• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Predictions 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Winner - Tahs

Runner-up - Blues

Aus Conference

1. Waratahs
2. Brumbies
3. Rebels
4. Reds
5. Force

Top XV

1. Chiefs
2. Waratahs
3. Sharks
4. Blues
5. Brumbies
6. Cheetahs
7. Stormers
8.Hurricanes
9. Rebels
10. Reds
11. Crusaders
12. Bulls
13. Force
14. Highlanders
15. Lions

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Winner - Tahs

Runner-up - Blues

Aus Conference

1. Waratahs
2. Brumbies
3. Rebels
4. Reds
5. Force

Top XV

1. Chiefs
2. Waratahs
3. Sharks
4. Blues
5. Brumbies
6. Cheetahs
7. Stormers
8.Hurricanes
9. Rebels
10. Reds
11. Crusaders
12. Bulls
13. Force
14. Highlanders
15. Lions

Somehow I don't think the Crusaders will come in at 11th. My shot at it would be:
  1. Sharks
  2. Waratahs
  3. Chiefs
  4. Crusaders
  5. Brumbies
  6. Reds
  7. Stormers
  8. Rebels
  9. Cheetahs
  10. Force
  11. Hurricanes
  12. Blues
  13. Bulls
  14. Highlanders
  15. Lions
I know the Rebels and Force will struggle to get that high because they have to play eight matches against the other Australian teams. My reasoning for the Sharks topping the table is they play in what this year is the weakest conference. I would not be surprised to see the Stormers and Reds swapping positions, though the Stormers have the road trip from hell this year. If they could just score a few 4-try bonus points they are a very good chance.

One caveat on this forecast: In every rugby tipping contest I have ever entered I have usually ended up in the bottom half of the table.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok before season gets underway, is anyone prepared to give some bold predictions on who will do well or even win??
Prepared to put neck on block a little bit,knowing this thread will be buried by end of season I will say;
SA conference--- Sharks, always a good team and suspect they go pretty good with JW
Aus---- Somehow suspect Tahs may get this one, good team and like the cut of Chaika's jib, think the Foley and Beale combo (if it happens ) maybe what they have missed for a couple of years--playmakers!!
NZ-- Hard to go past Chiefs, got a lot of depth in their players, and somehow think Blues may push C'saders for a place in semis, not fussed about BJ at 10, but they could have a half decent pack with very good loosies, and a backline loaded with potential.
Sorry Hawko ,had just started another thread without checking so just cut and pasted my post to yours!!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Winner - Tahs

Runner-up - Blues

Aus Conference

1. Waratahs
2. Brumbies
3. Rebels
4. Reds
5. Force

Top XV

1. Chiefs
2. Waratahs
3. Sharks
4. Blues
5. Brumbies
6. Cheetahs
7. Stormers
8.Hurricanes
9. Rebels
10. Reds
11. Crusaders
12. Bulls
13. Force
14. Highlanders
15. Lions

How to make yourself popular with Qld fans.;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would add Hawko I woill be VERY surprised if 3 Australian teams make the semis!!

Agree.

The number of teams from the one conference finishing in the top 6 depends largely on the level of competition in their home conference. This year, I see the Rebels especially, and the Force being much more competitive and they both are likely to take the points from the top three teams (I am assuming Brumbies, Tahs and Reds) in some of the local derbies. It is more likely that the top SA teams will fill 2 or 3 spots in the semis because they are more certain of 4 or 5 points each time they play the Lions and probably good points against the Cheetahs/Bulls too.

I see the semis as being Brumbies, Sharks, Chiefs, Stormers, Crusaders, Waratahs with the Cheetahs or Bulls and Blues pushing hard at the Tahs' heels.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Agree.

The number of teams from the one conference finishing in the top 6 depends largely on the level of competition in their home conference. This year, I see the Rebels especially, and the Force being much more competitive and they both are likely to take the points from the top three teams (I am assuming Brumbies, Tahs and Reds) in some of the local derbies. It is more likely that the top SA teams will fill 2 or 3 spots in the semis because they are more certain of 4 or 5 points each time they play the Lions and probably good points against the Cheetahs/Bulls too.

I see the semis as being Brumbies, Sharks, Chiefs, Stormers, Crusaders, Waratahs with the Cheetahs or Bulls and Blues pushing hard at the Tahs' heels.

The Australian conference has bee the weakest for the last couple of years but that still hasn't seen the Aus teams get more team into the finals. Usually, the conference derbies are tight, tough affairs with the winners not always the expected team.

I don't think the 'strength' of a conference has a lot to do with who makes the semis at all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Australian conference has bee the weakest for the last couple of years but that still hasn't seen the Aus teams get more team into the finals. Usually, the conference derbies are tight, tough affairs with the winners not always the expected team.

I don't think the 'strength' of a conference has a lot to do with who makes the semis at all.

In the past the weakness of the Aus conference was precisely the reason it was a struggle to get two teams into the finals. While the stronger teams won most of the local derbies, in the dark years we all lost too often to the NZ and Saffa teams. There was a time for example that the top Aussie team filled third spot in the finals but accumulated less points than the other conference teams who finished in the 4 - 6 positions.

The importance of the local derbies to the finishing position on the table could be a topic for further discussion.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm gonna be brave and go it alone in predicting the Reds will finish above the Rebels
070780f110eb1f68613caac848906799_zps2e77c984.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. Chiefs
2. Waratahs
3. Sharks
4. Brumbies
5. Cheetahs
6. Crusaders
7. Reds
8. Stormers
9. Blues
10. Highlanders
11. Hurricanes
12. Rebels
13. Force
14. Bulls
15. Lions

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
My predictions are

1. Sharks
2. Chiefs
3. Brumbies
4. Crusaders
5. Stormers
6. Waratahs
7. Blues
8. Reds
9. Cheetahs
10. Rebels
11. Highlanders
12. Hurricanes
13. Bulls
14. Force
15. Lions

I think our conference looking quite competitive this year is going to be bad for our top teams and it might even result in only one team making the 6. The Sharks look very strong I'd pick them to pip the Chiefs for top spot, and I think the Brumbies, while not as exciting a story this year as the 'tahs, and with a harder draw, should still be favorites from the Oz conference.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
1.Chiefs
2. Sharks
3. Waratahs
4. Brumbies
5. Crusaders
6. Stormers
7. Blues
8. Cheetahs
9. Reds
10. Hurricanes
11. Force
12. Bulls
13. Highlanders
14. Rebels
15. Lions

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Lions
2. Hurricanes
3. Blues
4. Bulls
5. Force
6. Highlanders
7. Reds
8. Rebels

9. Stormers
10. Crusaders
11. Waratahs
12. Cheetahs
13. Sharks
14. Brumbies
15. Chiefs

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Bairdy, I think I know what you've done there!

After the past 7 days results I think I might have overrated the a blues and a Cheetahs. To make things simple, I'm just straight swapping Hurricanes and Blues and a cheetahs with the Bulls. That puts the Bulls a position higher than I think they'll go this year, but only just, and makes cut&paste a lot easier.

-- Actually it doesn't make cut&paste any easier, I can't on an iPad. But just take it that they are my new, prevoiently accurate predictions.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok before season gets underway, is anyone prepared to give some bold predictions on who will do well or even win??
Prepared to put neck on block a little bit,knowing this thread will be buried by end of season I will say;
SA conference--- Sharks, always a good team and suspect they go pretty good with JW
Aus---- Somehow suspect Tahs may get this one, good team and like the cut of Chaika's jib, think the Foley and Beale combo (if it happens ) maybe what they have missed for a couple of years--playmakers!!
NZ-- Hard to go past Chiefs, got a lot of depth in their players, and somehow think Blues may push C'saders for a place in semis, not fussed about BJ at 10, but they could have a half decent pack with very good loosies, and a backline loaded with potential.
Sorry Hawko ,had just started another thread without checking so just cut and pasted my post to yours!!

Could be another long season for 'canes fans if the flogging they got from the Crusaders in our old home town is anything to go by. Interesting that when McCaw came on it was for George Whitelock & he played 40 at 6: been a fan of him swapping scrum sides for a while, hope TB gives it a try for at least the first 4 rounds & that SH is watching!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I love the Tah love but Brumbies have as a good a pack and backline. To'omua Foley equal Leo best inside centre. Kuridrani behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sometimes. I would take Speight and To'omua over the tahs wingers. Izzy is better but Moggs the next best.

Oh and Whites better the Phipps. .

But hey im a bias brumbie.. like Link..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I love the Tah love but Brumbies have as a good a pack and backline. To'omua Foley equal Leo best inside centre. Kuridrani behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sometimes. I would take Speight and To'omua over the tahs wingers. Izzy is better but Moggs the next best.

Oh and Whites better the Phipps. .

But hey im a bias brumbie.. like Link..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

In terms of overall results, I suspect that the forwards for both teams will have a much bigger influence over the results, especially for the derbies. The Brumby pack on paper looks stronger but I am forecasting the Tah pack will go better this year than last on the back of good recruiting (Potgeiter, Latu) and better pack technique (what Cheik has been concentrating on this preseason).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In terms of overall results, I suspect that the forwards for both teams will have a much bigger influence over the results, especially for the derbies. The Brumby pack on paper looks stronger but I am forecasting the Tah pack will go better this year than last on the back of good recruiting (Potgeiter, Latu) and better pack technique (what Cheik has been concentrating on this preseason).

This is something I can agree with, who's forwards will win the battle, will most likely win the war and we have Gandalf. YOU SHALL NOT PASS !!

Status
Not open for further replies.