• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Starc out of the series with a fractured foot. Big blow just when he had an extended run.

Is Cummins getting through one shield game enough?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For mine, needs to be Bird into the Test side, and probably Sayers into the squad.

Law of fast bowlers would mean that Cummins would come in and get injuried, then Pattinson would come in and do the same, then Behrendoff would hurt himself on his debut, then Siddle would be back and injure himself etc. etc.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hohns, Chappell and Boof appointed selectors for tests and one dayers for the next couple of years.

Waugh and Boof will select the T20 side.

Waugh about to head to India to replace Hohns as the Selector on duty

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cummins named to replace Starc.

Surely won't play off just one shield game and has just gone over early for the one-dayers.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cummins named to replace Starc.

Surely won't play off just one shield game and has just gone over early for the one-dayers.

Are we playing one-dayers over there?

I think he will play the next test and definitely the last two. It might be an injustice to Bird (who I think should play) but our point of difference to the Indian seamers is our pace. There's also a fair argument that his batting significantly strengthens our tail which was one of our big issues in the second test.

Wouldn't shock me if Cummins is straight in at 8. What selectors do at 6 is more of a lottery - I have a bad feeling it will be Maxwell.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've thought about it and thought about it some more and I can see the case for Cummins to come in. Leaving aside the sheer injustice to guys like Chadd Sayers who flogged their guts out in Shield cricket for the last few years, I think I understand what the selectors might be thinking.

Cummins is a hugely talented bowler and does what Starc has now proven he can do: bowl with pace, move the ball in the air and get good players out. He's hardly played in the last few years but if I'm a selector I'm asking myself: we need to win one of the last two tests -- who can help us do that? Not who can be solid and protect a lead in the series, but who can worry the opposition. Cummins is probably that guy. I'd still pick Bird, but there is the possibility that the attack will be a bit samey with him and Hazelwood as the only quicks. Cummins provides shock value because of his pace and movement. That's why I think there is a good chance they'll pick him and bowl him in short spells.

At six, I'd pick Ussie, though Maxwell wouldn't be a surprise at all. Neither would be worse than Mitch has gone in this series.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great points TBH.

The more I think about it the more Cummins makes sense. Not only is he a genuine wicket taking threat but he offers speed that Bird and Hazlewood don't. Those two are far more likely to bowl a consistent nagging line and length but they are the same sort of bowler. Starc proved in the first test that there is no substitute for genuine pace and a bloke who can bat abit at 8 is quite handy. If they bowl Cummins in short spells, like the did with Starc, they probably figure the risk is minimised and there's also very little of Pat available for Indian pre-game analysis.

That being said, it's more than likely going to be a pitch (road) similar to the second test so I'd expect our bowling unit to be looking at a minimum of 200 overs. If Cummins is the selection at 8 then I think Khawaja's chances are hugely diminished.

My thinking is that it would be a massive risk to take in Cummins without a bowling option at 6. If one of our spinners picks up a finger or wrist injury, or one of our pace duo breaks down, the remaining three bowlers would be forced to share the bowling responsibilities. Given Agar is the same sort of bowler to SO'K and that Stoinis is hugely unproven and inexperienced, we are left with G Maxwell - a bloke with experience in Indian conditions, a 'decent' first class record with both bat and ball, and a massive point to prove.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
c841533e4c16e0c471639130ae32ec83.jpg
The picth is again dry two days out, and will play low and slow apparently.

Quicks couldn't get it above waist height on the practice wicket

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
c841533e4c16e0c471639130ae32ec83.jpg
The picth is again dry two days out, and will play low and slow apparently.

Quicks couldn't get it above waist height on the practice wicket

Very surprising given how the series has played out so far. India owe a lot to one good partnership for them not being down 2-0. They must think both sides performances are aberrations and normal programming is inevitable. They might be right but it's a risk and I'd have thought the pitch might be a road and they would back to selves to score 600+ runs akin to how they beat England. Something I do think is beyond the Aus batting line-up in India. If anything a pitch that can do anything from day one evens the contest up slightly.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I heard that the curator has banned the Aussies from taking photos of the wicket. It's laughable how much they doctor their wickets and get away with it. The question for us now is who can exploit the low bounce the most? You'd think Bird if he can land it on a good length and get it to deck back in.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Have now seen a closer photo and read more on the pitch. Completely ridiculous. ICC must come in after this series and mandate that the away captain gets first choice on use of the pitch. It is not perfect but much better than the process taking place now in India. They are cheating, no two ways about it.

6caada52680aa50256f20ff15648060a.jpg

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
. The question for us now is who can exploit the low bounce the most? You'd think Bird if he can land it on a good length and get it to deck back in.

The signs out of the Australian camp are that he won't be in the XI. If true we may have shot ourselves in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.