• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Rebels @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels need a win in South Africa, think it will more likely be the Sharks but going with Rebels by 3

D

daz

Normally I'd say the Stormers in a canter, but this could be a hard one to pick. It depends what is going on between the ears of the Rebels players after last week's embarrassment.

I agree with Kev that the Sharks are the more likely win on tour, but let's hope that there is a bit of anger in the boys to be unleashed this weekend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers will put out its heavy attilery.

SS
DHL Stormers coach Allister Coetzee has confirmed that he will be selecting both Duane Vermeulen and Schalk Burger for Saturday’s important Vodacom Super Rugby clash with the Rebels at Newlands.

Both players are due for varying amounts of rest as per the rest agreement struck between the South African Rugby Union and franchise chief executives at the start of the year, and it was assumed that this might be a game where Coetzee would do it. Vermeulen has already rested three games and is due to sit out one more, while Burger has two stipulated rest games and he hasn’t been rested yet.

“Obviously it means that Schalk will have to sit out two of the three games that will come after this, and Duane will have to sit out one, but we have decided that against the Rebels we want the strongest possible team,” said Coetzee.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It is nice to see if nothing else we have gained a degree of respect that we didn't command in padt years.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers v Rebels at Newlands
Referee: Stuart Berry (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Quinton Immelman (South Africa), Rodney Boneparte (South Africa)
TMO: Deon van Blommestein (South Africa)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Stormers v Rebels at Newlands
Referee: Stuart Berry (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Quinton Immelman (South Africa), Rodney Boneparte (South Africa)
TMO: Deon van Blommestein (South Africa)

As if the Rebels weren't up against it already!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Rebels team vs. Stormers, Newlands Stadium Cape Town, Sunday 24th May 3:10am (AEST)

1. Cruze Ah-Nau (Rebel #59, 23 Rebels Caps)

2. Pat Leafa (Rebel #57, 30 Rebels Caps)

3. Paul Alo-Emile (Rebel #44, 47 Rebels Caps)

4. Luke Jones (Rebel #32, 57 Rebels Caps)

5. Lopeti Timani (Rebel #69, 13 Rebels Caps)

6. Sean McMahon (Rebel #62, 24 Rebels Caps)

7. Scott Fuglistaller (Rebel #45, 42 Rebels Caps)

8. Scott Higginbotham (Rebel #46, 41 Rebels Caps, Captain)

9. Nic Stirzaker (Rebel #38, 35 Rebels Caps)

10. Jack Debreczeni (Rebel #71, 16 Rebels Caps)

11. Tom English (Rebel #50, 37 Rebels Caps)

12. Mitch Inman (Rebel #35, 54 Rebels Caps)

13. Dom Shipperley (Rebel #75, 9 Rebels Caps)

14. Cam Crawford (Uncapped)

15. Mike Harris (Rebel #76, 11 Rebels Caps)

Reserves:

16. Tom Sexton (Rebel #81, 4 Rebels Caps)

17. Keita Inagaki (Uncapped)

18. Laurie Weeks (Rebel #19, 60 Rebels Caps)

19. Cadeyrn Neville (Rebel #42, 47 Rebels Caps)

20. Jordy Reid (Rebel #51, 19 Rebels Caps)

21. Colby Fainga’a (Rebel #65, 27 Rebels Caps)

22. Luke Burgess (Rebel #56, 25 Rebels Caps)

23. Bryce Hegarty (Rebel #54, 29 Rebels Caps)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Why do they feel the need to lie about the fitness of Smith and Ellison. Any numpty could have seen they were not likely to return.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Who knows! Perhaps they were giving them time to prove themselves, but then again even blind freedy could see they were not right. Yamato and Sean really needs an extra week. I'm also amazed Par is starting considering he cracked his ribs against the blues.

So Jordy back on the bench and stugs returns for his first start in a while.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
So Jordy back on the bench and stugs returns for his first start in a while.

Rebels are really lucky to have so many options for the back row. Fugs will run on and want to prove why he is co captain!. I hope TT does not put Jordy "back in the box" with no game time now that he has signed for two more years!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The DHL Stormers team to face the Rebels (home) is as follows:
15. Cheslin Kolbe
14. Seabelo Senatla
13. Juan de Jongh (vice-captain)
12. Damian de Allende
11. Dillyn Leyds
10. Demetri Catrakilis
9. Louis Schreuder
8. Duane Vermeulen (captain)
7. Siya Kolisi
6. Schalk Burger
5. Manuel Carizza
4. Eben Etzebeth
3. Frans Malherbe
2. Scarra Ntubeni
1. Steven Kitshoff
Replacements:
16. Bongi Mbonambi
17. Ali Vermaak
18. Vincent Koch
19. Jean Kleyn
20. Nizaam Carr
21. Nic Groom
22. Kurt Coleman
23. Huw Jones

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
Solid Stormers outfit! It'll come down to whoever maintains the grunt for the longest. The rebels' continues-phase game play went to shreds against the Reds because of Gilly and a third of their starting team dropping like flies unexpectedly with 30mins left. If they can manage to stay fit and allow McGahan's plans to come into fruition, no injuries, they should get up.. And scrum time will be interesting, with both scrums in the top 5 of the comp

Rebs by 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Our scrum is going to get absolutely tonked. Stormers by some multiple of three.

As an aside I hope Crawford has a blinder and makes me write a number of angry posts wondering why he's been kept behind English all year. And Christ knows why Veainu can't get a game, it's pretty clear that actually being good doesn't matter so I'd love to know what else he has to do.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Defensively we're fucked without Ellison, Shipperly defends like a winger when he plays 13.

And no Toby means the scrum is stuffed as well.

Stormers by 20.

D

daz

Defensively we're fucked without Ellison, Shipperly defends like a winger when he plays 13.

And no Toby means the scrum is stuffed as well.

Stormers by 20.

Agree Toby is a big loss, but I have a bit of faith in Cruze. He has been really very good as an impact player off the bench all year, and the Reds game aside (he wasn't on his Pat Malone having a shit game), I reckon a starting gig on tour is just what he needs.

A full 80 against an SA front row is about as good as it gets for on the job training!

I honestly can't see the Rebels winning, but I really want to see the response of the playing group after last weekend.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
i told my brother ( reds fan ) before last weeks game if i was forced at gun point to put $1,000 on the game i would have had to put it on the reds ,, it was such a pivotal game for the rebels i knew they would not be up to it . Now we are roostered trying to beat Stormers in form and hungry for easy points against us ,, if we win this it will be the making of the team i reckon . but my $1,000 would have to go on the Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.