1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

#stopkony

Discussion in 'Politics' started by barbarian, Mar 8, 2012.

1. barbarian Andrew Slack (58)

What are people's thoughts on this?

I have several issues with it (in terms of delivery, message etc) however the one thing I keep coming back to is the fact that this guy is an undeniably evil dude, and bringing him to justice will clearly make a lot of lives better. Plus any efforts to raise awareness of atrocities beyond our borders can only be viewed as positive. So I'm pro.

I am skeptical about the true effect that arresting this bloke will have on the situation in the region, surely they can't be so naive to think that catching one bloke will make all the bad stuff go away.

I also think the campaign involves a massive oversimplification of the region and it's problems.

But any effort to shed light on it, no matter how questionable, is a positive at the end of the day.

It's also a very interesting precedent in the use of online media in forcing government action on foreign soil. A dangerous precendent? I don't think so, but an interesting one nonetheless.

waratahjesus likes this.
  2. barbarian Andrew Slack (58)

And for anyone unfamiliar with it, this is the video that explains it all:

3. Bruwheresmycar Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Unfortunately the video explains nothing for me. Why is this a pressing issue? Does the government want action taken in 2012? Where is Kony? What has he done recently? Have the people who made this video been to Uganda recently? Are we just going to make the situation worse? We don't even know what the situation is.

They did terrible things and should be held accountable. But that isn't what the video is implying, they seem to imply we must act immediately or else bad things will happen. But don't tell us what.
  4. barbarian Andrew Slack (58)

I think the video is implying we must act now or else Congress will withdraw its support for the mission.
  5. matty_k Ken Catchpole (46)

The biggest question about the campaign is about the charity itself.

http://m.smh.com.au/technology/tech...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

But this is a pretty good summary

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/18920717928/thedailywhat-on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to

Basically it can be summed up as this
    Kony is an evil man but the Invisible Children charity is funding the Ugandan army which are doing similarly evil things. The charity itself won't publish how it is spending the money, which most NGO's do, and it appears most of it is being spent on the three main people, flying around the world and making that movie.
  6. Scarfman Knitter of the Scarf

Making the movie is kind of a legitimate expence when you are trying to influence people (rather than feed people, let's say).
  7. Bruwheresmycar Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Thanks for all links in advance. Blogs everywhere are clearing up all the misinformation.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts...is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

8. barbarian Andrew Slack (58)

This is probably the best article I have read on this subject, on a blog from a guy in Uganda:

http://myquaintandquietlife.tumblr.com/post/19039946905/ivan-2012
    Cave Dweller and waratahjesus like this.
  9. light Dick Tooth (41)

Kinda challenges the whole system in which a state is built if America is sending troops into capture Kony. Sure, what he has done are crimes and he is wanted by the ICC but there would have to be more pressing issues right now in the global community than just one bloke, this is one of many cases and taking down Kony will only result in the emergence of new leaders of the LRA and the same problems in the region will continue.

What the hell happened to state sovereignty?
  10. waratahjesus Greg Davis (50)

That is a good blog.
  11. Cave Dweller Syd Malcolm (24)

Weren't it the maker of Kony who got arrested for masturbating in public recently?
  12. matty_k Ken Catchpole (46)

Yep
    Cave Dweller likes this.