• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies @ Osfontein 30/9/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KAOPointman

Problem is....if you take Folou from fullback, we loose a dozen tries, 100 tackle busts and 1000ms! So you then have to slot him into centre/wing As he's just too valuable.We would also loose the best guy in the world under the highball at the back!
I think Hunt is the only player with all the kicking, passing, catching, tackling, brains and ticker that can pretty much displace anyone in our backline. His biggest weakness is he often plays possessed to make up for his size a tad.....and thencarries injuries! Maybe DHP could do the same excepting inside centre!

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
You missed my point.
He also quick tapped a pen or free kick (can’t remeber which),
and failed to Kick it out.

I'm not a Foley apologist or anything, but re-watched the game, and the lead up to the Saffa first try saw Foley absolutely cop a knee to the head [unintentionally] and it looked ugly - in fact he looked pretty wobbly straight after if you look closely. He was obviously able to shake it off, but we could have been super close in testing out who his back up would have been.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The only other thing that really caught my eye was the shenanigans from the Boks in their two-wave attacking style.

The forward decoy runners were obstructing our defenders with absolute impunity. Siya Kolisi just shoved TK at one point, and the Boks made a wide break because of it. The Skosan try also came about after some dubious decoy running in midfield.

It's a hard thing to referee, but some of it was so obvious I'm amazed it wasn't picked up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought a lot of our players (probably more than usual) had good to very good games. Realistically you are never going to challenge at altitude in South Africa without doing that but it is pleasing to see more of our players standing up.

I thought Sio, Coleman, Hooper, McMahon and our entire starting backline all had good games or better.

Our scrum standing up to South Africa was also really pleasing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only other thing that really caught my eye was the shenanigans from the Boks in their two-wave attacking style.

The forward decoy runners were obstructing our defenders with absolute impunity. Siya Kolisi just shoved TK at one point, and the Boks made a wide break because of it. The Skosan try also came about after some dubious decoy running in midfield.

It's a hard thing to referee, but some of it was so obvious I'm amazed it wasn't picked up.

I hate how much variance there is in the enforcement of the 'obstruction rule'. Compare the Bok behaviour, the Argentinian infringement on Hanigan the other week to last year. The Savea incident, Ireland match and Foleys non-try against England all spring to mind.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dempsey had one run for four metres with one defender beaten. One pass. Seven tackles with no misses. I don't have any ruck stats but hopefully, forcefan will do this game. But I notice a fair bit of attacking ruck work from him.

G'day Sully Forum broken at the moment so can't post the normal ruck stats. Ruck Involvements were down due to the strategies in place.

We had only 40% Possession & Territory and stood off 63% of D Rucks.

Aussie Rucks as follows:

McMahon - 19 Total (14 Attack/5 Defence) (81 mins);

Hooper - 18T (15A/3D) (81 mins);

Hanigan - 15T (11A/4D) (Low impact) (28 mins only);

Coleman - 14T (12A/2D) (Unusually late arrival and very low impact) (Appears to be carrying injury) (62 mins);

Simmons - 13T (13A/0D) (Late arrivals/low impact) (33 mins);

Dempsey - 13T (10A/3D) (53 mins);

TPN - 11T (6A/5D) (62 mins);

Sio - 11T (8A/3D) (71 mins);

Kepu - 9T (8A/1D) (61 mins);

Rodda - 4T (4A/0D) (Late arrival/v low impact) (48 mins);

Moore - 6T (3A/3D) (Minimal impact) (19 mins);

Front Row back to only about 20% of TRIs.

Best Backs:

Hodge - 10T (8A/3D);

Kuridrani - 9T (8A/1D).

Wallabies played with reasonably strong support of our ball carriers (Av 2.5 players per ruck). However, almost zero pressure on the Boks. This is NOT a winning strategy. Boks won 97% of their rucks; Wallabies 95%. Have yet to collect the Boks rucks data.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks, ForceFan. Looks like Dempsey was a little less busy than I thought. No, I'll change that. He was busy for his 53 minutes and he and Hanigan had 28 ruck involvements between them over the course of the match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
they send Arnold home? If anything sums up Simmons' role it was that kick off he couldn't be stuffed trying to take.

OK, I agree that Simmons spot is questionable.

But let us assume Coleman goes down on Friday and Simmons wasn't over there, would you really think Arnold, Rodda & Tua would be the answer to any question at the moment?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

But let us assume Coleman goes down on Friday and Simmons wasn't over there, would you really think Arnold, Rodda & Tua would be the answer to any question at the moment?

I think Arnold's fine and is pretty effective when he gets his chance: he's way ahead of Simmons - that kick off truly just summed him up. Coleman has done some shocking defensive work close to the ruck - particularly last time against the Saffers in Perth: Kafer, for some reason*, chose not to highlight it. If the upload button was working (scratch that - appearing) I'd happily share the small mashup I did to prove the point. *conflict off interest in that he's in the Cheika Insider's Club so no public criticism

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Copied the below from another poster on the Fern.

AMAZING STATS:

Both the Springboks and the Wallabies have played 103 Rugby Championship matches.

Of those, each side has won 42 matches, lost 57 and drawn 4.

Even more bizarre is that, in all of that time, the Wallabies have conceded 2522 Rugby Championship points to South Africa's 2523.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

AMAZING STATS:

Both the Springboks and the Wallabies have played 103 Rugby Championship matches.

Even more bizarre is that, in all of that time, the Wallabies have conceded 2522 Rugby Championship points to South Africa's 2523.

I remember seeing a similar statistic before the recent test and thinking, "Shame that's gonna change soon" - whoops.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
I just watched the game again, and my main takeaway was how good our defence was.

I have no idea how we held them out in the last 15 minutes, we just kept making hit after hit. Kuridrani made a huge hit which arguably saved a try, and Korobeite was flying around like a madman. The forwards all did their part as well.

I just wonder how differently our season would be viewed if it wasn't for 60 minutes of madness in Sydney...

the bok were on fire too until a full 80 minutes of madness in NZ stunned them

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

AMAZING STATS:

So we are better by 1 point? nice.

Also:

Rodda - 4T (4A/0D) (Late arrival/v low impact) (48 mins);

What the fuck was he doing? having a cup of tea. Jesus.

Edit: if we kicked the Darkness out and invited, say, Scotland we'd have one hell of a competitive competition.

Shame.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

The best lock combination performance of the year so far was Bled II with Arnold and Simmons. Arnold really stepped up for that game

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Yes, most certainly. If Coleman goes down (and there is a suggestion elsewhere that he's carrying an injury), then Arnold is the logical replacement for him. Too bloody early in Rodda's career to make him the go to hard man.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Arnold's fine and is pretty effective when he gets his chance: he's way ahead of Simmons - that kick off truly just summed him up. Coleman has done some shocking defensive work close to the ruck - particularly last time against the Saffers in Perth: Kafer, for some reason*, chose not to highlight it. If the upload button was working (scratch that - appearing) I'd happily share the small mashup I did to prove the point. *conflict off interest in that he's in the Cheika Insider's Club so no public criticism

So you don't factor in experience?

IMHO Rodda and Tua were selected in front of Simmons, with Simmons being the safety call

I would not actually be surprised at all to see Coleman Rodda & Tua being selected for this next test

Status
Not open for further replies.