• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Suggest a new coach for the Waratahs here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Although the current coach is contracted until the end of 2011(?!), does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

Does anyone know what Brian Melrose is doing? I'd like to see him get a crack at it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Hickey only had a two year contract so it should be up at the end of this year.
they havnt really mentioned it, but i believe Cheika said he was appraoched by the tahs.
im calling one more year of hickey then we go after a national coach from somewhere after the world cup, maybe get kiss back

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lindommer said:
Langthorne said:
Does anyone know what Brian Melrose is doing?

Coaching Eastwood. He'd do well if you went everyone to up and leave.

There are a few I'd be happy to see the back of, but that isn't the main attraction. I like the style of play he encouraged with the Western Rams, and also the way he got the most out of his players. Is he known as a coach who drives players away?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Langthorne said:
Lindommer said:
Langthorne said:
Does anyone know what Brian Melrose is doing?

Coaching Eastwood. He'd do well if you went everyone to up and leave.

There are a few I'd be happy to see the back of, but that isn't the main attraction. I like the style of play he encouraged with the Western Rams, and also the way he got the most out of his players. Is he known as a coach who drives players away?

I used to play with him (& Scott Johnson), grumpy bastard is Melrose, he ain't media friendly

If Hickey gets the bullet, which I think is highly unlikely, my pick would be co-coaches Foley and Alan Gaffney

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gaff is too old these days for the top job but I'd like to see him come home to be the backs coach.

I heard a rumour recently that it is bad form to quote oneself, but bad form has never bothered me. This was after the Sharks match when I hoped that Chieka would get the Tahs gig and he should bring Randwick mate Gaffney with him:

Tell then how to run the ball Gaff and give them some of the old Randwick moves.

Start with the advice “This is a rugby ball. It is a precious thing. Cherish it fondly; for the ball, well received and well delivered, will do wonderful things.”

Tell them some of the tenets of the game as old Cyril Towers told you: make your fellow backs look better than they are, never hesitate to run forward and most of all – enjoy the game.

These elements have been missing for so long in Tahs rugby that they are scarcely remembered.

There is no joy in the way they are playing even if they win. No joy.

P

PhucNgo

Langthorne said:
Although the current coach is contracted until the end of 2011(?!), does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

Does anyone know what Brian Melrose is doing? I'd like to see him get a crack at it.

I seem to recall that Melrose was the Tahs backline coach a few years back....just about when the rot started to set in.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
louie,

Thanks for the nomination but I have to decline though I've had some experience.

I was good for the Narrabeen Tigers Under 10s when the regular coach was away, but lost credibility with the players when I forgot the oranges one day.

They were a fickle team. One day after several weeks of rain in Sydney and playing on a field with several large puddles one of the lads pointed and said: "Look, there's a frog."

All the Tigers congregated at the puddle and agreed it was a frog. Meantime the Newport fullback was, literally, strolling over the goal line to score a try and wondering where the tacklers were.

Then all his team came over to look at the frog too.

It was then I realised that coaching was not for me.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Lee Grant said:
louie,

Thanks for the nomination but I have to decline though I've had some experience.

I was good for the Narrabeen Tigers Under 10s when the regular coach was away, but lost credibility with the players when I forgot the oranges one day.

They were a fickle team. One day after several weeks of rain in Sydney and playing on a field with several large puddles one of the lads pointed and said: "Look, there's a frog."

All the Tigers congregated at the puddle and agreed it was a frog. Meantime the Newport fullback was, literally, strolling over the goal line to score a try and wondering where the tacklers were.

Then all his team came over to look at the frog too.

It was then I realised that coaching was not for me.

tha the best story i've heard all week

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
en_force_er said:
I could defer for a year and give it a red hot crack? Couldn't be that bad.

I'm all ears - tell us about your coaching style/philosophy, what would you do first?

Yes, Melrose was the backs coach a few years back...he managed to get the best from players like Beale (both at the Tahs and Rams), which gives me some hope.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon FP is on the money with Foley. My two other options would be Louden, who would have been coaching the tahs now if the NSWRU didn't f it up and Scott Johnson (who I suspect needs to coach at super level before being selected for the wobbs).

Status
Not open for further replies.