• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Trial: QLD v NSW, John Ritter Oval, Dalby, QLD ; 24 Jan 7:30pm KO (local time), 8:30pm AEDT

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Given the Tahs side is almost full-strength, I'm surprised Beale's not playing 10. If he's going to play there for Round 1, he needs a good warm-up - if his last appearances at 10 in the Wallabies are any indication. Or perhaps Penney genuinely thinks Harrison could start there right away?

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
Given the Tahs side is almost full-strength, I'm surprised Beale's not playing 10. If he's going to play there for Round 1, he needs a good warm-up - if his last appearances at 10 in the Wallabies are any indication. Or perhaps Penney genuinely thinks Harrison could start there right away?

SMH has a pretty good article on the Tah's 10 and 15: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/harrison-mason-in-frame-to-fill-no-10-role-for-waratahs-20200122-p53tmj.html looks like Penney wants Beale at 15.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
SMH has a pretty good article on the Tah's 10 and 15: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/harrison-mason-in-frame-to-fill-no-10-role-for-waratahs-20200122-p53tmj.html looks like Penney wants Beale at 15.

Interesting, given the previous talk about Beale starting the season at 10. Hopefully the change is because Harrison and Mason have impressed at training, rather than the opposite...But yeah, it would be huge for either Harrison or Mason to have to handle that role at the Crusaders in Round 1.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting, given the previous talk about Beale starting the season at 10. Hopefully the change is because Harrison and Mason have impressed at training, rather than the opposite.But yeah, it would be huge for either Harrison or Mason to have to handle that role at the Crusaders in Round 1.

There were a lot of question marks and unknowns over if they'd be able to step up I suspect. Masons outings last year wont make the highlight reels, but I think the training and the Highlanders trial definitely has them in the frame. I guess with Beale at 15 there is always that safety net of a shuffle if need be so I really wouldn't be surprised seeing one of them there Rnd1 should the next trail go ok.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Harrison (or Mason) starts at 10 in round 1 it will be interesting to see whether the other is on the bench or whether Beale covers 10 from fullback.

It could easily be the latter with a bench of Short, Moeroa and one of Newsome/Clark/Nawaqanitawase.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Do you think we'll see Moeroa round 1? I'm curious how his transition back is actually going and where they actually plan to play him - 12.. 13?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1. Dane Zander
2. Alex Mafi
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Angus Blyth
5. Tuaina Taii Tualima
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Liam Wright ©
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Isaac Lucas
11. Henry Speight
12. James O’Connor
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Jock Campbell
15. Bryce Hegarty

16. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
17. Dave Feao
18. Josh Nasser
19. Ryan Smith
20. Seru Uru
21. Moses Sorovi
22. Hamish Stewart
23. Ilaisa Droasese
24. Chris Feauai-Sautia
25. Sam Wallis
26. Hunter Paisami

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you think we'll see Moeroa round 1? I'm curious how his transition back is actually going and where they actually plan to play him - 12.. 13?

I think it will depend on how serious the illness he's had and how much training he is able to do before then.

I'd imagine they'd be keen to have him in the 23 ASAP.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
A pity Hoopert not fit to play in his hometown.

Very close to the starting XV. Rodda, Hockings, Hoopert missing. Who else? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) rested or injured?

Hopefully Tualima can really impress.

B

Bobby Sands

A pity Hoopert not fit to play in his hometown.

Very close to the starting XV. Rodda, Hockings, Hoopert missing. Who else? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) rested or injured?

Hopefully Tualima can really impress.

Great story this bloke - ex oz schoolboy who looked like he might have missed the boat and now hes right back on track.

I also liked the look of Ryan Smith, and it would be interesting to see if Seru Uru can play lock late in games at this level.

B

Bobby Sands

I really like the look of that Red's team. It should make for a great game.

I wish Hockings, McReight, Hoopert were good to go. But it looks ok considering. Should be a pearler.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - the reality is we are going to need these guys at some point in the season, so it’s probably good in the long term that they get some experience now. A bit nervous about the first round coming up against the Brumbies scrum - but I guess that is the challenge for the coaching staff - to get these guys up to speed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds website says this game starts at 7:30pm AEST. Surely it is 6:30pm local time and 7:30pm AEDT?