• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So as there was no thread for the trial game between the Reds & Fiji, I thought it is best to get things going early for the game between the Rebels & the Reds.
The Rebels have just come off 2 defeats against the Brumbies & the Waratahs, but without a number of their star lineup.
The Reds is a revamped side with youth in abundance, & a mix of experience, who just beat Fiji 17-15 last night but who were also the only Aussi side to make the semi finals of the Brisbane 10's.
So who will get up next week is the burning question for the first Aussi game of the Super competition

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds are undefeated through the trials (not including the 10's) and are the only Australian team to defeat a NZ team this year (including the 10's). I'd start engraving our name on the trophy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds in a late surge to win. Rebels still trying to find combinations.

Actually, will be a touch ironic (?) if Jono Lance leads the Reds to a win after abandoning the Rebels a few weeks ago.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reds in a late surge to win. Rebels still trying to find combinations.

Actually, will be a touch ironic (?) if Jono Lance leads the Reds to a win after abandoning the Rebels a few weeks ago.
Did he abandon the Rebels or was he cut loose? The result and the part he plays will be very interesting.

T

TOCC

Reds are undefeated through the trials (not including the 10's) and are the only Australian team to defeat a NZ team this year (including the 10's). I'd start engraving our name on the trophy.

Waratahs are pre-season champions for me, with headlines like ‘Tahs Magnificent’ when talking about their trial match and Gibson describing Folau as a ‘beautiful man’ they already have one hand on the trophy

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Waratahs are pre-season champions for me, with headlines like ‘Tahs Magnificent’ when talking about their trial match and Gibson describing Folau as a ‘beautiful man’ they already have one hand on the trophy
One hand on something, that's for sure.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Did he abandon the Rebels or was he cut loose? The result and the part he plays will be very interesting.

From what I read, the Rebels had a surplus of quality fly-halfs, and Jono Lance was keen to play for an English club where he'd spent some time towards the end of last year until he broke his hand/finger? But ARU didn't want the English adventure to become permanent,as after Foley on a Wallaby requirement the stock of experienced 5/8's was scarce and the Reds needed another quality 5/8. I'm guessing there was a lot of talking going on behind closed doors.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Emuarse, I believe the Rebels had signed Jono for 2018. At some later stage, he wanted to move to the Reds and after some time with the move in the wind, the Rebels agreed to release him.

I would be interested in knowing exactly who the surplus of quality fly-halves at the Rebels are.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I believe the Rebels believe they are well served between Debreczeni, Maddocks, Hodge and McGregor. Whether it proves to be right or wrong time will tell (describing them all as quality 10s would certainly seem teneous) - but I do think that, from an Australian rugby point of view having those 4 plus Lance at the one club would have not have been ideal.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so from my observations of game and training, i'll take a stab at the 23. I don't think Genia will be fit, but if he is then he comes in.
faulkner
uelese
ainsley
coleman
philip
timani
cottrell
mafi
ruru
debreczini (but it could well be the other Jack)
maddocks
hodge
english
koroibete
DHP

maihe (rangi still not fit)
sa'aga
talakai (although he and ainsley could easily be swapped)
jeffries
hardwick (i'd play fainga'a)
goddard
tuipolotu
naivalu (not fully fit yet)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Jim Tucker of 'The Courier Mail', in discussing whether Hamish Stewart or Jono Lance will be selected as run on fly half, observes that it could well be Stewart as Dave Wessels now coach of the Rebels, is familiar with Lance's game, having coached him at The Western Force through 2016/17.
Otherwise they are two very similiar players.

T

TOCC

Emuarse, I believe the Rebels had signed Jono for 2018. At some later stage, he wanted to move to the Reds and after some time with the move in the wind, the Rebels agreed to release him.

Like always there's more to this story, the situation in Melbourne evolved quickly in the last few months of 2017 and priorities and preferences shifted for a few. Ultimately I think the best outcome was reached for everyone involved, although the Rebels first preference was Lance went overseas and not to the Reds.

Reactions: dru

Tex

John Thornett (49)
If Rebels play a tighter game I reckon we're a chance. I'm expecting a rusty team again, but the foundations in the pack and set piece were promising against the Tahs and there are some proven guns in the backline.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
English is never going to be a Wallaby but he's been an asset for us over the years. I think he's going to fall into the trap of other wingers in their latter years who have been shifted to 13. He's got the pace, step and strength to carry the ball there, but I have big question marks about his passing, kicking and distribution generally.

I want to see Sefa play a full season injury free. He and Koroibete in full flight will be worth the price of admission.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
English is never going to be a Wallaby but he's been an asset for us over the years. I think he's going to fall into the trap of other wingers in their latter years who have been shifted to 13. He's got the pace, step and strength to carry the ball there, but I have big question marks about his passing, kicking and distribution generally.

I want to see Sefa play a full season injury free. He and Koroibete in full flight will be worth the price of admission.

I think Tuipolotu would be the best No 13 in the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.