to never be involved as a referee.

And apologies for the long winded post... :)

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Seniors rego money shouldn’t pay for D.O.s. No game - Girls, 3rds, 2nds or 1sts should be allowed to be played without a badged properly attired referee and 2 qualified A.R.s. A Ground Manager at each ground should have to sign off that this has occurred. Officials should be appropriately compensated. Impossible ? Rugby League has achieved this. When is litigation going to become an issue. We’ve had the situation of spectators citing players. We’ve had 2 cases of mistaken identity at judiciary hearings. If we have to be part of the Brumbies franchise they should be subsidising Siru not the other way around.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
We have 2 Full Time Development Officer's (DO's)in the Zone and I wonder how many times they have been out to assist both CSU and Leeton this season
They'll probably say that's not their Domain or nobody asked us - if that's the case they have got their heads in the Clouds and couldn't care less about the survival of the Seniors Comp
In fairness to the roles of our DO's, they need to work to the strategy put in place by the Brumbies. They are trying to create opportunities for kids to play rugby at school and then links into the local Junior Club. The Brumbies could run some coaching programs at those clubs, but the DO's need to talk to their Managers about how/if they can assist there.

Eventually Central West will take over most of our Juniors because their Senior Clubs are aligned with Central West
You could argue that the work being done by our DO's in a number of our Junior Clubs is helping C/West basically take over the SIRU Zone
At the rate the Senior Comp is falling apart we may see teams from Bathurst, Cowra & Orange come to Wagga to take on Waratahs, City & Ag College

I think SIRU will end up finding themselves in a position where they go cap in hand to NSW and talk about options there. That will be a massive move for the Board to take as there is a strong allegiance to the ACT/SNSW Rugby within those levels of the game but I'd agree that the future isn't very clear and there needs to be some sort of plan put in place.

As far as the other issues you mentioned it has been a disappointing season for SIRU so far this year with no continuity in the Comp and some below standard Rugby being played by a number of players who aren't fit and look as though they would like to be somewhere else
I agree Whistle, fitness and the general standard of rugby is off. Technique appears to be lacking in the set piece, with scrums and lineouts not a highlight of the game, tackling is optional at some clubs and the pace of the game is almost pedestrian in some instances.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Whistle and Reasoning predicted the blowout in the Waratahs/City game. Griffith have had only 3 wins and 2 of those have been against CSU. If they are to figure in the finals they’ll have beat Phantoms this week. Will we see a rejuvenated Leeton now they don’t have players playing twice? It’s pretty much crunch time for both these clubs this round. You just get the feeling Waratahs are about to exert their dominance on the competition. Another blowout at Murrayfield Whistle and Reasoning?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
because of the spending spree theyThe Phantoms) have been on in recent years they havent done anything for their Juniors etc

Have have spent any more than other clubs and what they taken away from the juniors etc?

Talking to some of the Leeton juniors at Coota over the weekend they are the strongest they have ever been with full teams in all the age groups except one or two of the girls touch. The whole city of Wagga can't manage to get an U16's team.

The Phantoms of 10 years ago or even longer would only cringe at what has happened to their once mighty Club

From my recollection the Phantoms of 10 years ago were a one team club who didn't win anything in the 3rd grade competition. There was a pretty big and happy crowd in Leeton a couple of years ago when they won 1st Grade for only the 2nd time in their existence.

There has not been a 3rd grade in Leeton for about 20 years - I think the RAAF, Army and Junee all had teams then.

I wouldn't think anyone involved is happy with the current numbers for Leeton but it is not anything new and I'm sure they will one day be strong again, every 20 years or so they go OK.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Was informed last Weekend that Central West won the Country C'Ships on the Long Weekend at Tamworth but strangely Newcastle decided not to enter a team in the C'Ships - I wonder what was going on there ?

From what I’ve heard this was to do with the amount of players paid in the Newcastle hunter competition and the by laws of the country champs.

Side note congrats to former SIRU and Ag college players Shahid Khalfan, Tom Macleay, Tom Dunstan and Aaron’s Seaman on their selection in the central west side.
In particular Shahid who was awarded player of the tournament at half back for central west.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The fact that Wagga can’t field a 16s team proves that Juniors numbers and Seniors numbers don’t have much correlation in regards to individual clubs. The biggest problem facing Leeton re 2020 season is that the majority of this year’s remaining team are imports. The actual number of local players involved must be low. Are the players in the present team going to be around to help rebuild the club next year.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
The fact that Wagga can’t field a 16s team proves that Juniors numbers and Seniors numbers don’t have much correlation in regards to individual clubs. The biggest problem facing Leeton re 2020 season is that the majority of this year’s remaining team are imports. The actual number of local players involved must be low. Are the players in the present team going to be around to help rebuild the club next year.

Not sure Paul, some of those names have been around for a while, how long does someone have to stay in town to be considered local?

The statement about the juniors was directed and a comment that the senior club had done nothing to help with juniors etc (not sure what the etc is??) inferring that resources were taken away from juniors, paying more for player recruitment than the other clubs in the competition.

I ask again:
Do the Phantoms spend more that other clubs on player recruitment?
What haven't the Leeton Phantoms done for their juniors etc?

There seem to be 3 or 4 people on this forum who like to be constantly negative and happy to throw a heap of mud to see what sticks, maybe go out and find facts by asking people involved.

As I said earlier the Leeton people I was discussing the 2nd grade situation with at Coota on Sunday say the juniors are in the best shape they have ever been in and with strong number in the U16 hope to have a few players filter into the seniors in the next couple of years provided they don't leave town for study or work.

Referees are another thing that the same 3-4 are unhappy with, as Sam said get involved and do something about it.

If you think we are better off being under NSW instead of ACT then explain what the benefits of changing would be, realistically what difference would it make other than going to a different rep carnival (we currently have a competition manager and 2 development officers paid for by the Brumbies, what would NSW offer?)

Stand for a club or SIRU board and do more than stand back and say how much better things were in the past - it's history, the rose coloured version of it is not factual.

I know we think the standard of rugby this year is not as good as it has been for the past few years, but at least there are a couple of even teams at the top and really all bar CSU are probably capable of beating them on their day which is pretty good I think.

Given the whole sporting landscape in the country at the moment the last think rugby needs if nonfactual mud-sligging, a little bit of positivity from the supposed fans would be nice. and honest and factual criticism is acceptable.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Pretty sure Leeton wouldn’t have spent much money at all on recruiting players. Seru and Marika came to Leeton from here (Griffith) after spearheading a GF win. Our team that year had a lot of imported Fijian players drawn to Griffith by Marika’s celebrity. I am sure that would be the same scenario at Leeton. Maybe those Fijian guys who have moved to Leeton call it home now. Still a bit disappointing that so few other potential locals have joined to bolster their club.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Pretty sure Leeton wouldn’t have spent much money at all on recruiting players. Seru and Marika came to Leeton from here (Griffith) after spearheading a GF win. Our team that year had a lot of imported Fijian players drawn to Griffith by Marika’s celebrity. I am sure that would be the same scenario at Leeton. Maybe those Fijian guys who have moved to Leeton call it home now. Still a bit disappointing that so few other potential locals have joined to bolster the club.

I reckon there is more to this than just Leeton. Player number in organised sport are symptomatic of a generation not wanting to get involved. Kids want flash phones and spending money and instead of sporting on weekends are working in greater numbers.

It’s a really hard thing to attract people to want to play sport currently and I don’t think it’s just rugby and it’s not just in the Riverina.

Canberra’s rugby league premier comp lost all bar 3 under 18s sides for this season.

I don’t have an answer here, just offering an opinion

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Alright, we've all had enough of a whinge for the moment, let's look at some positives in the local scene...

AON Sponsor for the Women's Competition (3x years I believe), Rep Program is progressing with the Capital Cup and a potential tour (TBC), even matches being played regularly and an even competition.

I reckon the MOTR for this weekend will be the clash between Albury and Waratahs in Albury. Unfortunately for @Reasoning, the referee has trained at Conolly Park previously - so will likely be linked to the glamour club despite not ever having played footy in the district.

Other notable matches will be the City v Tumut hitout, I think we're getting to the point now where we should be seeing some Finals Previews and getting a feel for the Top 4. City have every opportunity to gain some points here. Tumut are valiantly limping along at this stage of the competition, but need some wins on the board if they're any chance of playing finals football.

I caught up with some of the Griffith Blacks on Saturday night and I was impressed with their attitude to the game, it'll be interesting to see what comes of the Battle of the MIA this weekend. I believe Mick McTaggart and the waggawagga.tv crew will be calling in to Bertoldo's Bakery before covering this game live and unscripted this weekend.

I must also take this opportunity to congratulate Mick on another cracking call, he must certainly have earnt some overtime money calling the Ag v Albury match on Saturday which was a cliff hanger to the end!!

It was also pleasing to see bench players having a genuine impact in that match, #20 "Lukey" has some great potential as a bench player later in the season. Who are the bolters you guys are seeing in 2nd Grade who can have an impact in the later stages of a 1st Grade match?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Good points here Mauler. Seems like AFL are making inroads into NSW. Maybe we should look at their recruitment programs. Appreciate a good performance from a referee. Great performance from Sam live stream on Saturday.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Good points here Mauler. Seems like AFL are making inroads into NSW. Maybe we should look at their recruitment programs. Appreciate a good performance from a referee. Great performance from Sam live stream on Saturday.

You’re not wrong mate. Auskick is the best junior sport in the country. Makes a huge difference.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The penalty count favoured Griffith on Saturday and they were perhaps lucky to win. Waratahs need a goal kicker, surely. The ref at Beres Elwood on Saturday might be under a bit of scrutiny. The 3 ‘should have gone to spec savers’ Waratah spectators should stand at different angles to the play (from each other) in case more stat decs are required.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
put the rent on Waratahs knocking off Wagga Ag this Saturday at the Uni and doing it very convincingly
Uni holidays are on and the only Training session the team will have is tomorrow night
I'll presume this will be the Wagga TV Streaming match although things are pretty quiet on the SIRU Website and Facebook page

Ag College playing Waratahs for the COL cup this weekend, remembering Andy Stanham. Will be plenty of emotion out at the uni that I feel will compensate holidays attendance.

I reckon that the Facebook page is pretty active really. Every Thursday we are advised who’s playing the match of the round. Good to see a mid season ladder update on the Facebook page today also.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Looks like Siru FB page reacted to your prompting Whistle. God give Aggies strength tomorrow. Leeton might struggle for the remainder of the season now and Steamers are on the way up. Tumut v CSU - hope Reddies can keep it under 50. City can be proud of their improvement this year. Blacks real moment of truth.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
If Waratahs are in a position where it’s their comp to lose Whistle it should be a procession for them to go through undefeated for the remainder of the 2nd half of the draw given Aggies and Steamers are out of the road. Could Blacks be a thorn in their side in a couple of weeks time given we shook them up in the 1st half of the draw and we now have Sy Ahomoana and 2 new Fijian imports - as well Chris Latu.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good calls there @WhistleHappy. The two key matchups are Albury v Griffith and Tumut v Ag College, I'll be keen to see what happens with those two games for sure.

I watched CSU go round against Ag College recently and while the result went Aggies way, Reddies never took a backward step and controlled the game for periods of that match.

I expect to see Aggies go back into their shells for a few rounds as some key players start to return from injury before they come good again later in the season. Tumut seem to be in that "do or die" space at the moment, early season injuries have hurt them big time. I reckon the Albury v Griffith game will give the best indication of what the finals will look like for these teams, many punters are calling both teams the dark horse of 2019, let's see what this game brings!!