• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 10's tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

An article today on foxsports about the promoters of the Auckland 9's tournament holding talks to hold a Super Rugby 10's tournament in pre-season from 2016.

-Why 10's and not 7's? apparently 10's is more easily transferable for existing XV man teams.
-Plan is to host first tournament in Brisbane..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting. Makes sense to make it 7s but I guess they can incorporate a few of the big name forwards if it's 10s.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I haven't actually seen much publicity for 10s tournaments other than the Corporate 10's held in Brisbane each year. Could there be some sort of connection? Same organizers trying to go a much larger scale?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't see a problem with it being 10s instead of 7s. It makes the event seem more novelty which is what the NRL 9s seem to be going for (sleeveless jerseys fml).

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It'd be great to see this succeed. Perfectly timed to include big European clubs also if they were so inclined. It would be amazing to see some of the star teams involved in this type of thing - think Toulon v Canterbury, Reds v Leinster, Sharks v Bath... all in the same day at a 10-a-side tournament. I've recently started following the UEFA Champions League - amazing to see the best players and teams in the world competing. Rugby could really get a huge boost from such a thing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Really enjoyed the World Club 10s played in Singapore earlier this year. Won by Auckland from the Brumbies iirc. Is much more aligned to the 15s form of the game than 7s which almost seems to be a different game altogether imo.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One great thing about 10s is that it is a lot more like 15s, meaning that most Soup players could potentially play it. Okay, no fatties, but all the rest.

Tactics not all that different, no special aerobic training, so it should be able to slot into normal pre-season training programmes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
From memory, and it was a long time ago, five forwards and five backs. Five man scrum.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really enjoyed the World Club 10s played in Singapore earlier this year. Won by Auckland from the Brumbies iirc. Is much more aligned to the 15s form of the game than 7s which almost seems to be a different game altogether imo.

Which is why it's fucking stupid. May as well make it 15s.. zzzzzz

I've recently started following the UEFA Champions League - amazing to see the best players and teams in the world competing. Rugby could really get a huge boost from such a thing.

That exists - it's called the European Champions Cup.

T

TOCC

XV man teams obviously aren't conducive with the 2 day tournament format..

I think It would be good, if done In a similar fashion to the Auckland 9's we should see a a lot of wider training squad and U20's gain exposure alongside some of the established stars. Making it 10's over 7's should mean some of the bigger blokes like Palu, Browning, TPN etc could play..

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
About time something like this has come up. I for one have been banging on about something like this for ages. It's ridiculous that it took rugby league doing it first for things to happen.

I understand the argument for 10's, but I think 7's would be better. Primarily because 7's is the Olympic sport, and this would be a good way for 15's players to play a little bit of 7's each year. This would a) give them experience in the format, and b) help identify which 15's players would be worth adding to the 7's squad for the Olympics in future. Also, do we really want 3 commercial formats of rugby? Is it too many? Will promoting 10's impact on 7's down the line?

10's does have its advantages though so I don't really mind.

Whatever the case I'd prefer to leave South Africa out of it so it was always played in our time zone. Keep it as a Pacific thing. 10 Aus and NZ Super Rugby teams, plus teams from the islands and Asia, maybe America.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
An article today on foxsports about the promoters of the Auckland 9's tournament holding talks to hold a Super Rugby 10's tournament in pre-season from 2016.

-Why 10's and not 7's? apparently 10's is more easily transferable for existing XV man teams.
-Plan is to host first tournament in Brisbane..

Super rugby 10's pre season tournament then, Super rugby season then, NRC then, Wallabies finally Wallabies spring tour.

Why not throw in a Christmas day game and players can play all year round.

Its a lot of rugby, not much recovery time for the players

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I understand the argument for 10's, but I think 7's would be better. Primarily because 7's is the Olympic sport

But does making something like this a 7s game then devalue the importance of the actual 7s teams? It seems to me like this would be simply a money making pre-season tournament to entertain the crowds, which I have no problem with.

With 7s becoming essentially a stand-alone sport I think playing a 10s tournament in this instance makes more sense.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
About time something like this has come up. I for one have been banging on about something like this for ages. It's ridiculous that it took rugby league doing it first for things to happen.

I understand the argument for 10's, but I think 7's would be better. Primarily because 7's is the Olympic sport, and this would be a good way for 15's players to play a little bit of 7's each year. This would a) give them experience in the format, and b) help identify which 15's players would be worth adding to the 7's squad for the Olympics in future. Also, do we really want 3 commercial formats of rugby? Is it too many? Will promoting 10's impact on 7's down the line?

10's does have its advantages though so I don't really mind.

Whatever the case I'd prefer to leave South Africa out of it so it was always played in our time zone. Keep it as a Pacific thing. 10 Aus and NZ Super Rugby teams, plus teams from the islands and Asia, maybe America.

I like 10s and about 10 or 15 years ago it was quite big, at one stage there was an international schools tournament held at Macquarie Uni which was televised on the ABC IIRC.

However, for whatever reason 10s never really took off and I'm not sure trying to resurrect it is such a great idea. Trying to promote and fund 3 formats of the game only drains resources and exposure from the other 2. IMO rugby needs to make much, much more of our Olympic status to promote the game. While I'm a late convert to 7s, I believe that it is the right vehicle to promote the game in non-traditional rugby areas.

The ARU are flat out funding what we have, how the heck are they going to fund provincial 10s teams as well?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
But does making something like this a 7s game then devalue the importance of the actual 7s teams? It seems to me like this would be simply a money making pre-season tournament to entertain the crowds, which I have no problem with.

With 7s becoming essentially a stand-alone sport I think playing a 10s tournament in this instance makes more sense.

I don't think so, I think it would help spread the 7's gospel to see it being played by some more recognisable players.

And if 15's players are going to try and make Olympics teams in future I think it would be a good idea for them to have at least a little bit of time playing the game before they make such a decision (or before they get picked to join camps and such).

Tying this tournament to the Olympics from a promotional perspective would also be a positive. For example, there has been rumours that the likes of Sonny Bill and Israel Folau have Olympics ambitions for 2016. Imagine this tournament was kicking off in 2015 and both those guys were involved. The speculation about how they'd go and whether they'd be good enough to play at the Olympics would help drive the significance of the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.