• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Steak Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
About a year ago I discovered Masterfoods Squeezy Worcestershire Steak Sauce and am now addicted. I cant find it anymore now that I have moved back to Manly. Can anyone offer any suggestions ? I know this is a very trivial topic and probably a waste of your and my time.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've started making my own pepper sauce, it is life changing.

Get the tins french green peppercorns, and 500ml cream. Simmer for about 30 mins, and squash half the peppercorns.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My favourite is garlic, onions, herbs, butter and red wine all reduced down so it's more of a syrup than a sauce.

BTW, I tried that MF Worcester steak sauce tonight and it was not bad at all.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
About a year ago I discovered Masterfoods Squeezy Worcestershire Steak Sauce and am now addicted. I cant find it anymore now that I have moved back to Manly. Can anyone offer any suggestions ? I know this is a very trivial topic and probably a waste of your and my time.

I saw them at the Coles at Neutral Bay

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Steak sauce! What the hell? You should only need steak sauce if the damn thing is overcooked to salvage some flavour. Seasoned correctly, coated lightly in a good olive oil and cooked to perfection .i.e. rare, there's no need for sauce. If you need something extra whip up a plum sauce marinate but that's only if you need something extra.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would have thought it was all a matter of personal taste WCR ;)

I like steak marinaded and I like to have a sauce on the side. Not every cut of meat is equally good unfortunately and some of them need a bit of extra seasoning.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Squeezy Worcestershire Steak Sauce Ingredients

Water, Sugar, Malt Vinegar (contains Barley), Treacle, Thickener (Modified Cornstarch), Salt, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Fructose, Fish Sauce, Spices, Colour (Caramel 150C, from Wheat), Spice Extracts (Clove Oil), Lemon Extract

So its worcestershire sauce with sugar, sugar, sugar, and added sugar. I'd suggest that is not that much of a loss.

I like a cream of garlic sauce myself (garlic, sour cream, sometimes I add mint). Works for lamb loin chops as well. Mmmm, lamb, if I could only afford it !!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would have thought it was all a matter of personal taste WCR ;)

I like steak marinaded and I like to have a sauce on the side. Not every cut of meat is equally good unfortunately and some of them need a bit of extra seasoning.

True but I have always viewed condiments as a last ditched attempt to save a ruined cut. I am a fan of a good mushroom or pepper sauce but usually on potatoes and such.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Speaking of good cuts, I've been getting into the Ribeye roast from Woolies / Coles, then cutting it into steaks myself. The meat is fantastic, and it works out about $20/kg. Steaks tend to be quite thick too.

Attachments

• DSC03639.jpg
    DSC03639.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 245

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
:D
Speaking of good cuts, I've been getting into the Ribeye roast from Woolies / Coles, then cutting it into steaks myself. The meat is fantastic, and it works out about $20/kg. Steaks tend to be quite thick too.

That's the best way to ensure overall quality of the steak. I buy rump and scotch straps then cut them into steaks myself into roughly 1 inch thick steaks or larger if I feel the need. Beautiful.

An interesting fact regarding steak. McGill University recently completed a study that found just the thought of a sizzling steak had a calming effect of the male pysche. Evidently it arks back to our hunter/gatherer days were we'd hunt all day and relax with a meal heavy in red meat. So as the saying goes if 'music soothes the savage beast' then 'beef soothes the savage man'.:D

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)

Yes I tried one of those and the result was quite good. Though I marinated it - generally a no-no with fillet etc. But it was quite good.
A good cup of orange juice, half a cup each of port and olive oil, a third of a cup each of balsamic vinegar, worcestshire sauce and red wine vinegar. A big teaspoon of dried thyme (double if fresh), similar amount of crushed garlic. Let it marinate for a few hours and then BBQ so that it is no more than rare. Whilst you let the meat rest, reduce the marinade by 2/3 to make a sauce.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My favourite is garlic, onions, herbs, butter and red wine all reduced down so it's more of a syrup than a sauce.

BTW, I tried that MF Worcester steak sauce tonight and it was not bad at all.

Recipe please! I love red wine jus.

And if anyone has any rub suggestions, I'd love to hear them as well.

We tend to use the lazy man's red wine and garlic marinade from Masterfoods for BBQed steak. Not too bad if you marinade the meat overnight, but messy when cooked with. For pan fried steak we cook a home made dianne sauce, but I'd prefer a red wine jus personally.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

You got me onto those and they have been a staple in our house since, great way to do it.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

I dunno, just cook the mushrooms add the rest ad hoc, to taste, thats what I do

Mum buys long eye fillets from the butchers down in Eastwood then cuts them around 1 and a half inches thick. cook em right and you get a really nice colour on the inside, light pink not bloody

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses your steaks like excellent. Steak is always about buying quality meat. You can use anything to marinade and basting but if you get a tough one because you went cheaper you'll pay a hefty prize. Anyway myself always use Steers Spare Rib Marinade

Steers%20sparerib%20marinade%201lt_medium.JPG

http://www.expatshop.co.za/p4GSP13/Steers-Sparerib-Marinade-1-lt.aspx

Will marinade the meat about 2 hours before braaing and use the sauce as a basting sauce when its done.

The best sousie for TBones is

Knorrs Sweet and Spicy

knorr%20sauces_medium.JPG

http://www.expatshop.co.za/pKNORR2/Knorr-Sweet--Spicy-Sauce-340ml.aspx

This one is spicy and a great basting one, dont put the meat init longer then a hour and it gives a nice charcoal taste to your T Bone. Never throw salt on steak , only once it hits the plate.

My Mrs makes a very nice Mushroom Sousie serve with the steak. Got fresh cream , fresh mushrooms and mushroom soup powder and a lot of cheese. Oh and Slaptjips talks with steak.

I always love a bit of Olive Oil in the marinade, it give you flames when braaing but my Mrs dont like it, tells me it taste like Cafe.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I was up in Toowoomba a few months back and went to the weekend markets. Found the best Worcestershire sauce ever.

Called 'Aunty Vi's Preservatives Worcestershire Sauce'.

If you're up that way you wont regret it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.