• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU trial Qld v NSW 5 Feb Narrabri

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well from a Tahs point of view, that was all pretty good apart from the line-out, which was diabolical. Tom Horton needs to spend the next two weeks practicing his throwing.

I counted one picked off and one or two overthrows on our ball?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I didn't get to watch the trial. How did some of the players go?

Did Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) play well on the wing?

How did Sam Caird and Whetton go at lock?

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) did less stupid, from memory only one hospital pass, he took the ball into contact more and made at least one tackle

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Some positives

Bryce Hegarty’s goal kicking
Seru Uru’s attack and defence
Dunguna’s elusiveness
Moses Sorovi’s improved speed distribution from the scrum and breakdown
Will Harrison’s game control and finding the gaps
Joey Walton’s positional play
Gordon’s game control

Whilst I agree with all that.. there is still something about Sorovi's service I still don't like. Something about his basic passing skills... he floated a few high well off the mark.. It's still a big step from Tate to him imho..

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) did less stupid, from memory only one hospital pass, he took the ball into contact more and made at least one tackle

He still seems to lack a little game awareness, like when Maddocks made a nice break and left him space on the edge, but Marky cut in instead.. he just has a little bit of a goofy element about him at times, which is a shame as you can see so much raw potential...

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Whilst I agree with all that.. there is still something about Sorovi's service I still don't like. Something about his basic passing skills. he floated a few high well off the mark.. It's still a big step from Tate to him imho..
Agree. The receiver spends that extra second watching how the ball in going to hit them rather than them running onto a clean ball.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He still seems to lack a little game awareness, like when Maddocks made a nice break and left him space on the edge, but Marky cut in instead.. he just has a little bit of a goofy element about him at times, which is a shame as you can see so much raw potential.

He looks to me to be that immensely talented unit that never had to learn how to play rugby

Whereas Maddocks looks like the wallaby 15 in waiting, massive boot, pace, size & time to do stuff. Which is quite amazing as he looked just disinterested playing on the wing

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whilst I agree with all that.. there is still something about Sorovi's service I still don't like. Something about his basic passing skills. he floated a few high well off the mark.. It's still a big step from Tate to him imho..

To me quality of Gordons passing and disribution to the backs highlighted Sorovi is definitely a level below that. I thought Gordons passing and distribution was quite sharp and good at putting players into space.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He looks to me to be that immensely talented unit that never had to learn how to play rugby

Whereas Maddocks looks like the wallaby 15 in waiting, massive boot, pace, size & time to do stuff. Which is quite amazing as he looked just disinterested playing on the wing

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) grew up playing the other code.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) grew up playing the other code.
Which makes his defensive issues of last season even harder to comprehend.

His positioning often lead to mistakes and that is understandable, but sometimes his technique and contact was way below what you would expect of someone who grew up on league.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
To me quality of Gordons passing and disribution to the backs highlighted Sorovi is definitely a level below that. I thought Gordons passing and distribution was quite sharp and good at putting players into space.

I know Gordon has been working a lot to hone his approach being a taller 9. He seemed to have a little more spring in his game in that trial, hopefully that flows on into the season, because whilst White and McDermott have a lot to offer, I still think Gordon is equally capable 9 with his own strengths and weaknesses.

What did people think of Grant's performance?