• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Waratahs Round 10 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biggest talk is about the refs. This time we have a Kiwi ref. So no sad losers about SA refs this time around.

New Zealand referee Mike Fraser will oversee the clash between the DHL Stormers and the Waratahs at DHL Newlands on Saturday.
The assistant referees will be Paul Williams and Cwengile Jadezweni, while Shaun Veldsman will be the Telvision Match Official.

Maybe it will be Veldsman?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
For the Waratahs this game will be season-defining. Looking at the draw, they will probably lose to the Crusaders in Christchurch. To get a home final they cannot afford to lose any other game and they probably need another four bonus points (Cheetahs, Crusaders, Sunwolves and maybe Blues at Eden Park?) No, make that three bonus points.

So they just cannot lose to the Stormers. A one point win is all that is required.

I expect to see the kicking tactics they employed against the Force to get another run this week. Build field position and then let Kurtley and Israel loose.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Travel to the Republic will make it tough for the Tahs to get up

Tahs scrum will get shunted and it will take top games from Beale and Folau (and Foley's boot) to get a win.

Stormers by 15

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm encouraged by the Tahs' steady progress both in terms of its scrum (Robertson has made a positive impact) and the attack. Gibson has said that the same backline as took the field against the Force will be employed and there's unlikely to be many changes up front.

Two basics are required: a reduction in both the foolish penalties and handling errors. The kicking game will also be vital.

The travel will be a factor but if the Tahs are in touch at the 60th minute mark like the Reds were against the Stormers last week (and could've taken the lead had McIntyre not shanked his penalty goal attempt), the Tahs have the wherewithal to escape by a skinny margin.

An eternal optimist I know but there are signs that tipping the Tahs this week is not delusional.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Travel to the Republic will make it tough for the Tahs to get up

Tahs scrum will get shunted and it will take top games from Beale and Folau (and Foley's boot) to get a win.

Stormers by 15
This. I reckon if we had parity at scrum, we'd be a good chance. But I think we won't, we'll get heavily penalised, and if nothing else, they'll kick us out of the game.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is a critical game for the future of Australian rugby.

Just wanted to say that before MCHS does :)

Stormers scrum is very good but they are reckless in my view at the breakdown. If Tahs can compete at the breakdown I don't think Fraser will let the Stormers just fly off their feet like they have been doing most games.

Refs often allow stuff at the breakdown when there is dominance, but make it a contest and they will notice the lying on the ground, hands etc.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A Crusaders supporter moans about another team's players going off their feet at the breakdown. Now I have heard it all.

You guys invented lying down before Adam even knew that Eve existed.

:D

Reactions: TSR

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's the voices.

You know, the dead people.

Tis like da voodoo. Gota watchit as it can gets ya like a parasite in ya head; like it got the Gary - cant help but want to talk to da ref's even during the game over and over. :eek:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the only real selection decision will be whether TPN starts or whether Roach gets another crack.

I'd guess TPN will move back into the starting jersey particularly as the scrum battle will be far tougher than against the Force. Roach did a good job in his absence.

I'd be very surprised if Latu comes back in and Roach misses out altogether. Latu's form to start the season wasn't a patch on how he played in 2014 and 2015.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This. I reckon if we had parity at scrum, we'd be a good chance. But I think we won't, we'll get heavily penalised, and if nothing else, they'll kick us out of the game.

If TPN plays the shunt will be nowhere as bad. Bloke is a monster at scrumtime but I wonder how his fitness will go. Hope HE goes well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs haven't been f*cking about at scrum time, lock, hold then push on their ball and on tahs - ball channel one and out.

The biggest problem over the last couple of weeks has been the ball coming out too fast.

More concerned about matching SA physicality at the breakdown and in contact

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i expect tpn in to start and roach to the bench, given his form the last couple of weeks it's definitely deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.