• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stu Dickinson Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/4577/Default.aspx

Dickinson was in charge of an Australian record 47 Test matches after controlling his first international in 1997 when Tahiti played Papua New Guinea in a Rugby World Cup qualifier.

He went on to referee at the highest level of the game for 15 seasons, officiating at three Rugby World Cup tournaments – the 1999 event in Wales, 2003 in Australia and 2007 in France.
“I also want to thank the ARU and my Australian and international colleagues, the camaraderie and friendships I have made over my time in the game will be truly cherished.

“My decision to hang up the whistle I believe is the right one, as I now have a good opportunity to move into the commercial world and leave the game feeling as though I’ve achieved all I set out to achieve.”

Dickinson has completed a Masters Degree in International Sports Management through Southern Cross University.

Good luck in retirement. Hopefully we have some good refs to fill the gap he leaves in SH reffing.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah - he started out too whistle-happy but matured into a pretty good ref. He's just the kind of ref wee need in these dark times ...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep hope he enjoys his retirement, I didn't always agree with Stu, but that means he probably penalised my team for something. I always think it a bit of a shame when top ref or player retires, as regardless what we think, they have only got where they are by giving it the best they could!!

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
I feel he cost Italy a win over the ABs but he wont be the last ref to side with the established nations

B

Blob

He was awful.

I saw a interesting piece about ref remuneration today. They get paid so well that Roland is a mortgage broker and takes annual leave and leave without pay in order to ref at the world cup. It also went into the incredible level of measurement and assessment to which they are subject, including gps tracking their game movements to measure distance covered, average speed, maximum speed etc etc etc.

J

Jay

I feel he cost Italy a win over the ABs but he wont be the last ref to side with the established nations

Really? How do you figure that then?

Cause even if he'd decided to ignore the laws of rugby and award a penalty try (not one of those scrums looked like being shoved back 5m so there was no probable try at any point - the sanction for repeated offences are cards, not penalty tries) you should probably check the scoreline. Italy lost that match by 14 points.

I'd also quite like to hear how he 'sided with the established nations' by repeatedly penalising the AB's and sin-binning Tialata?

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Who actually pays test Refs? - Their home unions or the IRB ?
Or is it a retainer from their home union with expenses & match fees by the IRB for International duty?
Anyone know

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I saw a interesting piece about ref remuneration today. They get paid so well that Roland is a mortgage broker and takes annual leave and leave without pay in order to ref at the world cup.

I'm actually not sure that this means anything at all....

J

Jay

Yeah, I mean even if reffing pays fairly well, it's not a full time job and you can't do it till you're 65 so you'd imagine most of them would have other employment. And if I was his employer, I wouldn't be paying him (over his statutory leave) when he's not actually working. Anyway, don't mortgage brokers work on commission?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Now that you point it out, I am inclined to agree.

It could just be that Mr. Roland makes enough during his day job that he is happy to take a 'pay cut' during his 'holiday'.

Or he could just love reffing and as per above, is in the fortunate position to be able to financially entertain it.

There are many possible reasons.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Stu Dickinson was totally inconsistent. He made some strange decisions and won't be missed. Steve Walsh is another who was going great in NZ at NPC level But then had that run in with alcohol and things-ended up in pieces! Now hopefully hes a better ref and person for it!!!

With all due respect to the more balanced NZ supporters here, is it a NZ national pastime to hate on Stu Dickinson?

Edit: I think I am a little miffed because of the sneering disrespect in this post. The bloke was a international quality ref for a good while and is now stepping down. Even if you dislike him, show enough respect to recognise his achievements.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stu Dickinson was totally inconsistent. He made some strange decisions and won't be missed. Steve Walsh is another who was going great in NZ at NPC level But then had that run in with alcohol and things-ended up in pieces! Now hopefully hes a better ref and person for it!!!

You must really hate referees. They're the only people you haven't referred to as Mr.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Of course he will be missed - just as ANY international ref with years of experience would be missed.
I dont know why you'd knock him when the AB's actually won far more than they lost under Dickinson. All refs are inconsistent, it's the nature of the job - different teams, different countries, new IRB rulings each year. I thought he was a good one.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
He was awful.

I saw a interesting piece about ref remuneration today. They get paid so well that Roland is a mortgage broker and takes annual leave and leave without pay in order to ref at the world cup. It also went into the incredible level of measurement and assessment to which they are subject, including gps tracking their game movements to measure distance covered, average speed, maximum speed etc etc etc.

Where was the article?

J

Jay

I dont know why you'd knock him when the AB's actually won far more than they lost under Dickinson.

That's kind of irrelevant though - I doubt there's many refs out there that have officiated more AB losses than wins. The only one I could think of is Barnes who I know has two losses, and even he also has a couple of wins. Plus there's the fact that NZ rugby fans had a fair amount of exposure to Dickinson in Super Rugby, so it's not as if there's no justification for someone not rating him.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think that the career of Dickenson shows that referees have a limited life span at the top. I remember when Dickenson first emerged in about 1996, he was quite strict and fast on the draw when it came to Yellow cards. In the early 2000's he developed into a very fine referee, still a little quick to go to the pocket for my tastes but generally very consistent. He performed well throughout the mid 2000's but started to lose some form. In the last few years he has had the odd good game, the odd shocker and has generally been pretty average.

He is retiring perhaps a year or so late, but we should remember him for his good perfomances, not his latter days.

This 'arc' is actually quite common with referees, others that I can think of that followed a similar path are Paddy O'Brien and Wayne Erickson. Towards the end of their careers they were a shadow of their former selves.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Really? How do you figure that then?

Cause even if he'd decided to ignore the laws of rugby and award a penalty try (not one of those scrums looked like being shoved back 5m so there was no probable try at any point - the sanction for repeated offences are cards, not penalty tries) you should probably check the scoreline. Italy lost that match by 14 points.

I'd also quite like to hear how he 'sided with the established nations' by repeatedly penalising the AB's and sin-binning Tialata?

Come on bro, can't you recognise blatant trolling when you see it? I saw that and was about to type a rebuttal before realising he was just looking for a reaction. Just breathe a couple of times and walk away!!

Status
Not open for further replies.