• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spirits thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you like peaty stuff, go for a Lagavulin or a Laphroig. (not for the faint hearted)

If you like a bit smoother, try for a Glenmorangie.

Reactions: BPC

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If you like peaty stuff, go for a Lagavulin or a Laphroig. (not for the faint hearted)

I do like it smoother. Have a bottle of Glenmorangie 18yo in the cupboard. A great drink.

Have shared a bottle of Lagavulin and i enjoyed it more than most of the peatier drinks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oban 14 Year Old Scotch is a good one.
84913_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832057413.jpg

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_84913/

Should be around $80. My clan originally hails from Oban so I'm a fan!

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I bought a bottle of Laphroig to replace the diminishing Talisker and cracked the seal during last Saturday's win over the Boks.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Was fortunate to be present at a single malt tasting some years ago when I worked in the industry - Auchentoshan was and still is my favourite - now live in very close proximity to a single malt bar that has a comprehensive range of my favourite label :)
My Cantonese-until-recently-non-drinking gf has succomed to the charms of Gentleman Jack - I wish I had never introduced them :(

This is such a delayed response from me, but I'm glad to see someone else enjoys a lowland malt. They don't anywhere near the respect they deserve.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is such a delayed response from me, but I'm glad to see someone else enjoys a lowland malt. They don't anywhere near the respect they deserve.
I might have to investigate, any you'd like to recommend?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I might have to investigate, any you'd like to recommend?

Firstly mate, this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

Lowland malts are much lighter and more delicate than most others, and unpeated. The two distilleries we can get easily at our end of the world are glenkinchie and auchentoshan, my favourite is probably the auchentoshan three wood. It's stored in three separate casks, one ex-bourbon and two ex-sherry (I thought they were all ex-sherry until I looked it up just now) so you get pretty lasting tastes of oak and sherry and fruit, particularly as it's not drowned out by smoke.

It's not for everyone, because so many people get hung up on the big smokey Islay malts, but I think it's got a lot to offer as an easy drinking scotch - particularly if it's accompanying other big flavours (smokey meat, cigars etc.)

I can't recall if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Dalwhinnie 15 is also a great complex dram. Highland, but glorious.

Have your tequila investigations got any further? I don't drink it myself except in morning-after-regret suicide shot form, but would be interested to know what is considered good.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
my favourite is probably the auchentoshan three wood.

Had this for the first time last month. Loved it. I love whiskey with big flavours which will usually lead you to Islay but this was a great change up. Your tasting notes are pretty spot on too I'll just add that I loved the colour, a rich dark brown. They are really letting you know that its all about the wood.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
I should just add that you can expect almost every whiskey to have spent the majority of its life in a ex bourbon cask (there cheap and if there's one thing a Scotsman loves more than whiskey...). When you see a sherry cask it will have been 'finished' for the last 1 - 2 years in the sherry cask.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Any self-respecting Scotsman likes whisky, ant, wouldn't be seen dead imibibing that Irish, or American, variant.

Those of you who enjoy good spirits should visit Valley Cellars in Chisholm ACT when you're in that part of the world. Most good bottleos concentrate on a comprehensive range of wines (best margins) but this one has an outstanding range of spirits. The owner likes 'em, 'nuff said. They've got Tasmanian whiskies I've never heard of, and various other boutique gins, brandies, etc from obscure Australian producers. But their major strength would have to be the range of Scottish malt whiskies they stock, unparallelled in my travels.

Valley Cellars, 64 Halley Street, Chisholm in Canberra's deep south, phone 02 6292 5713.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry Lindommer didn't mean to imply a Scotsman would drink bourbon. Perhaps this joke will help reinforce the Scottish stereotype I was alluding too.

And I'm no Irvine Welsh so excuse my accent. The last bits only necessary if you find yourself drunkenly telling this joke to a bunch of Scots who don't appreciate being called cheapskates.
On the day that god was handing out floral emblems the chieftain of the Scots got there a little late as he'd been drinking whisky at the pub. There wasn't to much choice left.

Chief: What's that in the corner?

God: What that thorny weed? its a thistle. I was going to through it out. You can have it for free.

Chief: For FREE you say, I'll take it!

And so Scotland game to be, a land and people as resilient, prickly and starkly beautiful as the thistle they come form.

The last bits only necessary if you find yourself drunkenly telling this joke in a room full of Scots who don't appreciate being called cheapskates.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Firstly mate, this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

Lowland malts are much lighter and more delicate than most others, and unpeated. The two distilleries we can get easily at our end of the world are glenkinchie and auchentoshan, my favourite is probably the auchentoshan three wood. It's stored in three separate casks, one ex-bourbon and two ex-sherry (I thought they were all ex-sherry until I looked it up just now) so you get pretty lasting tastes of oak and sherry and fruit, particularly as it's not drowned out by smoke.

It's not for everyone, because so many people get hung up on the big smokey Islay malts, but I think it's got a lot to offer as an easy drinking scotch - particularly if it's accompanying other big flavours (smokey meat, cigars etc.)

I can't recall if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Dalwhinnie 15 is also a great complex dram. Highland, but glorious.

Have your tequila investigations got any further? I don't drink it myself except in morning-after-regret suicide shot form, but would be interested to know what is considered good.
Picked up some Auchentoshan 3-wood yesterday. A cursory sip last night was very promising.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Another great scotch bottle shop is the Oak Barrel on Elizabeth Street, Sydney. It's great for everything, actually, but one of the two blokes running it likes his whisky (Ben, I think).

They run monthly tastings - usually on a range of expressions from a particular distillery. This month it's a general affair, with Benriach, Aberlour and Bruichladdich (the last of which is good for anyone looking for an Islay malt outside of the big three). The other two are respected Speysides.

Event calendar can be found here:

http://www.oakbarrel.com.au/events?month=nov&yr=2012

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was remarkably sanguine watching the Aus v Eng match. It may have been due to my new friend.
lagavulin-16.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Picked up some Auchentoshan 3-wood yesterday. A cursory sip last night was very promising.

I was an Islay "in your face, I'm in charge of your taste buds" peat based malt man from a long way back.

I have the sad duty to report the recent demise of 700 ml bottle of Auchentoshan Three wood. This is not a peat based malt from Islay. I lay the blame fairly at the feet of cyclopath and the reference post,

Plenty of subtle and smooth flavours from the various woods it has been matured in.

But for this thread, I wouldn't have given it a second look at the Bottle-O. Tough enough trying to spell the name.

It is now getting a second purchase.

On the negative side, I am disappointed how fast this whisky evaporates.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was an Islay "in your face, I'm in charge of your taste buds" peat based malt man from a long way back.

I have the sad duty to report the recent demise of 700 ml bottle of Auchentoshan Three wood. This is not a peat based malt from Islay. I lay the blame fairly at the feet of cyclopath and the reference post,

Plenty of subtle and smooth flavours from the various woods it has been matured in.

But for this thread, I wouldn't have given it a second look at the Bottle-O. Tough enough trying to spell the name.

It is now getting a second purchase.

On the negative side, I am disappointed how fast this whisky evaporates.
Try saying it after a few!!
And you're welcome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.