• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of Origin Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This may have been posted before but I cannot recall.

Would love to see a Rugby Origin between NSW and Queensland with players being eligible for their particular State in which they played first club games (after school). Thoughts ??

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No need.
SOO was born out of desperation for a contest between the states.
It was amateurs v pros in the last few years before SOO,and had long ceased being a contest.
That's not the case in our code.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Alexander
4. Douglas
5. Jones
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. McCabe
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Turner
15. Beale

vs

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Feauai-Sautia
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Shipperley
15. Mogg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely NSW would have Folau at fullback and you could put Beale at 12 and McCabe on the wing for Turner. Nick Cummins can come in for Betham.

NSW bench could be: Sio, Ryan, Charles, Pyle, Dennis, Burgess, Betham, Inman.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Slim, Don't forget that there are a couple of suburbs in Auckland that like loig, and it is pretty strong on the South Island West Coast as well. Piri Both Ends WeePoo, and Tana Umanga apparently played it is Wainoimatta also.

That makes it Northern England, PNG and little bits of NZ.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
@Slim, Don't forget that there are a couple of suburbs in Auckland that like loig, and it is pretty strong on the South Island West Coast as well. Piri Both Ends WeePoo, and Tana Umanga apparently played it is Wainoimatta also.

That makes it Northern England, PNG and little bits of NZ.

Actually, most kiwis enjoy league. Even the die-hard union fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Born in NSW, went to school in QLD and went to club rugby in Sydney straight after - debatable and that's why I left him out with Folau.

Stop taking the Queensland SoO line. On the rugby union map both Port Macquarie and Minto are in NSW.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why are they no good at it then? Occasionally there is a stacy jones type character that carries them to a bit of a fluke victory over our Mob, but there is no real depth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why are they no good at it then? Occasionally there is a stacy jones type character that carries them to a bit of a fluke victory over our Mob, but there is no real depth.

They are good at it. It's just a lot more of their best footballers play rugby union.

Benji Marshall instituted some big wins in recent years including the second last league world cup from memory.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

We have a number of the best players in the game - remember that SBW guy? - but our coaches....hmmmm. When we won the World Cup we had this Bennett guy involved in the team.

Appaprently a team of champions doesn't make a champion team :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stop taking the Queensland SoA line. On the rugby union map both Port Macquarie and Minto are in NSW.

SoO imo should be were you went to school. I think that's where you start to identify with your state and support them. Much like NSW/QLD schoolboys.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Given this is a theoretical exercise, I think the qualification standard should be where they attended HS. Far more traditional in Rugby than the mungo game and more tend to go from school to the pros in rugby. The idea is Origin, not first pro contract. It wouldn't make a huge difference in most cases but cleaner and there might still be a few floating around who have never played a club game of rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

Probably because so many of their potential players play for Aus due to SoO, etc.

If it was Rugby, would James Tamou, Willie Mason and Karmichael Hunt have played for the Wallabies despite being born in NZ? I'm sure there is a number of others but I can't really be bothered researching which players just have NZ or PI heritage and which were actually born there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably because so many of their potential players play for Aus due to SoO, etc.

If it was Rugby, would James Tamou, Willie Mason and Karmichael Hunt have played for the Wallabies despite being born in NZ? I'm sure there is a number of others but I can't really be bothered researching which players just have NZ or PI heritage and which were actually born there.

A couple of years ago someone who obviously had way too much time on their hands did the math & found that around 20% of NRL first graders were NZ-eligible & a similar number were PI to some degree or other. Bound to be some double-ups as a high % of any Kiwis squad will also be eligible for Tonga or Samoa, but safe to say that at least 1 in 3 NRL first graders are NZ, PI or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.