• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State and Territory politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I understand you don't particularly like the greens, not many people do. Surely though, there is enough material out there to criticize them about without having to resort to plain making stuff up?

And why are they not liked? They are a left religious sect with the gift of certinude. Not making stuff up who controls the senate now with the ALP?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
House of Reps electorates are based on population, not on equal state representation like the senate. You could reduce the number of seats without redrawing any boundaries if that was the aim.

Your Greens bashing would make more sense if there were more than 2 of their 9 federal senators from Tasmania.

Look at the % to get them in and they have power beyond their size. Only minor representation in House indicated how popular they are.

Not bashing!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Look at the % to get them in and they have power beyond their size. Only minor representation in House indicated how popular they are.

Not bashing!

Liberal and Labor senators also get elected to the senate in Tasmania with far fewer votes than senators require in larger states.

The senate uses a different voting method than the house of reps hence why the senate is a closer representation of the overall voting characteristics of Ausralian voters than the house of reps.

The Greens received somewhere around 10% of the overall votes in the 2013 election and they won 4 of the 40 senate positions.

What was your point exactly?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
To get the number of politicians down and save money abolish the 800 local gov't and the 8000 local politicians that go with it.

Then redraw the state boundaries so they have better populations.. Abolish Tasmania put it back into Victoria, rejoin NT and South Australia into WA. So with 3 States we save on 24 Senators and 50 odd House of Reps. That should save 100 million a year.

What is fair in Tasmania with less that 500,000 people having say 10 senators while NSW has the same number. That is unrepresentative of the majority. Then there would be no greens and we could get on with developing the country.

The NT is the 3rd largest self governed juristiction in Australia and only has 4 representatives in Canberra, both houses combined. Representation through population size doesn't really work well in the NT. Due to this system I am in Lingiari but I live 50km out of Darwin and All my business is conducted in Darwin which is basically the electorate of Solomon. There is a shit load of people with the same issue as Darwin's rural area forms a significant part of the NT population as a percentage.

I would rather see political representation more a geographic representation than a population one. It would help MP (Moana Pasifika)'s be more in tune with the needs and issues of the electorate.

How can the member for Lingiari possibly represent both the people of the Red Center and outer Darwin including everything in between.

I don't think we need less representation but more productive representation.

Then there is economical representation. Head per capita, we are the second largest economy in Australia.

There is a push for statehood in the NT. Should they ever get it, I wonder where the added Senate representation will come from.

I don't think it helps when the capital cities of most of the states are not even close to being central in their juristictions.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Liberal and Labor senators also get elected to the senate in Tasmania with far fewer votes than senators require in larger states.

The senate uses a different voting method than the house of reps hence why the senate is a closer representation of the overall voting characteristics of Ausralian voters than the house of reps.

The Greens received somewhere around 10% of the overall votes in the 2013 election and they won 4 of the 40 senate positions.

What was your point exactly?

Asnswering a previous point

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does adding words to his quotation suit your agenda?

You are a tense person.

No I just pushed the enter button and my comment must have been to close to the quote.

Or it is a conspiracy theory from Area 51.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
For how long?

One independent is sick already unfortunately for him.

Be interesting to see how his electrate which voted Liberal in the most part according to the media will react. Another like the two ferderal guys who will never win another election in their seat so left

He could be as labour calls them a rat.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Oh dear, time for the Administrator to dismiss the NT Government. This is the Chief Minister that rolled his predecessor after 4 months in the job and while he was in talks in Japan over Darwin's LNG investments. He has no control over his government and they have no control over running the Northern Territory.

Allison Anderson is the one who Tony Abbott labeled an authentic Aboriginal unlike Ken Wyatt who was labeled a urban Aboriginal. Only Tony could say such a stupid thing but George Brandis says he has the right to be a biggot.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-...-liberals-after-suspension/5353444?section=nt

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Boom went the Premier!

Certainly wasn't expecting Barry O'Farrell to resign this morning. When ICAC produced the card he sent to Nick di Girolamo after yesterday denying that he'd ever received the wine the writing was probably on the wall.

Hopefully this provides the necessary impetus for both sides of politics to distance themselves from power brokers and lobbyists. It's unfortunate that the example of truly bi-partisan politics has only shown itself when there was an opportunity to fleece taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.