• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any word on how the Great Ditch of Connolly (aka Connolly 4 ) is progressing ? I am assuming that it will not be in use this year and given the glacial nature of the work there probably not next year !

Will I see it in my rugby life time ???

Glacial is being too kind, at least climate change has the glacier's moving...

I think there is little doubt that it will get done, the question will be when and in what state. I'd be surprised if the pitch itself is in any condition to play on next year, let alone lights, grandstand, shedding, spectator areas, canteen etc etc.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Just posting some info regarding the Rebels v Brumbies trial on the 23rd of Jan.

There are a couple of good functions around that time as well.

The referee/coaching clinic includes a dinner on the Wednesday night with the opportunity to mingle with players from both teams. Rumour has it, there may be a lordly presence at the Thursday morning coaching session.

The sportsmans lunch is shaping up as good fun. Very limited tables for this one, half the tables have already gone.

Feel free to share this stuff amongst your networks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6ZPggSlMba/?igshid=

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6KBtrkFpx6/?igshid=femmrcu3z8ke

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6zhjeAlSqr/?igshid=6jx001uljfbf

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
The scheduling is unfortunate, so we have tried to give everyone (in particular with SIRU) as much heads up as possible.

The games are hosted solely by the Albury Steamers, so we have taken on a fair bit of risk.

We are looking to rattle the tins and auction a couple of items, in particular to support a few of the local RFS/CFA brigades. We are also offering free entry to RFS and CFA members with a couple of drinks thrown in.

The games are at Greenfield Park in Albury. Currently the greenest piece of turf within 100km.

The 2 games are between the 37 man squads of both Brumbies and Rebels. The coaches didn’t want to call the earlier game a Seconds game, I think they wanted to keep their options open.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Well done Steamers for hosting such an event and also supporting the bushfire situation. When you say a lordly presence Kartman I’ll hazard a guess and say you guys might have invited Pastor Izzy along to your Thursday coaching session.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done Steamers for hosting such an event and also supporting the bushfire situation. When you say a lordly presence Kartman I’ll hazard a guess and say you guys might have invited Pastor Izzy along to your Thursday coaching session.

No! More like one of Australias more revered coaches. Particularly in Canberra

Reasoning

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I can see and I have only been in the zone for a few years now, the word from a few people I have spoken to within the rugby community is that the last community rugby manager missed the writing on the wall and wasn't happy to work with those senior clubs in north of the zone that only had 1 team so that had a look to see what else was out there and NSW welcomed them with open arms. Is there any truth to that?

As per the breakdown of numbers I posted, this was a simple email to Jack in the SIRU Rugby Office and he sent them through to me. I have asked for a break down of numbers further and he is working on it for me but is now on leave.

Any luck with the breakdown of those numbers yet - I presume Jack is back from Leave

Wouldn't mind if you could also find out when the 2020 SIRU Draw will be available and if a new DO has been appointed yet

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any luck with the breakdown of those numbers yet - I presume Jack is back from Leave

Wouldn't mind if you could also find out when the 2020 SIRU Draw will be available and if a new DO has been appointed yet

I believe the draw was being discussed by he Board on Monday evening.

No details on DO status at present, from memory applications were still open til early January. Given timelines for reviews, interviews and then someone giving notice at their current employer etc etc - it's likely that the role would not be filled until mid-late February.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
The crowd was about what we expected, but under what we hoped for. Thursday, Fires, School Holidays etc all made it a hard sell. I wouldn’t have counted more than 10 players/members from other SIRU clubs. Despite that it was still a great day and the two teams put on a real show.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Brumbies are bringing two Super W trials to Wagga this weekend.

Geez, it's a shame that these games don't get the promotion that they deserve. Former Wagga product Jane Garraway has been named as the Brumbies Vice-Captain, Harriet Elleman (former SIRU Board Member and now CSU stalwart...), Biola Dawe (ex CSU), Claudia Obst (ex CSU), Michelle Perry (ex Tumut), Remi Wilton (ex Leeton), Sammie Wood (ex Wagga City?).

So much local talent making the grade here, many of whom have done so from Wagga and there's really not much media about it.

Well done to all who have gained selection here, good luck in the trial and for the rest of the season!!

https://www.facebook.com/ClubRugbyACTSNSW/photos/a.287087944961765/1060826280921257/?type=3&theater

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I see a new DO has been appointed. All the best to her and the uphill battle rugby has at the moment .

I'll actually contradict myself there for a moment. My observation is that local , community rugby is in reasonable shape all things considered. Yes there is lots of things that could be better. Grounds, referees , junior numbers and media presence all could be better. We have seen great growth in the womens game, and thats a massive positive.
The health of the professional game (well above us) on the other hand is of great concern. And the performance of some of those professional sides is inept to be blunt. Its these inept efforts that the Murdoch media leap upon to tell us that rugby is dying in this country. My thoughts are that the best thing rugby can do is get off fox. Even if they get on 10 they can get free to air coverage. And ditch the silly nick names. People are tribal in nature, give them something they can connect with!

Its a rant I know , but I am sick of seeing our game being kicked around by the media. Our game is alive and well (well sort of) and deserves positive coverage !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The entry of Hay in the Comp only makes the severe Referee shortage in the zone harder to manage and the word is most of 2nd Grade, Womens & 3rd Grade will be CTA - Clubs to Appoint games

While the local referee association will be on hand to help out where possible, there is no significant growth in referee numbers that I'm aware of and the reality is that it can take 3-5 years to mould a prospect into a good referee.

I can see that 2020 might see CTA appointments for 1st Grade. I reckon the Deni/Hay games will be reasonably well covered, however the Griffith/Leeton and Albury/Tumut home games will be where the crunch will come. It all depends on availability and the draw is important in who can be where.

I do hear that a handy referee from another competition has moved to the area, also our new DO (welcome aboard) appears to have an interest in refereeing. I did also hear some words last year about another player coming on board to referee in 2020, Hopefully these guys all come on board and it can set the scene for a new wave of referees across the zone.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I have noticed in past years Reasoning that Hay sporting clubs have supported each other with players. The problem they may find in 2020 is that Hay Magpies Rugby League play 10 of their 16 rounds on Saturdays. I think their AFL comp is played on Saturday as well. As you say Reasoning good luck to the Cutters but given they ran 3rd in 3rds last year and seemed to struggle with numbers a bit towards the end of the season - you have to wonder about the wisdom of the club itself wanting to be in 1sts and why SIRU accepted the nomination.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There can be no excuses from the 'Cutters - they wanted to be with the 'Big Boys' and they got what they wanted but surely SIRU will be watching their early performances very closely
The actually received a very friendly Draw from SIRU with 2 home games to start the season and then an away game in Wagga against the Reddies who didnt win a match last year
Maybe they have some Imports coming to the Club which we don't know about yet

What would be the outcome of such reviews? I doubt that there would be much that SIRU could or would be able to do. The Board approved Hay to play in the main competition, I reckon it's just about letting them roll on now.

Hopefully, there was some solid discussion, maybe even a request for some player details or a business plan required from both Hay and Deni to show how their season is going to operate?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I'm not sure what a review would actually accomplish once the shouting has started ? I think Hay is going to have a tough year but its really easy to say that in the safety of February. They could suprise us all and be super competitive. Either way we shouldnt be judgemental at this point in time.

From what i gather this was all about their womens rugby. SIRU was quite adamant that you have to field Mens 1st grade in order to play womens 10's in SIRU. Effectively that has forced Hays hand as such.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Fair Calls Sam & Bubba - but let's just say Deni want to enter a Women's Team next year - that means they automatically go into 1st Grade
I don't know whether by just wanting to have a Women's Team in the SIRU Comp automatically qualifies a Club to play 1st Grade
The word around the traps is that more "Cutlets" - (Womens players) are turning up to Training than 'Cutters (The Men)

I think these sort of scenarios are part of why having more teams (or options) in the competition is important. Deni have a strong club with arguably more supporters than Hay, maybe they will be the 1st Grade side in 2021?

I suppose that over the years there have been a number of iterations of the competition, the decision has been made now. Let's see how it rolls I guess?

I heard that there are two reasonably handy players from Waratahs heading west to play footy this season.

Also two from Waratahs off to Booroowa, Aggies lose a prop to Cowra and a 5/8 to Cootamundra. The big ins seem to be at CSU this season.