• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Predictions 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
1. Sharks
2. Chiefs
3. Waratahs
4. Crusaders
5. Stormers
6. Reds
7. Brumbies
8. Cheetahs
9. Rebels
10. Blues
11. Hurricanes
12. Bulls
13. Highlanders
14. Force
15. Lions

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Chiefs
2. Waratahs
3. Sharks
4. Crusaders
5. Brumbies
6. Cheetahs
7. Reds
8. Blues
9. Stormers
10. Hurricanes
11. Rebels
12. Bulls
13. Force
14. Highlanders
15. Lions

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
1. Chiefs
2. Sharks
3. Waratahs (Hated typing that so high up, Crusaders will have more points)
4. Crusaders
5. Brumbies
6. Stormers
7. Reds
8. Blues
9. Bulls
10. Rebels
11. Hurricanes
12. Cheetahs
13. Highlanders
14. Force
15. Lions

Don't think the Cheetahs will be as competitive as last year, don't think they will pick up a win on tour this year.

Highlanders got a horrible away draw, Sharks, Stormers, Reds and Tahs.

Chiefs got a nice draw, Sharks will front run and get pegged back as they play most of their away games at the end of the season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1- Sharks
2- Chiefs
3- Brumbies
4- Crusaders
5- Stormers
6- Reds
7- Waratahs
8- Hurricanes
9- Blues
10- Rebels
11- Cheetahs
12- Bulls
13- Highlanders
14- Lions
15- Force

Reckon the Canes could be a bit of a darkhorse this year. The Saffa conference won't be as tightly contested, with the Bulls losing a shitload of quality players, and the Cheetahs lacking depth.

The Aussie 1-2-3 should also be very close.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Ah why not? If I'm close I'm a genius, if I'm not then someone hacked my account and posted this.

1. Chiefs
2. Sharks
3. Brumbies
4. Crusaders
5. Stormers
6. Waratahs
7. Cheetahs
8. Hurricanes
9. Reds
10. Blues
11. Bulls
12. Highlanders
13. Rebels
14. Lions
15. Force

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Australia
1 Brumbies (more BP than Reds)
2 Reds
3 Rebels
4 Tahs
5 Force

Only Brumbies to play in finals.

Very pessimistic lb. SA conference looks a two horse race between Sharks and Stormers. As I see, there's not much to choose between the Bulls, Cheetahs and Lions and they should all share wins against each other thereby limiting the points available for a third team to make the finals. The NZ conference looks to be much more competitive at the top with each of the Chiefs, Crusaders and Blues going good. Will definitely get two in the finals and a possible third team. The Aus conference looks similar to NZ to me. But I think our top three will be the Brumbies, Tahs and Reds. Two to make the finals and one to fight for a spot with the third NZ team. Possible fly in the ointment for us would be if Rebels and Force become more competitive and steal points from the top three. This is a distinct possibility of course as they have both improved their squads imo.

D

daz

Oz conference only, and numbered in ranking over total conference.

3. Brumbies
7. Reds
9. Rebels
10. Tahs
14. Force

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I gave up trying to predict the log a few years ago. just too many variable.

I put money on the Sharks to win the comp before the season opener last week. The prediction is based on various factors. Super Rugby traditionally comes down to whoever tops the log wins (due to significant travel & home ground factors at play). There have been exceptions to the rule, but not many. I see the Sharks topping the log. I think the SA Conference is probably the easiest conference this year, but not by much. I expect a team like the sharks to rack up bonus point tries against the Lions twice and probably the cheetahs too. I think bonus point wins against the likes of the Force and Rebels will be harder to come by. The Sharks have good depth in their squad and with a fit BDP leading on the field and with the Jake White factor off the field, they’ll have the confidence that this is their year.

The Kiwi conference is bit hard to pick at this stage but should be entertaining as always. Seems like a 2 horse race to me. I’m not sold on the Blues or the Canes just yet. The Highlanders look weak this season and I suspect they’ll give away a fair few bonus point tries. Highlanders to finish somewhere at the bottom, perhaps even wooden spoon.

The Aus conference looks refreshingly competitive. I cant see an Aus team winning it because I see the likes of the Reds/Tahs/Brumbies, and maybe even the rebels trading wins and unlike the Kiwi conference which often lend itself to high scoring affairs, the Aus derbies are usually tight, defensive contests. I do like the look of the Tahs year but we will wait and see.

I will note that some people are suggesting that the fact that the Aus conference is very close this year might cause us to have only 1 team in the finals. The truth is that will only happen if the Aus teams fair poorly against the other conferences. Provided the top teams win games against the contenders from other pools, odds would dictate that 2 teams will make it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You generally need 10 or 11 wins from your 16 games to make the finals. I think any teams needs to win 6 of their 8 local derbies to have a shot. That means beating the bottom two teams home and away and winning your home game against the other two.

The top couple of teams will probably win all four of their remaining home games and snag a couple on the road.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
1. Chiefs
2. Sharks
3. Brumbies
4. Stormers
5. Crusaders
6. Rebels
7. Reds
8. Waratahs
9. Cheetahs
10. Blues
11. Hurricanes
12. Highlanders
13. Bulls
14. Force
15. Lions

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's the Sharkies year this year for the overall win.

The Chiefs will top the New Zealand conference.

ARU to ensure that their team (the tahs) win the Australian conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.