• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hilton Cartwright 70 (90) and 170* (173) for WA v NSW. First class average now at 52.07.

I'd wager that he will take Handscomb's spot at 5 for the Ashes.

Yes, I've been following his progress with interest since he got a crack at a test spot earlier this year. It's fair to say that he's kicked on as we'd all hoped after getting a taste. He's made 70, 170*, 14, 101, 23, 14, 94 and 27* (average 85) in his last few Shield games. That's pretty damned good.

Overall, he's made 861 runs at 53 to finish second in the aggregates for the season.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Will be surprised if we make it to tea, let alone score enough runs to make India bat again. This pitch will have turned into a minefield overnight and there will be plenty on offer for the Indian spinners. Wouldn't surprise me if we survive the first session then Jadeja runs through our middle order in about 20 minutes after lunch.

Lyon has to go after this test. Bring Bird in and have Maxwell bowl a few more overs. If Cummins can't play we are in serious trouble.

Can Smith and Renshaw stonewall 550-odd balls?

Drop: Wade, Garry, S.Marsh

In: Nevill, Bird/Sayers, Khawaja

Why didn't we give Hartley a cap for SA test 3 and Pakistan?

Who should be the keeper for the future?

on a (slightly) more positive note: Mitch Marsh this series has scored 48 runs. Kohli has scored 46 runs this series

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia certainly lost that session. Renshaw and Smith were obviously the two batsmen most likely to get us to a draw.

I think Australia needs to get through the middle session unscathed. At worst we could lose one wicket.

I could easily see us losing the last 5 wickets within one hour. Hopefully they manage to tick the runs over a bit better after lunch as getting a lead means we have to survive for slightly less time.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Think we are clutching at straws here.

Losing Smith was the killer blow but its encouraging that we have a right hander at 6. Don't think S Marsh will survive long against Jadeja and I'd be shocked if we survive the next session without losing at least one wicket. Very little evidence to suggest Handscomb can occupy the crease for 150 deliveries.

Hopefully our tail can score a few runs so they have to bat again at the very least. Even if we can get 40-50 runs ahead we should be able to defend that with boundary riders in a 9-2 field setting and pace outside off stump.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think we are clutching at straws here.

Absolutely. I'd say we are more likely to lose the game in the next session rather than making it past tea. We are even more unlikely to push the game late into the final session.

It would be nice to draw it out late into the day though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
brilliant stuff by both batsmen.

This wasn't the treacherous pitch we all thought however.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Two unlikely heroes save the day. What a time to stand up and be counted. Now the series will be decided in the 4th test at altitude which should favour our pace bowlers.

Both blokes deserve all the accolades they will receive, marvellous stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Marsh out and India still have a sniff. 10 overs remaining after this with 2 lost for the changeover. Figure if Australia survive another 6 they can't lose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's exactly the kind of gutsy effort I hoped (but didn't expect) this team would produce. I'll only say it very quietly, but I think this tour could be the making of this team, whatever happens from here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now we can't lose. India would have one over to bat if we declared now.

Brilliant final day performance by Australia.

Our bowlers deserve some credit too. Whilst we couldn't bowl India out, keeping the scoring rate relatively slow meant India had to bat for longer than ideal and took too much time out of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.