• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU trial Qld v NSW 5 Feb Narrabri

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Lets be honest the whole Super Rugby Au is a trial.

I’m not sure if I’m taking your comment out of context, but that seems a pretty churlish way to look at it.

When Super Rugby was in full swing I thought the general consensus was it was an awful comp and we wanted more domestic content and less games at midnight. Now we have that and the comp seems to be viewed by many as third string.

For what it’s worth I enjoyed last years Super AU & I’m looking forward to this years.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The match up of the starting wingers will be interesting.

Quite a daunting task for Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) and Reilly defensively.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
obviously RA have said no Wallabies to play. But with only 1 trial, surely there's more benefit in playing your best team?

My guess at what the best starting Reds team would be:

15 Jock Campbell
14 Filipo Daugunu
13 Ilaisa Droasese
12 Hamish Stewart
11 Suliasi Vunivalu
10 Bryce Hegarty
9 Moses Sorovi
8 Seru Uru
7 Fraser McReight
6 Liam Wright
5 Tuaina Taii Tualima
4 Ryan Smith
3 Feao Fotuaika
2 Josh Nasser
1 Dane Zander

the bolded ones are the ones I would have starting in a full strength starting team

Throw in Paisami, Petaia, McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor), Tupou, Wilson, Blyth, BPA and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and that’s not a bad looking team, eh.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’m not sure if I’m taking your comment out of context, but that seems a pretty churlish way to look at it.

When Super Rugby was in full swing I thought the general consensus was it was an awful comp and we wanted more domestic content and less games at midnight. Now we have that and the comp seems to be viewed by many as third string.

For what it’s worth I enjoyed last years Super AU & I’m looking forward to this years.

So did I but for most casual fans rubber hits the road when we play the New Zealand teams. If we get smoked across the board it isn't great for Australian rugby.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry don’t remember this, memory is a little hazy after all the beers I had watching the Reds in the grand final

So hazy you missed the reference. In the Reds v Waratahs trial at Dalby last season Daugunu scored five tries then got a red card and suspended for 5 weeks due to a tip tackle.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Not wanting to have their opposite spear tackle them ...... after scoring five tries like last year?
Yes not the best way to finish what was otherwise an impressive game from Daugunu last year. With competition pretty hot for spots in the Reds’ backline , don’t think Thorn would tolerate another five week suspension.

Was obviously more commenting on defensive “issues” a couple of the Tahs’ outside backs had last year . Having said that, think Gilmore did a great job in the back end of the season with them.

Michael Todd similarly with the Reds.

Two impressive young coaches.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So hazy you missed the reference. In the Reds v Waratahs trial at Dalby last season Daugunu scored five tries then got a red card and suspended for 5 weeks due to a tip tackle.

It happened in Gladstone didn’t it???

I’m pretty sure it happened right in front of me - but the state of my memory these days I won’t be surprised if I find out I am wrong.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So did I but for most casual fans rubber hits the road when we play the New Zealand teams. If we get smoked across the board it isn't great for Australian rugby.

I agree with the second bit, but the first bit was probably the bit I was picking up on.

As far as I understood the thing most people wanted was more Australian Derby’s.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I’m pretty sure it happened right in front of me - but the state of my memory these days I won’t be surprised if I find out I am wrong.

Geez mate, so it not just me, I almost have to ask Missus Dan54 who the hell she is when I wake in the morning!!:confused::D

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Yeah looks like my memory was the hazy one. It was against the Rebs in Gladdy.