• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stars vs Rising, 31 August at Leichart

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this once would possibly have been be billed as Sydney Uni A vs Sydney Uni B, but not now.

Rising looked really good in parts last week, especially the last 20 minutes. Stars looked good for the opening 15 mins of their game.

personally i am looking forward to seeing Lopeti Timani run into Will Skelton or vice versa, hopefully Nic Stirzaker doesn't get caught between the two :eek:

Rising to win again but a lot closer

Melbourne Rising team to face Sydney Stars:
1.Toby Smith (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)
2.Pat Leafa (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels) (Vice Captain)
3.Paul Alo-Emile (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
4.Sam Jeffries (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)
5.Cadeyrn Neville (Foostcray/Melbourne Rebels)
6.Luke Jones (Moorabbin/Melbourne Rebels)
7.Sean McMahon (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
8.Lopeti Timani (Footscray/Melbourne Rebels)
9.Nic Stirzaker (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels) (Captain)
10.Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
11.Tom English (Melbourne Uni/Melbourne Rebels)
12.Mitch Inman (Southern Districts/Melbourne Rebels) (Vice Captain)
13.Sefanaia Naivalu (Box Hill)
14.Telusa Veainu (Melbourne/Melbourne Rebels)
15.Jonah Placid (Melbourne Rebels)
16.Tom Sexton (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
17.Tuiatua Tuia (Moorabbin)
18.Cruze Ah-Nau (Footscray/Melbourne Rebels)
19.OJ Noa (Harlequin)
20.Sione Taufa (Harlequin)
21.Ben Meehan (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels)
22.Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin)
23.Joe Kamana (Moorabbin)

T

Train Without a Station

Righto which of you Sydney grubs are coming to this game? I'll be there cheering the Rising.

T

Train Without a Station

Could be worse swingpass. A flyhalf from MU has been known to pronounce it as "leeechardt"

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sydney Stars Announce squad to face Melbourne Rising

The Sydney Stars have announced their squad set to take on Melbourne Rising in Round Two of the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) at Leichhardt Oval this Sunday at 3.00pm.
ImageProxy.mvc

Stuart Dunbar will start again in the number 10 jersey on Sunday
The inclusion of Will Skelton, following his release from the Qantas Wallabies for the weekend, is amongst a few slight changes to the side that took on Brisbane City in Round One.
After suffering a concussion early in the game last Thursday, Michael Hodge has been forced to take a week’s rest, giving Jonathan Fakai an opportunity to start at number 12.
Another change to the backline comes after Peter Betham was called into Wallabies camp, allowing Matt Kenny to move into fullback.
On the bench, Finau Makamaka and Jack Macklin will both pull on the Sydney Stars jersey for the first time.
ImageProxy.mvc

Jim Stewart's power and strength will be important again this weekend
Sydney Stars vs. Melbourne Rising (Leichhardt Oval, 31st August)
1. Jeremy Tilse
2. Tom Coolican
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Ryan Wilson
5. Will Skelton
6. Andrew Leota
7. Patrick McCutcheon (C)
8. Sam Quinn
9. Jock Merriman
10. Stuart Dunbar
11. Henry Clunies-Ross
12. Jonathan Fakai
13. Jim Stewart
14. James Dargaville
15. Mathew Kenny

Replacements
16. Jack Jones (FR)
17. Alasdair King (FR)
18. Tom Robertson (FR)
19. Byron Hodge
20. Hugo Dessens
21. Jake Gordon
22. Finau Makamaka
23. Jack Macklin

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
and the Rising front row and their inside backs and back three :)

think our bench is superior also

If you are going to smash them, and I am pretty confident that you will, how about get some more local players in the starting side? You are flirting with the 16 Super rugby players allowed in that 23. I mean it is not like its a home game.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
If you are going to smash them, and I am pretty confident that you will, how about get some more local players in the starting side? You are flirting with the 16 Super rugby players allowed in that 23. I mean it is not like its a home game.
No guarantee that we'll beat them, let alone smash them - although I am more confident now that Betham is out.

We're going to go round and round on this whole thing with Soup vs local players all year round aren't we? Most, not all granted, of the Rebels players playing for the Rising were fringe or bench players last year. The only exceptions were Inman, Jones - who's being tried at a different position -, Smith and English.

Personally I think we're better served by getting more game time into guys like PAE, Placid, Debreczeni etc. and slowly integrating local players into an excellent cohesive whole than we are just throwing a whole bunch of them in and seeing who sticks. For what it's worth I thought our starting 13, local boy Sefa Naivalu, was probably MotM last week.

I guess it comes down to what you most want to get out of the comp. I'd rather see second string Soup guys and fringe Wallabies really step up. Seems others mainly want to see clubland players playing to see if they can crack a Soup roster somewhere. Not saying either is right or wrong, just different priorities.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No guarantee that we'll beat them, let alone smash them - although I am more confident now that Betham is out.

We're going to go round and round on this whole thing with Soup vs local players all year round aren't we? Most, not all granted, of the Rebels players playing for the Rising were fringe or bench players last year. The only exceptions were Inman, Jones - who's being tried at a different position -, Smith and English.

Personally I think we're better served by getting more game time into guys like PAE, Placid, Debreczeni etc. and slowly integrating local players into an excellent cohesive whole than we are just throwing a whole bunch of them in and seeing who sticks. For what it's worth I thought our starting 13, local boy Sefa Naivalu, was probably MotM last week.

I guess it comes down to what you most want to get out of the comp. I'd rather see second string Soup guys and fringe Wallabies really step up. Seems others mainly want to see clubland players playing to see if they can crack a Soup roster somewhere. Not saying either is right or wrong, just different priorities.

If you don't win, the coach should hang his head in shame. The competition isn't just about development (local or super players). It's also about maintaining local support and surely Melbourne locals will soon be asking- Where are the local players in the Rebels team?

I'm not saying that you should make massive changes, but you've got effectively the same side as last week. Mix it up. Put Toby Smith on the bench (we already know he is the goods). Do the same with Inman and maybe Neville. It's just one game. Every side will have to tap into their Wider Training Squad throughout the season, why wouldn't you take the chance to beef that up with a couple of games here and there? You can achieve both goals and still make a quality challenge for the competition title.

T

Train Without a Station

Why would you take a risk if you don't need to?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
A) To keep your team fresh heading towards finals.
B) To build depth in your squad.
C) To increase the energy in the squad by bringing in a couple of guys who are champing at the bit.

I could list on but I am sure you get the point. In my opinion, a cost benefit analysis says you should have at least 2-3 starting local players and 2-3 local players from the bench. The risk is minimal and far outweighed by the potential reward.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Flirting. I count 17 Rebels according to the team list. Unless they aren't counting Placid yet.

T

TOCC

any crowd estimates on this one?

What do Sydney Uni typically get to their home games?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
any crowd estimates on this one?

What do Sydney Uni typically get to their home games?

Not sure. From the footage on TV maybe 4-500 odd. Could be more it's hard to tell. That's all that's obvious. They usually bring in probably 4-5,000 in the finals so they could draw that many in. Could but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.