• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU R2 - Reds v Rebels Suncorp Stadium 26/2

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stats tell an interesting story
EF075700-11B0-47F4-AE84-CBBCAD334F22.jpeg

277F1E3D-C964-4B64-9528-37D6247E90AC.jpeg

E56F141C-3602-441A-9548-907A76BF6BFB.jpeg

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Had the Reds just played structured rugby and taken the chances they were offered , the Rebels would have looked quite ordinary. But they didn’t . Premeditated, up tempo , razzle dazzle rugby should be shelved as a failure for future game plan options .
Fuck some of you lot are boring - the reds tried to play an uptempo and expansive game but simply did not execute on the night. The inability to execute was either bad luck or underdeveloped skills - with the truth somewhere in the middle as they've obviously played skilled rugby in the past.

Teams should be encouraged and rewarded to play attractive and exciting rugby from their fans - if all teams played like the Rebels - then rugby deserves it's current position at the bottom for broader public.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Reece Hodge reminds me of Tom Carter. Can't think of a more uninspiring player in Australian rugby.

You have to credit Reece for his consistency and application; he turns up and puts his body on the line week-in week-out. However at the end of the day he really is a bit of a plodder.

Has anyone ever really seen his name in a team list and been excited/ or concerned? Apart from tackling, he's not very effective at anything. For all this talk about a massive boot, in the big games, he misses kicks a lot more frequently than he nails them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
. I still can't fathom why O'Connor wasn't in the refs ear about the number of penalties the Rebels gave up in the 22. That is poor captaincy.

See I have a different perspective on that but with the same outcome. I can’t fathom why JOC (James O'Connor) didn’t take his side aside and say “listen guys this guy is anal about the offside line. Our defence is excellent so let’s take step back at each ruck and back ourselves”. Poor captaincy either way.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
For all this talk about a massive boot, in the big games, he misses kicks a lot more frequently than he nails them.

Rightly or wrongly, Hodge's miss last year will be forever burnt in my brain like Kurtley's slip during the Lions tour. Both kicks if made would have had huge impacts on Australian rugby. Shame.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Hodge is a coachable player and thats why coaches keep moving him around to vacant positions, because they trust him to adapt to those roles. But i also think that he lacks a good passing game, and doesn’t seem to create many opportunities in attack either. Happy to finish them off when they present though.

He is a good player to have in the 23, just don’t know where his best spot in the 15 is.

Reactions: dru

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
They had a smart game plan, especially considering the handicaps they were operating under because of the pandemic.

I can understand your angst, Reg. However the Reds played as well as they were allowed to. Good on the Rebels. Almost snatched it.

The Rebels game plan of 'up in your face' defense against the Reds back line, combined with a greasy ball, worked a treat for them.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Fuck some of you lot are boring - the reds tried to play an uptempo and expansive game but simply did not execute on the night. The inability to execute was either bad luck or underdeveloped skills - with the truth somewhere in the middle as they've obviously played skilled rugby in the past.

Teams should be encouraged and rewarded to play attractive and exciting rugby from their fans - if all teams played like the Rebels - then rugby deserves it's current position at the bottom for broader public.
The razzle dazzle should come after you set a platform not premeditated from the opening whistle and continued even when it obviously isn’t working .

Cheika used to get pretty roasted for his run at all costs with no plan B approach.

Playing up tempo , attractive rugby doesn’t mean you don’t still do the basics. The quick tap from Tate early on that got passed on to JOC (James O'Connor) who then kicked it was just plan poor rugby . Up tempo yes , but poor.

At some point last night they needed to consolidate. Maybe I am boring , but I would rather be appreciating good rugby than moaning about pissing a game away through poor execution of a game plan that wasn’t working.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

I have never enjoyed watching rugby more than the Reds 2011 campaign, but here and now, the right attitude with the wrong skills and execution is straight up boring. There is no entertainment value in up tempo rugby if you can't string 3 phases together. You can still play attacking, expansive rugby within a structure.

I personally hate the stodge the Rebels dish up, but the Reds can't blame them alone. You'd have liked it if the refs were less pedantic about things that don't really matter (halfbacks offside at the line-out), but the Reds need to own some of thst too.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I have never enjoyed watching rugby more than the Reds 2011 campaign, but here and now, the right attitude with the wrong skills and execution is straight up boring. There is no entertainment value in up tempo rugby if you can't string 3 phases together. You can still play attacking, expansive rugby within a structure.

I personally hate the stodge the Rebels dish up, but the Reds can't blame them alone. You'd have liked it if the refs were less pedantic about things that don't really matter (halfbacks offside at the line-out), but the Reds need to own some of thst too.
I agree with basically all of this but I don’t think rugby fans (in this country) should be criticising the intent to play rugby. Criticise the execution and criticise the players for not developing their skills and to work harder at training.

Don’t criticise the quick tap, criticise the shit pass that follows it.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Reds in 2011 and Waratahs in 2014 captured the rugby public’s interest much more than any recent success that the Brumbies have had- I wonder why that is?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
One more thing- you guys keep talking about ‘lack of structure’ when the reality is that up-tempo expansive rugby is the way that they are coached to play. Did you hear the Thorn interview at halftime- the way they play is their ‘structure’.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree with basically all of this but I don’t think rugby fans (in this country) should be criticising the intent to play rugby. Criticise the execution and criticise the players for not developing their skills and to work harder at training.

Don’t criticise the quick tap, criticise the shit pass that follows it.

To be fair mate, I don't think the criticism is the intent to play rugby, more the lack of skills (and yes it is a skill) of knowing when to tap and run or throw the pass. See rugby skills are more than passing and catching.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I guess for all of the discussion around tempo, what isn’t being talked about is the idea of “going through the gears”

That is , using tempo more strategically - knowing when to push it and when not to.

That’s my frustration in watching the Reds through the first two games - it’s just push with no thought or consideration ......timing is a bit off , composure is a bit off and when the mistakes and penalties rack up it just compounds the anxiety and produces more “push”

Work the gears. Just like the All Blacks do. I would have thought Thorn would get this.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
A lot of complaints about the ref, but as far as I could see he was right most of the game. Poor discipline from both side. So ma y penalties. The players should be expected to adapt to the rules.

I think a lot of the criticism is at the fact the ref didn't take control of aspects of the game. Not a single warning for multiple infringements around the ruck. There was a huge amount of sloppy and blatantly cynical play in the ruck. Refs need to get on this early and stamp it out with warnings then yellows. Get the teams in line which will then allow the game to flow. By allowing players to fuck around at the back of a ruck, hands in the ruck, not supporting their body weight, not actually attempting to steal the ball but hang onto a body - it sets the tone for the whole game and just ruins the rhythm. There was a huge amount of cynical play last night. As an example the red card possibly wouldn't have happened if Hardwick had released the ball the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time he was called for hands out. The precedent was set. No chance of a card or even a warning, why not leave your hands on the ball and slow it down.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dane Zander seems to be progressing well. Kept his shape properly and scrummed really well last night against a quality opponent. Looking forward to keeping an eye on how he progresses this season.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Reds in 2011 and Waratahs in 2014 captured the rugby public’s interest much more than any recent success that the Brumbies have had- I wonder why that is?

The Broncos sucked?

The two biggest rugby centres finally won their first championships?

Seriously though, did the 2014 Waratahs capture the rugby public's interest......... before they made the grand final?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speaking of props, Eloff did a number on Tupou last night.......... Rebels starting scrum looked very strong.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some interesting thoughts here. I haven't seen the broadcast yet. At the game I found the ref highly frustrating. TBF to him, often calls that seemed silly were proven correct on the replay. But he did not have control of the flow of the game at all.

There was a lot of what seemed to me cynical action in the last 20 by the Rebels to gain a breather as the Reds up tempo game plan was striking home. Ref simply allowed it. Some of it was sheer pantomime. This destroyed a lot of the purpose of the Red game plan.

Reds were pinned by a far superior kicking game which was a smart strategy against what might otherwise seem a superior team. The Rebels were very unlucky that it didn't work. Reds got away with it on luck.

I thought Hodge was everywhere, To'omua a better leader than JOC (James O'Connor). I still don't accept calls to replace Campbell at 15. Paisami is really shaping up. Agree with the view that Zander is a player to watch. Tate did not provide service consistent with the up tempo intentions. Sorovi much better in the speed of his delivery but his accuracy is not improving.

Not a game to advertise but Reds fans will take the result all the same. have to appreciate the Rebels - while some of the bitching on this forum has been tedious there is no doubt Rebels arrived at some considerable disadvantage. Their strategy reflects where they are at and it actually deserved to do better. At the same time I will not be particularly enthused in watching them unless just a tiniest bit of creativity is introduced.