• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs All Blacks @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kick Off 17h00. Saturday 4 October 2014

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10441407_10202961130250673_4166271406663880871_n.jpg?oh=ec162329b71f459afa40a9667bcc2560&oe=54C1E807&__gda__=1421261432_9d9c3c15ab2e1cdbf3a466f08e90be94

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like the humour, but the sentiment being illustrated here just doesn't happen any more. The ABs don't go out to win the fight, they rely on their superior abilities to play the game to win.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like the humour, but the sentiment being illustrated here just doesn't happen any more. The ABs don't go out to win the fight, they rely on their superior abilities to play the game to win.
No, they don't go out to win the fight. Nor do the Boks. The games are always insanely physical regardless and usually of a quality that supercedes all other games. If you look at the picture in light of that, the challenge presented by both sides to one another and the respect between them then it's the perfect picture.

The Boks' coaching staff have mentioned something around 440 tackles being made at Newlands between the two sides. Some cite Australia to have made 252 tackles, other 270 odd and some even as high as 288.

If we as SA take that they made 250 tackles it still means we made 190 tackles which is a lot also. It's one thing to outlast Australia at Newlands. Doing so against a significantly fresher All Blacks side at altitude is a different beast altogether. So I think before we sing too many praises about the conditioning, which has improved I agree, we need to take the above into consideration.

Second place is virtually guaranteed and there's no way to win the competition for us anymore so I think winning at all costs must be the only mindset here. Our kicking is lacking significantly and I feel this is the only facet of play where the Springboks have regressed since HM took over. The All Blacks on the other hand have kept at it since they realised how helpful a good kicking game is.

I think we will lose this game in the back row, no one really to make any turnovers or provide massive go-forward such as Duane, Louw, Alberts and also because the All Blacks have a superior kicking game. The fitness may pan out 50/50 ish.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Vermeulen could be out, now that will be a massive blow for the Bokke if it turns out to be the case.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dont see much diff in coming 2nd or 3rd in some "Rugby Championship". No one remmebers that rubbish.In fact, no one really remmebers who wins these stupid Quad/Tri Nations things anyway.

if its going to be 6 tests a year, would far rather they have a 3 game home and away test series, the 4 countries playing each other 2 of every 3 years, eg, NZ play 3 tests vs Aus in Aus then 3 at home vs Arg. Thats one year.

Next year 3 away vs Bokke and 3 at home vs Aus. and so on. 2 tours a year, imagine that. Instead of all this 1 billion flight miles rubbish.

Would make for a far more memorable historical significance iHomo

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
if its going to be 6 tests a year, would far rather they have a 3 game home and away test series, the 4 countries playing each other 2 of every 3 years, eg, NZ play 3 tests vs Aus in Aus then 3 at home vs Arg. Thats one year.

Next year 3 away vs Bokke and 3 at home vs Aus. and so on. 2 tours a year, imagine that.

It would certainly be historically significant because the year Australia hosts Argentina and travels to South Africa would be the final year the ARU was solvent

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haha, clealry I havent thought through the finnacial aspects of my briliant plan
It would certainly be historically significant because the year Australia hosts Argentina and travels to South Africa would be the final year the ARU was solvent
hehe, SURELY blokes like Quade and Gits and Kurtley and Brand O'Conner would play for the honour of the jersey for a year?

"Who's with me?"

*chair scrapes*

*cricket chirps*

*O'Conner pulls out cellphone*

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I dont see much diff in coming 2nd or 3rd in some "Rugby Championship". No one remmebers that rubbish.In fact, no one really remmebers who wins these stupid Quad/Tri Nations things anyway.

Next year 3 away vs Bokke and 3 at home vs Aus. and so on. 2 tours a year, imagine that. Instead of all this 1 billion flight miles rubbish.

Would make for a far more memorable historical significance iHomo

And bigger squads would undoubtedly be put together for the tours allowing some development players to be included.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only in Rugby:

image.jpg

"RESPECTFUL RIVALRY: Today's All Blacks flank motor neuron disease suffering Springboks great Joost van der Westhuizen in Johannesburg."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10565630/All-Blacks-pause-to-flank-old-warrior-foe

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^In that article, NZ Rugby Team Manager Darren Shand says "It's the right thing to do."

How much better would the World be it this was the mantra that was universally adopted?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Joos cant speak these days, only making noises and use his Boet to translate his noises. Doing some great work with this ice bucket raising funds. awesome stuff from the All Blacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.