• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU R2 - Reds v Rebels Suncorp Stadium 26/2

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Broncos sucked?

The two biggest rugby centres finally won their first championships?

Seriously though, did the 2014 Waratahs capture the rugby public's interest... before they made the grand final?

2011 wasn’t the Reds first championship.
Broncos finished top 4 in 2011

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Teams should be encouraged and rewarded to play attractive and exciting rugby from their fans - if all teams played like the Rebels - then rugby deserves it's current position at the bottom for broader public.

I don't believe a bonus point should be available to a team that scores no tries. I would prefer a bonus point for either team with four tries, win or lose.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

provincial rugby existed before the Brumbies came along, not sure why you would want to deny rugby its own rich history. AFL/NRL both recognised the NSWRL and VFL records before the professionalism era.
Even your wiki source lists the 1992-1994 Super 6/10 Championships Super Rugby - Wikipedia
Capture.PNG

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Look, I want to believe you guys........ it's just that it's not listed on the official Super Rugby website either?

Strange.........

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Look, I want to believe you guys.... it's just that it's not listed on the official Super Rugby website either?

Strange...

this is pretty silly debate mate, even the official super rugby website acknowledges the fact.
No doubt had the Brumbies been included in the early competitions you wouldn't be denying the existence.

Capture1.PNG

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    107.9 KB · Views: 118

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well If we're going to discredit all those that came 'pre-Super Rugby' as per Slims definition, then I'd like to congratulate the Reds and Waratahs for been the only two Australian teams to have won 'Super Rugby'..

Super 6, Super 10, Super 12 and Super 14 no longer count :D

Capture3.PNG

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well If we're going to discredit all those that came 'pre-Super Rugby' as per Slims definition, then I'd like to congratulate the Reds and Waratahs for been the only two Australian teams to have won 'Super Rugby'..

......... except that all the results from 1996 onwards are listed under the heading "Super Rugby - Past Winners"

:cool:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
"Brumbies average crowds for this season are now at the lowest point in the club's proud history, with just 8332 turning up to each of the seven games so far."

That was in 2019 when the Brumbies were on top of the Australian conference. Seems like even Canberians aren't entertained by Brumbies rugby since the early 00's.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Brumbies average crowds for this season are now at the lowest point in the club's proud history, with just 8332 turning up to each of the seven games so far."

That was in 2019 when the Brumbies were on top of the Australian conference. Seems like even Canberians aren't entertained by Brumbies rugby since the early 00's.

Are you suggesting Lolesio should've taken the quick tap instead of the drop goal?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Super 6, Super 10, Super 12 and Super 14 no longer count :D

View attachment 12093
2014 is too much like Super 14 so we can erase the Tahs win and just leave the Reds as the only champions:)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Caught up with the broadcast. The game as broadcast was nowhere near as unattractive as being there. Have to respect the coverage as it is the only difference. The game on TV was almost exciting. At the field it was an exercise in tedium.

Ref was just as pants as I remember. For both sides to be fair, it's just that the Rebels will kick for goal anywhere in their half and do well by the result.

Thorn in the mid game interview was all " up tempo keep going" when someone should have been thinking that the Rebels had turned half the footy field into the red zone. We really could have used some better thinking on territory.

Hodge is my man of the match very closely followed by Mafi. For the Rebels I highly rate Pincus, Fa'amausili and (dare I say it) Hardwick. OFC Hodge and To'omua.

God Tupou is a beast. Back on after the Fotuaika RC (contrary to my thoughts at the game that was a red every day of the week and three times on Sunday), first scrum, a tight head. Demolishes the Rebel scrum with no 8 in the pack. Wow. Then follows with a flick pass and sitting in as 9 when we were stretched. Wow. Beast. Respect.

Vunivalu gave us a moment that will never be forgotten. Can someone explain the adjudication? "Kicked dead by Rebels, last touched by Reds". How can a Red touch mean anything when the ball is dead? If it is a legitimate touch - try. If it isn't - out by Rebels. ?!? Also, on the (try) line is a try, but on the (dead ball) line is out? I presume that is correct.

At the game I thought the Rebels were unlucky. Re-watching nah, the right team got the points. Which does not mean that the Rebels are not due respect. They really did have an unfair lead up to the game and they did pull together an intelligent game plan that seriously took it up to the Reds. A combination of Hodge and To'omua kicking is going to frustrate many teams this season, I suspect.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
can't blame their tactics-frustrate the opposition into stuffing it up,almost worked,in fact,should have worked

dru

Tim Horan (67)
can't blame their tactics-frustrate the opposition into stuffing it up,almost worked,in fact,should have worked

Was I "blaming"? From recollection I said something like:

Which does not mean that the Rebels are not due respect.

EDIT: This doesn't change the best line of the game commentary. "What are they waiting for? A massage table and some conditioning oil?"

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Was I "blaming"? From recollection, I said something like:

EDIT: This doesn't change the best line of the game commentary. "What are they waiting for? A massage table and some conditioning oil?"

Felt sorry for the reserve hooker. After all the bullshit we need a rest 'injures' he was actually hurt.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Felt sorry for the reserve hooker. After all the bullshit we need a rest 'injures' he was actually hurt.

Yeah he was. I still think that a ref needs to let a game flow. There had been plenty of interruptions at that stage. If he is injured and in a prone location, hold things until you can get him off. Otherwise play on.

The massage table and conditioning oil is back in the sheds.