• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke NH Autumn Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lindommer said:
Nathan Hines is an Aussie who got away.

Yes, which is why he would be a good one to target as a marquee player. He is probably 32 now but still playing well. He was messed around a little at Manly, in and out of 1sts and switched between lock and no. 8.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So the Bokke win the second one, only just and only the Poms left. This one maybe just one game to far for our lot by the looks of it but thanks to the the Wallabies, making sure the Poms will go in this one without confidense and the fact that the Bokke havent perform near their potential, a lot of plusse & minusse and have left all our Springbok supporters with not much belief in our team.

Well myself like it this way and glad to see Jannie Doep going. If we can play the ref like we did in the Scots 2nd half and be able to get the ball through some phases no reason why we cant win this one. Time for big time players like Bakkies, Matfield & specially Habana to pack out their BMT and play like they should.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springboks to play the Poms
15 Conrad Jantjes, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Adi Jacobs, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Danie Rossouw, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 John Smit (c), 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Brian Mujati, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Heinrich Brussow, 21 Frans Steyn, 22 Jaque Fourie.

A great move gettin Pakslae in 7. He'll clean out the rucks more then Juan and will do this in tandem with Bakkies. Will give Schalk more freedom to be first at breakdowns. Also good to see Brussouw on the bench. Hope he'll get a crack. Also with Jannie Doep back our scrums will be much better. Pretty sad that Vuurhoutjie wont be ready for this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Vuurhoutjie? Wie is dit, Oom? Sounds like he's on fire... ;)
Sorry my mistake , vuurhoutjie = matchie = Fourie du Preez. Usually those that "steek" the most get that nick. FdP look like the shy type but you never know, always watch out for the silent type. "Stille waters, diepe grond"

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sheridan out, maybe Mujatsi and back come CJ van der Linde. For some reason I have a good feeling about this test. Dont know much about the Owens ref, only know a poofball player with that surname but if the Bokke can keep it up at ruck and scrum time, hopefull they will show some real form in the backs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great way for the Bokke to end their tour on a high giving the Poms a 42-6 hiding. We did it the Danie Craven way by some bashing at BIG on defense and taking our changes when they comes. Some great backline tries and AD score show some nice touches. Well a year back and we never thought our backs can play like this. So hats of to Snor for bringing this back to our game.My MOTM was Pakslae!

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
NTA said:
Jeez Virg - what kind of hammering are your blokes going to hand out this weekend :eek:

Nah i reckon the Boks havent done us any favours.
From what ive read Eng didnt always play that badly, just the boks were too good.
But we still should be 15-20 points ahead...hopefully....and without conceding a try. Big goal to keep our tryline in tact in the UK (test matches wise)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I dont know about this one. The Bokke usually is a dangerous them when no one expect them to win but I dont know if the Poms will have that in them. They sure have a self confident problem after this one but dont discount them at all. We were lucky a few times for them not scoring but hell I thought Sackey turned into a pile of shite after Beast connected him in the opening spell. You could sense in their eyes towards the end that they wont score and was watching more a green steriod brute one then the tryline.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PaarlBok,

Have just watched the game and I bet you had a grin from ear to ear when you were watching it.

I thought the Boks were terrific and looked like the world champions for a change. They had played well in Dunedin and against us in JHB when they smacked our arses, but their top performances were few this year.

Commentator Stuart Barnes said that Ricky Januarie was the MOTM, and he had a great game, but I thought that Bakkies was even better. When he ran across the park to get Armitage into touch I got goosebumps that a big unit like that could move so fast.

I think that Pienaar is settling in well to the flyhalf spot. Like a few talented players he has been disadvantaged by his versatility and has never been able to play in one position for any length of time. I think he should suggest to his CC and S14 coaches that he should play there all the time. It will be good for him and good for the Boks as there not a lot of flyhalf candidates in the country - or out of it.

Pienaar didn't have a great S14 IIRR and neither did JP - but didn't JP look good against England? Both have found their confidence. On the other hand Spies didn't do a lot on the tour and he was outplayed by the Wales 8.

Weren't England bloody awful? I thought Oz did well against England but the Boks were so brutal and clinical that it made our effort look average.

Geez the Poms have a bloody long way to get back to where they were when they made their comeback in the RWC. Of course like other nations they don't have most of those RWC players. The surprise is that, whereas other top nations, like the 3N teams, have done pretty well with inexperienced replacements, the Poms, with a (relatively) huge number of professionals to pick from, have not.

As I said in another post before our game with them: they don't have the hard men they used to have and they don't have enough leaders within their team.

But they have too many players and too much money behind them to be down for too long. We should enjoy it now.

The Poms shouldn't play Cipriani against the Kiwis. They will gobble him up and spit out the bones.

There's a few others who the Blacks will snack on too. Too many of them.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think we have a problem in 10 to pick between Steyn & Pienaar and also the Sharks. Myself think thats the position to lock Steyn into but hell Pienaar took his changes on this tour.

Myself have recieved a lot of flak by keep on supporting Snors effort but credit to him to widen Jake Whites team with some new talent. The players that made the stepup in 2008 are surely guys like Jantjes, AD Jacobs, Pienaar, Januarie , Beast & Bekker. He also likes the widen game and surely no one can say the Bok class of 2008 showed their willingness to score some neat little backline tries.

Think the Poms would have loved to had some of our bench players like Jac Fourie and some of the above mentioned.

We took some time to adjust to the ELVs and were unlucky to got three NH refs on this tour. Against Scotland & Wales we did not adopt and myself felt that the refs also allowed us.

Saturday we played with 14 men for 20 minutes, our capt wasnt allowed to speak to the ref but we surely did our bit at the breakdowns and Schalk his busy like usual. Danie Rossouw my MOTM and was the missing part in our losie. Spies and Juan to much the same type of player and Danie , well his cleanout and brutal work was text book. Would love to see Kankowski in the run on team. Think a Brussouw and Schalk combo with any of Danie,Kankowski , Spies will be the perfect one.

Our negatives for 2008 was our WC hangover and we should have beaten the Wallabies in Perth & Durban and the All Blacks in Cape Town. That three cost us but I am very positive for the Bokke in 2009. We have the Lions here and a much better 3 Nation fixture list.

Obvious for myself that win in Dunedin the highlight and up there above the 2 WC wins and saturdays one and the Joburg demolastion jobs special.

My Bok player of the year is Jean de Villiers by a mile. Not only is myself biased but he sure made a huge differense to both province and country.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Was watching some after match interviews and obvious Snor delighted with the win but according to him the Bokke can still do better then this.

The one thing that catch my eye on saturday and not being mentioned I am pretty sure that was the first test we had a all black frontrow and they look like scrumming better then the previous one. Mujatsi played his best one that few minutes and the crowd keep calling him Beast. Was quite surprise with Chilliboy's efforts.

SA have some sad supporters, those that state we wont win last week will state this was the kakkest Pom team in history. Thats just the way it is.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah I noticed the "all black" ;D front row during the game.

Also the crowd did the "Beeeeast" roar once but it was Mujati not Mtawarira.

Agree on JdV being your best player this year, but I don't think that Steyn's best position is at 10, and especially for test matches. He is too much of a "I will do it" player and flyhalves have to be "I will enable you to do it" players.

Status
Not open for further replies.