• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Trial: Reds v Rebels 17 January 2020

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Well. I'm sure the Reds got a lot out of that (except for the card) but I've got no idea what was in it for us.

AFAIK, only 11 out of 27 players are even on the Rebels list. Just can't see what the point was. IIRC, last year Wessels did something similar and then put out a stronger team for the second trial. Didn't get it then either o_O

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well. I'm sure the Reds got a lot out of that (except for the card) but I've got no idea what was in it for us.

AFAIK, only 11 out of 27 players are even on the Rebels list. Just can't see what the point was. IIRC, last year Wessels did something similar and then put out a stronger team for the second trial. Didn't get it then either o_O

Completely agree, aside from rewarding the tackle bag kings for their effort over summer, pointless exercise. Of the 11 on the list realistically only 1 or 2 are likely starters and only another 2 - 3 are likely match day 23. I assume the “real” team have stayed in Melb to continue training. It does however point to To'omua being the 10 to start with.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Completely agree, aside from rewarding the tackle bag kings for their effort over summer, pointless exercise. Of the 11 on the list realistically only 1 or 2 are likely starters and only another 2 - 3 are likely match day 23. I assume the “real” team have stayed in Melb to continue training. It does however point to To'omua being the 10 to start with.

Yep. Except for maybe Gibbon we can probably figure out Wessels preferred 23 by the players that weren't there.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

My take from the game was that QLD are finally dispensing with the 1 off the ruck, round the corner forward play that has shitted me for years and our backs were trying to play through Melbournes line, getting into space rather than just running into defenders.

Melbourne got outplayed tactically (as a Reds supporter I am used to having other teams school us), I hope it was just early season rust.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My take from the game was that QLD are finally dispensing with the 1 off the ruck, round the corner forward play that has shitted me for years and our backs were trying to play through Melbournes line, getting into space rather than just running into defenders.

Melbourne got outplayed tactically (as a Reds supporter I am used to having other teams school us), I hope it was just early season rust.

I missed the first half but there was plenty of one out stuff in the pack in what I did see.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The first half was better, second, we were up by a lot and the humidity was probably in the 90's. Having said that the Reds were trying to play wider, Sorovi was screaming at the forwards to get out rather than play close at times.

Zander was a monster in the scrums,one of those guys that is a lot stronger/tougher than he looks (and he looks strong).

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah I agree with a few on here. Actually think the Reds would have been better off playing an internal trial than that game. Very poor showing from the Rebels but that was to be expected really with the squad Wessels put out. I don't really get it, you have literally 2 games before the season starts and you send that team out?

Hard to know where the reds sit after that. Some teams would have put 100 on them tonight. What is clear is that the Reds are looking more skillful and their support play has improved. Some of the young guys stood up and JOC (James O'Connor) is looking like a great pick up. Shame Daugunu got that Red. Looks like there is some genuine great competition for spots. Excited for the year ahead.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Sounds like the Reds should look to other opposition for trial matches in the future if Melbourne can't at least put some of their leading contenders out on the field it's a bit of a fruitless exercise and a bit against the spirit of the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sounds like the Reds should look to other opposition for trial matches in the future if Melbourne can't at least put some of their leading contenders out on the field it's a bit of a fruitless exercise and a bit against the spirit of the game.

Think maybe we being tough on Wessels? Would you noy use first trial game to see if any real fringe players had it? Then probably in one closer to start of season you want pretty close to starting line up to get boys gelling?
Well that seems how most teams seem to do it, I guess that is the reasoning. Not sure if it right or wrong.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Think maybe we being tough on Wessels? Would you noy use first trial game to see if any real fringe players had it? Then probably in one closer to start of season you want pretty close to starting line up to get boys gelling?
Well that seems how most teams seem to do it, I guess that is the reasoning. Not sure if it right or wrong.

It's definitely the time to be trialling fringe players & those that put their hands up during the pre season. But I don't believe it's worth it for anyone involved if that isn't tempered by at least some of the main players. Not to mention it's the time to work on combinations for the looming comp. I guess it was a good hit out for the Reds as far as gelling combinations, not a good indicator of form or improvement against emerging youngsters & club players.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
IT's an official game, he'll be suspended for a while. It was bad.

Filipo.gif

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Reds scrum was very good in the first half, but I wouldn’t look too much into it. The Rebels were playing 2 LH props with Sa’aga getting the unenviable task of playing TH.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds scrum was very good in the first half, but I wouldn’t look too much into it. The Rebels were playing 2 LH props with Sa’aga getting the unenviable task of playing TH.[/quote]

Against a guy most of us thought was club level at best. Rebels made him look good though

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
JOC (James O'Connor) played really well at 12, cemented that position as his own.
Lucas played well, but having some kicks charged down wasn’t a great sign, I actually thought Hegarty played better at fly-half then Lucas. If McDermott-Lucas-JOC (James O'Connor)-Hegarty can develop a bit of a solid combination together they could really be something special. There was glimpses of it in the game as well.

Zander proved his critics wrong as said already, scrummed really well in the first half, looks to have dropped 10kg since the QPR season but still struggled with his fitness In the second half. Could make a handy LHP off the bench.

Things that weren’t great,
-Feao and Nasser at THP struggled, there’s a real step down in quality after Tupou which is a worry.
-Rolling maul wasn’t set up very well, they got a try or two but it was against an inferior forward pack and think it would have fallen apart against a better team. Rolling maul defence didn’t look crash hot either.. brumbies Rd1 will be watching this space.
-Daugunu has a real bad habit/technique with his tackling which needs to be sorted, he earned too many cards in the NRC and now Super Rugby trials, he is a great attacking threat but can undo all his work with one poor tackle.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes saw the Reds instagram post this morning about Daugunu getting 5 and wondered if he might get 5 weeks to match his 5 tries ?

I reckon that part of the punishment for this sort of tackle should be for the guilty player to visit a rehabilitation facility for people with spinal injuries. I visited one a number of years ago, at the request of a friend who was working as a shearer's cook and had gotten to know some Maori shearers, one of whom had an accident at training, he was dropped during lineout practice, and ended up a quadriplegic, poor bugger.