• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 5: Waratahs vs Lions - Friday 28 February 2020 Super Rugby @ BankWest Stadium 7:15pm

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
LIONS (15-1): Andries Coetzee, Tyrone Green, Manuel Rass, Dan Kriel, Jamba Ulenga, Elton Jantjies (c), Andre Warner, Len Massyn, Vincent Tshituka, Marnus Schoeman, Marvin Orie, Ruben Schoeman, Carlu Sadie, Jan-Henning Campher, Dylan Smith
Reserves: Pieter Jansen, Sithembiso Sithole, Frans van Wyk, Willem Alberts, Wilhelm van der Sluys, Hacjivah Dayimani, Morne van den Berg, Wandisile Simelane

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Angus Gardner reffing an Australian team @ home against a Saffa team, come on Gus, you've already been thrown under the bus by SANZAAR, may as well give us a hand.

Angus Gardner hands out 3 yellow cards and 2 red cards to Lions players. Refers questions after the game to SANZAAR's statement that it is a meritocracy and all parties are happy with the outcomes.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Angus Gardner hands out 3 yellow cards and 2 red cards to Lions players. Refers questions after the game to SANZAAR's statement that it is a meritocracy and all parties are happy with the outcomes.

Sensationally red cards Andy Marinos in the first minute, despite him not taking the field for either team. When questioned on this, Gardener declines to be interviewed on cards and their delivery after only one opportunity to card Mr Marinos (this season).

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Waratahs to face the Lions

Honestly not far off what I expected. I know some of us would have liked more change but I'm unsure that some of the other squad members are going to be a panacea for our current challenges. Should they go poorly in this game though I think we might start to see something a little more drastic.

I like Maddocks starting and I'm not totally against Newsome in at 13. They obviously want something Foketi isn't providing and Moeroa mustn't be ready as much as we all hope for some go forward that his build promises.

I can't say I look at that bench and think game changers/impact players though.

A product of Joeys’ 3rd XV.

He’s been playing quite well for the reserve side and has been good for Wicks. I’m not opposed to giving youth a go at this stage.

He looked decent in the A's game. Maybe Penney is hoping unlock some talent like Jock Campbell. Hopefully he goes well, exposing our youth is going to be a big part of this year. Looking forward to seeing Tizzano and Harris also get a run this year.

I guess Rob Penney must have missed last week's Waratahs A game.

To be fair, I think we've got to be careful not too overstate how good some of the players were in that game vs. playing against a first run Super Rugby opposition. I liked the look of Tafa and wouldn't have minded seeing him on the bench so we can get a real sense of where his standard really is at. I'm sure if they thought he was ready they would have considered him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Molman, I'm not disagreeing with your comments about the respective strengths of the Tahs A and the Runners, but I am getting the impression from a couple of your posts that you think the Tahs A side has played two games, one against the Rebels A, while the Runners have played only one. I may bewrong about this, but if not, I would point out that it was the Runners who beat the Rebels A the previous week, and as far as I know the Tahs A had not played prior to the Runners game.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Molman, I'm not disagreeing with your comments about the respective strengths of the Tahs A and the Runners, but I am getting the impression from a couple of your posts that you think the Tahs A side has played two games, one against the Rebels A, while the Runners have played only one. I may bewrong about this, but if not, I would point out that it was the Runners who beat the Rebels A the previous week, and as far as I know the Tahs A had not played prior to the Runners game.

The Waratah A's have played two games;

One against the Rebel A's: https://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2020/02/14/super-a-rebels-waratahs-match

and then the one against the Brumby Runners: https://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2020/02/20/super-a-waratahs-brumbies

I'm aware of/have seen the earlier Rebel A v. Brumby Runners game also: https://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2020/02/07/super-a-brumbies-rebels

So I make my comments in the context of observing the level of play across all three games and all the majority of the Super Rugby matches. Just in case there is confusion with how I worded things, I am saying players who appear to be preforming well in these A level games are hard to compare to the Super Rugby games and players due to the quality of the opposition. As such some players may appear more ready / of a high standard than they really are and the coaches with a lot more data and insights would have more truth in where the players really sit in their development.

That is all I was saying/alluding to.

As I said earlier though, I do think that if they don't perform this weekend we might see some more changes. If no win this weekend and then the Chiefs game, things would start looking pretty grim.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair, I think we've got to be careful not too overstate how good some of the players were in that game vs. playing against a first run Super Rugby opposition. I liked the look of Tafa and wouldn't have minded seeing him on the bench so we can get a real sense of where his standard really is at. I'm sure if they thought he was ready they would have considered him.

I don't for a second think that guys from the second team are going to be dominant straight away. They played well though and the Waratahs have arguably got worse through each game. After 3 losses and a bunch of substandard performances and performers, I thought it was time to reward a few of those guys with a Super Rugby game.

The worst that can happen is you find that they aren't really any better yet.

I think Harris and Tafa have very high ceilings and at some point will be a fixture in the Waratahs team. There's no reason that time can't start now.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ffs this is the televised match here tonight on the upper Pitcairns volta? That's like tuning in for Movie of the Week and it's The Sound of fucken Music