• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
After this inevitable loss, we should drop Mitch Marsh and maybe replace him with Joe Burns. Use Smith, Warner and a couple of others as part-timers. Khawaja and Voges on their last chances next test.

Agree with most of that. Khawaja is class and still has a long career in baggy green. Got arguably one of the better balls too. Voges should probably see out this series at least. M Marsh is probably the only player really in line to be dropped after the one test.

The class isn't there behind these guys which is worrying. Gone are the days of guys averaging 50+ in shield not getting a look in. Now the next gen are south of 40 and still considered test standard. Henriques may be next all-rounder in line but I don't think he is test standard either and would prefer the 6 batsmen.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
^^^^^^^^^ Agreed. In what universe do you pick a middle order batsman who has a Shield average below the mid-30's? We now suffer from England's problem in the old days of picking bits and pieces cricketers, rather than blokes who execute one set of skills at a very high level. I mean we're picking fast bowlers on their batting ability and batsmen who can bowl a bit and leaving more credentialed players in first class cricket.

Khawaja will come good, he's class. Voges will never be better than he was last season, but will see the rest of this series out. Mitch unfortunately has used up all of his chances. The non-shot that he played yesterday was absolutely dreadful. Shaun has done enough recently to be there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^Chickens are now coming home to roost as I predicted when we picked the Dad's Army team for the last Ashes tour. I noted that even Lehmann came out last week and said in hindsight that they shouldn't have picked the old guard.

As a youngster, Rod Marsh was one of my favourite cricketers and he also did a fantastic job at both the Cricket Academy in Adelaide and in a similar role in England. Sadly, the head selector role has proved a bridge too far and he's been quite poor in this role.

I mean, we now pick bowlers apparently on who will be the best number 11 batsmen ffs. Is this a Marx Bros movie????

The lead creeping up towards 250 and South Africa still have 8 wicket in hand.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sethfricken lead now 442, highest fourth innings at WACA is 414, unless Warner & Smith both get 150+ I reckon you're done.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd declare now if I was Faf. With a bowler short they might need some more time to get 10 wickets, though with our middle order it'll probably be over by stumps.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
South Africa 7/508 at lunch day 4, a lead of 506 with 5 sessions remaining.

I reckon that they'll bat for no more than one hour of this session, as that means that their depleted bowling attack will have half a day bowling today, time to freshen up overnight and then have a full day tomorrow.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sethfricken lead now 442, highest fourth innings at WACA is 414, unless Warner & Smith both get 150+ I reckon you're done.

Even in that scenario, it's difficult to see the rest being able to play out 4-5 sessions without throwing their wickets away.

I can't remember the last time that we batted out a draw for over a day.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The only way we win is if a miracle occurs.

Has anyone ever scored 540-odd runs in around 4 sessions?

Highest ever 4th innings score in test cricket was by England v South Africa in Durban 1939. England were 5/654 chasing 696 to win. They batted for 2 days - but it was a timeless test so they batted all day on the 11th day and the 12th day. The game was called a draw as the boat taking the English team home had to leave.

The second highest 4th innings was more recent - New Zealand scored 451 (all out) chasing 550 against England in Christchurch in 2002.

Highest ever score to win was by the West Indies who scored 7/418 against Australia in St John's in 2003.

Australia's highest ever 4th innings total was 406 chasing 522 against England at Lord's in 2009.

Australia's highest 4th innings total to win was 3/404 against England at Leeds in 1948 when we had Don Bradman leading the invicibles.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Highest ever 4th innings score in test cricket was by England v South Africa in Durban 1939. England were 5/654 chasing 696 to win. They batted for 2 days - but it was a timeless test so they batted all day on the 11th day and the 12th day. The game was called a draw as the boat taking the English team home had to leave.

The second highest 4th innings was more recent - New Zealand scored 451 (all out) chasing 550 against England in Christchurch in 2002.

Highest ever score to win was by the West Indies who scored 7/418 against Australia in St John's in 2003.

Australia's highest ever 4th innings total was 406 chasing 522 against England at Lord's in 2009.

Australia's highest 4th innings total to win was 3/404 against England at Leeds in 1948 when we had Don Bradman leading the invicibles.

Miracle required confirmed

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Damn, I thought we were looking good to chase that total down today.

Did someone tell these muppets it was a 4 day test? A run out in this situation is just unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.