• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 1 Western Force vs Brumbies, Perth Friday 19 Feb

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good win for the Brumbies in what could have been a banana skin game with the Force back at home for the first time and the emotion around that.

I thought the Brumbies might have struggled without Kuridrani but it looks like there's no issue and people can now start to see why Ikitau went to the Wallabies camp. He turned TK around at least twice in the lead up to tries and you can't underestimate the pairing with Simone helping out he and Lolesio and even Kuenzle last year when Lolesio was out injured.

Pete Samu and Rob Valetini had big games and those two combined with Cadeyrn Neville had big games for the Brumbies. Neville's maul monstering plus 23 tackles and the 27 combined tackles from Samu and Valetini were instrumental in the win.

Nic White got MOTM but you could have given it to any one of those 4 in the end.

The Force will be better for that run. If they can sort out a few little things like execution and discipline in key areas they will get their first win sooner rather than later. In games last year they looked spent around 65-70 mins but there weren't too many examples of that tonight. It's good to see them back in Perth though!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Neville definitely MOTM for me............

He made such a huge difference for the Brumbies last year after they lost Arnold and Carter, and was maybe a bit unlucky not to make the Wobs squad..........

If he keeps up that kind of form all year, he might finally get that first cap.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Neville definitely MOTM for me....

He made such a huge difference for the Brumbies last year after they lost Arnold and Carter, and was maybe a bit unlucky not to make the Wobs squad....

If he keeps up that kind of form all year, he might finally get that first cap.

It was the best game I've seen him play. Great maul defense, good sense of the game which I often felt was lacking in years gone past. On the other side, never been impressed by Thrush and tonight confirmed it. Absolutely nuts he has 11 caps for the ABs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really liked the effort put in by Frost when he came on. Looks to have matured since last year. As well as the good game in general, he is a force to be reckoned with in the lineout. Good sign for the future.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really liked the effort put in by Frost when he came on. Looks to have matured since last year. As well as the good game in general, he is a force to be reckoned with in the lineout. Good sign for the future.

Doing a lot of chatting when he came on too.........

Cusack also providing good impact off the bench.

And I thought McInerney was an improvement on Fainga’a.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Neville, Muirhead and Valetini my best three for the Brumbies.
I know there has been a resurgence in our wing stocks, but I’ve never understood why Muirhead doesn’t get more praise. Or maybe I just miss it.

Lots of rugby smarts, well rounded, great skills and good work rate. Seems to bounce out of tackles too.

Always enjoy watching him play - except against the Reds, of course.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Muirhead and Hansen both had impressive games last night. MOTM for me was Valetini. His defence was unshakable and his workrate was high.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a broader note, as a neutral and with an eye to our chances in the TT comp, I really enjoyed the game.

First game form doesn’t mean a whole lot in the whole scheme of things, but I thought both teams were pretty solid for a first hit out. We want at least 3, hopefully 4 teams who can compete with the NZ sides week in week out.

I remain confident the Brumbies will, and should be hopefully good enough to challenge the best of NZ.

Force have some work to do but they’ve come a long way quickly. Things like discipline can be turned around quickly if the culture is right. I was very impressed with a few of their young guys.

I do have question marks whether Kahui & Kurindrani can play together in the centres. Both great players in their day but both seem to have lost the extra yard of pace and that bit of agility that makes the difference between shutting down the attack and making a critical miss in defence.

Early days though. Hopefully I’m being too harsh.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well done to the Brumbies who were the better side on the night. Great to be at the ground to see some live rugby. Will need to watch the game to get a better idea of performances. Force were OK for a first hit out. Missed Godwin. The new CEO has his 10 commandments from Twiggy so lets hope the on field rugby product builds. There will be some tinkering with the side and I hope it's not too long before we can notch a win and gain some confidence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One of key differences between 2 sides was Brumbies played more intelligent rugby then the Force.

That and the Force had precisely zero on attack. Brumbies just fanned, left the rucks alone, and ate them up all day.

Similarly the Ponies attempted to bore everyone to death on attack. But it works, so fuck it

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That and the Force had precisely zero on attack. Brumbies just fanned, left the rucks alone, and ate them up all day.

Similarly the Ponies attempted to bore everyone to death on attack. But it works, so fuck it

At least, Pfitzy, they had an attack by which you were bored. I presume the only reason they scored three tries was that they had bored the Force players into slumber.

Pity the Tahs have no attack at all to either bore or fire up their fans.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I was really looking forward to the Kuridrani and Godwin centre pairing, which sounds so solid in theory, But it was the Brumbies Simone and Ikitau that dominated. They look like a very exciting centre pairing going forward.

Rob Kearney is still such a solid player, although missing a tad of pace. A great signing by the force.