• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We havent won anything except a bit of pride. Time now to move forward and get the direction for glory in the WC next year.

Awesome to know the Bokke will get together on my stoep @ Stellenbosch and wont play CC rugby. Whats the thoughts on this?

Which young players impressed in the CC and should be tried in the NH tests?

Will Meyer continue on a gameplan which brought him success in the WC?

Contracted

Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Damian de Allende, Jean de Villiers, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, JJ Engelbrecht, Eben Etzebeth, Cornal Hendricks, Francois Hougaard, Siya Kolisi, Patrick Lambie, Willie le Roux, Victor Matfield, Tendai Mtawarira, Coenie Oosthuizen, Jan Serfontein, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe and Duane Vermeulen.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Not to rake over the coals Paarl, but what is happening with quotas? Is it happening or not. I imagine that has the ability to change the whole direction of the Bokke.

From an outsiders point of view, it surely can't happen. It would decimate the pride of a nation.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not to rake over the coals Paarl, but what is happening with quotas? Is it happening or not. I imagine that has the ability to change the whole direction of the Bokke.

From an outsiders point of view, it surely can't happen. It would decimate the pride of a nation.
Look like we'll never get away from that. Watching Oupa playing against the All Blacks makes me thinking hard about this. Its such a lose lose situation because its unfair against the player and he had such a great test. Our government dont see it this way. Onn the postive side I can see the differense to our schoolboy sides. Its getting better by the year.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Contracted

Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Damian de Allende, Jean de Villiers, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, JJ Engelbrecht, Eben Etzebeth, Cornal Hendricks, Francois Hougaard, Siya Kolisi, Patrick Lambie, Willie le Roux, Victor Matfield, Tendai Mtawarira, Coenie Oosthuizen, Jan Serfontein, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe and Duane Vermeulen.

And what about Handre Pollard?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pollard, did he play in many Super 15 games this year, if at all?

If not, I'd keep him in the Currie Cup given his youth for experience.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I thought about writing something on this topic (well the title, not the topic) and it will fit in pretty well here.

There is a worrying trend happening at the moment of many of out top young talent being conically injured. As things stand the following "young" (under twenty five) are either currently on long term injuries or have a history of injuries (or both).

Kirchner, Oosthuizen, Malcorm Marx, Frans Malherbe, Ruan Botha, PS Du Toit, Schickerling, Vermeulen (the other one), Bothma, Arno Botha, Kolisi, Goosen, Small-Smith (I am sure I am forgetting others).

What is going on that we are losing so many players to injury? Some of those list would have been with the springboks right now and others would have been gaining the experience to become really good springboks but for their injuries. Something seems to be wrong with the way we are bringing players through from school level and we are losing significant player stocks because of it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought about writing something on this topic (well the title, not the topic) and it will fit in pretty well here.

There is a worrying trend happening at the moment of many of out top young talent being conically injured. As things stand the following "young" (under twenty five) are either currently on long term injuries or have a history of injuries (or both).

Kirchner, Oosthuizen, Malcorm Marx, Frans Malherbe, Ruan Botha, PS Du Toit, Schickerling, Vermeulen (the other one), Bothma, Arno Botha, Kolisi, Goosen, Small-Smith (I am sure I am forgetting others).

What is going on that we are losing so many players to injury? Some of those list would have been with the springboks right now and others would have been gaining the experience to become really good springboks but for their injuries. Something seems to be wrong with the way we are bringing players through from school level and we are losing significant player stocks because of it.

There's another Vermeulen.. Surely he has some kind of Aussie Grandmother, Dog, Cat or somehow a rathbone so we can get him out here in Oz.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

To much rugby in a year, we need to look at NZ. Contracting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA youngsters from the Lions who impressed in the CC are:
Akker vd Merwe
Akker%20vd%20Merwe%20in%20aksie%20teen%20Valke.JPG

Jaco vd Walt

Jaco_van_der_Walt20.jpg

Stokkies Hanekom
Stokkies-Hanekom-Runs-130803G300.jpg

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'll re-assess after a year or so of the new quota policy (starting after RWC).

What I wonder is whether this contracted Springbok playing group will gather like they do this time each year or if it's a one-off thing prior to the RWC? Surely if SARU can enforce quotas they can permanently enforce this. We can work out who should be contracted later and it should be flexible with short-term (maybe 3 month contracts).

That way you can drop a guy like JJ out of the group and bring in Handre for example, assuming there's a limit of 20 contracted Boks. It won't be central contracting but in my opinion it makes a huge difference. The players are getting some rest and the national setup have some time together which is rare for them.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Young talent from the Sharks:
Thomas du Toit. LH. This laaitie was still in school at Paarl last year. Serious contender to go on tour.

452392684-thomas-du-toit-of-the-cell-c-sharks-looks-gettyimages.jpg

Big strong midfielder, Andre Esterhuizen

Andre%20Esterhuizen_1.jpg

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thomas du Toit is representing the Barbarians against Australia. Age 19 I believe. Impressive for a prop.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomas du Toit is representing the Barbarians against Australia. Age 19 I believe. Impressive for a prop.
Chance is good to be include in the Bok squad. Ja he was Boishaai captain last year. He sure is a powerfull scrummer and handy with ball in hand. Fatty freak if you ask me.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Latest Bok squad
Players invited to Stellenbosch training camp: Boela Abrahams (scrumhalf), Lourens Adriaanse (prop), Willem Alberts (loose forward), Marcell Coetzee (loose forward), Damian de Allende (centre/wing), Lood de Jager (lock), Jean de Villiers (centre), Bismarck du Plessis (hooker), Jannie du Plessis (prop), JJ Engelbrecht (centre/wing), Eben Etzebeth (lock), Lizo Gqoboka (prop), Cornal Hendricks (wing), Francois Hougaard (scrumhalf), Siya Kolisi (loose forward), Patrick Lambie (flyhalf/fullback), Willie le Roux (fullback/wing), Victor Matfield (lock), Bongi Mbonambi (hooker), Teboho “Oupa” Mohoje (loose forward), Tendai Mtawarira (prop), Lwazi Mvovo (wing), Trevor Nyakane (prop), Coenie Oosthuizen (prop), Rudy Paige (scrumhalf), Handré Pollard (flyhalf), Cobus Reinach (scrumhalf), Jan Serfontein (centre), Adriaan Strauss (hooker), Flip van der Merwe (lock), Marcel van der Merwe (prop) and Duane Vermeulen (No 8)

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
If match stats are anything to go by, Mohoje sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of work (not) done, when compared to the other 2 loose forwards over the final 2 games played (1vs Aus 1vs AB)

The fact that SARU are pulling in (black) guys from the 1st division, not even premiere division says all you need to know about whether it will impact our performance.

May be called out as a potential chicken runner here, but although it looks as if it's Aus who are in dire straights, it's really the Boks who are on the clock (in terms of being competitive more or less at the level we are at now).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The fact that SARU are pulling in (black) guys from the 1st division, not even premiere division says all you need to know about whether it will impact our performance.
So you think players from the 1st division cant play for the Springboks?

Status
Not open for further replies.